Here’s What the New Karateka Looks Like

• 57 results
#51 Posted by katelyngadd (67 posts) -

@Wandering_Idiot: Karateka was 'never meant to be cartoony'? Are you Jordan Mechner or are you just extrapolating from absurdly low-res, low-color-count screenshots of the original game?

#52 Posted by Pop (2638 posts) -

I'm gonna wait for a video, I can't tell from the pics. Also I like prince of persia warrior within which had nothing to do with Jordan Mechner except the name prince of persia. boom.

#53 Posted by cikame (1006 posts) -

I'm more inclined to believe Prince of Persia was great thanks to Ubisoft, this seems like a quick phone game cash grab.

#54 Posted by nohthink (1223 posts) -

Love the art style. BUt I have a feeling it's gonna XBOX exclusive....

#55 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Ka-blAH-BLah-blah

This is how I pronounce most foreign words.

#56 Posted by Wandering_Idiot (138 posts) -

@kevingadd said:

@Wandering_Idiot: Karateka was 'never meant to be cartoony'? Are you Jordan Mechner or are you just extrapolating from absurdly low-res, low-color-count screenshots of the original game?

Based on having played the original game. The proportions were realistic, it used rotoscoped animation, and the interface was fairly minimalist. Even the box art was done in a photorealistic style. There was nothing cartoony or exaggerated about it.

#57 Posted by takbai316 (8 posts) -

Looks Great :)

#58 Posted by Eyz (451 posts) -

@Wandering_Idiot said:

@kevingadd said:

Based on having played the original game. The proportions were realistic, it used rotoscoped animation, and the interface was fairly minimalist. Even the box art was done in a photorealistic style. There was nothing cartoony or exaggerated about it.

Every box art was done realistically back then if you lived in Europe or the US!

Even cartoon characters' box art:

#59 Posted by Eyz (451 posts) -

After the surprise of the art style, it looks way more traditional than the recent PoPs. The HUD is kept intact, it still looks like a sidescroller/fighting game.

You know what? I'm loving it so far.

I just need it to play as good and fun as it looks, with some top notch precision and all.

Can't wait to see more on this.

(not everything needs to be photo-realistic to be "good" - I laugh at that term... *sees 1000+ crappy HD-looking games)

Hopefully it runs smoothly.

#60 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2809 posts) -

I think it is the pronunciation is... Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptangya Ziiinnggggggg Ni.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.