THQ shuts down Kaos Studios

#1 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
Article  

That's sad.. Their Battlefield 1942 mod "Desert Combat" is considered one of the greatest PC mods ever made, and their first game Frontlines: Fuel of War is a personal 2008 favorite. 
However, seeing their direction with Homefront, looks like they were turning into another COD-clone factory, so while this is a blow to the employees and their families, it's not exactly a blow to the industry.  
#2 Posted by SSully (4125 posts) -

I am sorry for the developers, it is never good news when people lose jobs, but I can't lie and say I liked any of their games.

#3 Posted by kingzetta (4307 posts) -

oooh they made Homefront.

#4 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -

Homefront, from a storyline perspective, could have been a lot more than it was.  

#5 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

KaosAngel is DEAD!!!

#6 Posted by groin (837 posts) -

I stopped playing Homefront on the second level. My achievement whoreness was not enough to make me finish that terrible game.

#7 Posted by Enigma777 (6057 posts) -

Not surprised. Operating a studio in the middle of Manhattan is expensive as hell, especially when their game does so poorly.

#8 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7049 posts) -

I played Homefront for a day and never touched it again until I traded it in toward Infamous 2. It's never good to see studios shut down but that game was a massive trainwreck when you look at how much advertising they did for it. Yeesh.

#9 Posted by chilibean_3 (1622 posts) -

Oh wow, I wasn't aware they did Desert Combat. That's a shame.

#10 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4970 posts) -

@FourWude said:

KaosAngel is DEAD!!!

I'll bring the chips!

#11 Posted by Rolyatkcinmai (2682 posts) -

Sad. They always had a cool story, going from making mods to games. That said, the games were not great. I never could tell if that was their fault or budget problems.

#12 Posted by DonPixel (2585 posts) -

Well that's what you get when you do shitty games.

#13 Posted by Romination (2775 posts) -

I thought Homefront actually sold pretty well, anyone have any numbers?

#14 Posted by SuperSambo (2853 posts) -

This does seem odd.

Homefront sold well, and I'm sure I read that they were planning more of the games...

Maybe the latest map pack didn't sell and they realised that the game is dead.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.