Where is Katamari DS?

#1 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

I admit to being somewhat partial to Katamari.  It is so damned adorable.  It is just a good, fun game to play (on the PS2).  We have a 360 game and we have a PSP game, crimey, we have an iPhone Katamari, but where the hell is a DS game?


It was rumoured as far back as 2005.  I even found this artwork, but no real information.


The DS is perfectly suited to the game.  If they can port Viva Pinata successfully from the 360, then they can do it for the DS for Katamari.  Who else is amazed a Katamari DS hasn't happened yet?  Don't get me started on why it should be on the Wii as well :P
#2 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -

I'll be amazed if it is hasn't died yet, if it ever existed, and that art work is probably fake.

#3 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -

Wouldn't you have to remove a ton of stuff to get a game like that to work? I mean, just the amount of things that would need to be on screen might be too much for the DS. But I'm not much of a hardware guy.

Ooh! They could make it like the 2D Katamari from the credits on Me and My Katamari. Oh man, that would actually be really neat.

#4 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Snail said:
"I'll be amazed if it is hasn't died yet, if it ever existed, and that art work is probably fake."
Considering the length of time since rumours, you are probaly right, but they are missing out on a potentially high selling game and the profit that goes with it.  They nade it for the iPhone dammit!

.... and yes, that cover is likely fake, made up for the sake of a coversation on this subject (not by me though :P)
#5 Posted by harris (848 posts) -

I wouldn't mind a DS Katamari game, although I'm not sure how the DS would handle the game. Lack of processing power could be a deal-breaker.

#6 Posted by Jayge_ (10222 posts) -

I'm not quite sure how the DS would handle both the graphics and controls of a Katamari game.

#7 Posted by CoolDrMoney (1978 posts) -

I remember hearing the rumors in 05. At first I thought the series was destined to be a Sony exclusive, but that's obviously not the case. They do have that DSiWare Katamari puzzle game coming out, so maybe it's setting the stage for a true Katamari DS title.

#8 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
License_To_Bill said:
"Wouldn't you have to remove a ton of stuff to get a game like that to work? I mean, just the amount of things that would need to be on screen might be too much for the DS. But I'm not much of a hardware guy. Ooh! They could make it like the 2D Katamari from the credits on Me and My Katamari. Oh man, that would actually be really neat. "
harris said:
"I wouldn't mind a DS Katamari game, although I'm not sure how the DS would handle the game. Lack of processing power could be a deal-breaker."
That would be avalid point if it were not for Viva Pinata.  That is virtually the 360 game intact, plus more.  It runs great - lots of colour, items and movement.
#9 Posted by End_Boss (3220 posts) -

Dude, but seriously...
Wouldn't a Katamari for the DS be kinda'...
Awesome?

#10 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

The answer to your question, is in a video I posted in a thread you created about DSi Ware. They opted for another style of game.

It would be difficult for the DS to handle the games engine I think..

#11 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
"The answer to your question, is in a video I posted in a thread you created about DSi Ware. They opted for another style of game."
But is that a substitute for a full and proper Katamari DS?  Probably not.
#12 Edited by Linkyshinks (9881 posts) -

Of course not, I would love to see the game in it's original form on DS. Perhaps they might now be able to, on DSi Ware. Those games can take advantage of a increase in RAM.

#13 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Linkyshinks said:
It would be difficult for the DS to handle the games engine I think.."
See my response on Viva Pinata.  I think we underestimate what the little beast can achieve (like Chinatown Wars).  It shouldn't be a port, but a custom built game.  I see no reason to believe it isn't possible from a technical standpoint.
#14 Posted by Snail (8574 posts) -
Jayge said:
"I'm not quite sure how the DS would handle both the graphics and controls of a Katamari game."
The controls would be adaptable through the touch screen.

And concerning the graphics, have you see Chinatown Wars?
#15 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Snail said:
"Jayge said:
"I'm not quite sure how the DS would handle both the graphics and controls of a Katamari game."
The controls would be adaptable through the touch screen.And concerning the graphics, have you see Chinatown Wars?"
Glad we agree :-)
#16 Posted by License_To_Bill (792 posts) -
oldschool said:
"Linkyshinks said:
It would be difficult for the DS to handle the games engine I think.."
See my response on Viva Pinata.  I think we underestimate what the little beast can achieve (like Chinatown Wars).  It shouldn't be a port, but a custom built game.  I see no reason to believe it isn't possible from a technical standpoint.
"
Still, a typical Katamari game has thousands of items in a single room.
#17 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -

If a PSP, a PS2 and an iTouch can do it, then is still no reason that the DS can't.  Buit specifically for it that is.

#18 Posted by Ossi (1229 posts) -

I hope one does come out on the DS, I loved the one on the 360.

#19 Posted by Giantsquirrel (601 posts) -

Please no. No no no. I have too many copies of Katamari on fucking everything.

#20 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Ossi said:
"I hope one does come out on the DS, I loved the one on the 360."
I downloaded the demo and I am keeping my eye on the store price (still $60, a bit high).

Giantsquirrel said:
"Please no. No no no. I have too many copies of Katamari on fucking everything."
What's one more man???????  You're a squirrel right, it's your job to gather :P
#21 Posted by Kush (8889 posts) -

I've never been that big of a fan of the series (mainly due to the controls), but I can see this franchise being perfect for the DS and the touch screen...I would actually be excited to play a Katamari game on the DS. Also, I'm pretty sure you can grab a copy of the 360 version for $20 new at Wal-Mart, but I'm not quite sure (I grabbed a used copy for $10 at my local Blockbuster :P ).

#22 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Kush said:
"I've never been that big of a fan of the series (mainly due to the controls), but I can see this franchise being perfect for the DS and the touch screen...I would actually be excited to play a Katamari game on the DS. Also, I'm pretty sure you can grab a copy of the 360 version for $20 new at Wal-Mart, but I'm not quite sure (I grabbed a used copy for $10 at my local Blockbuster :P )."
If I could get a copy of the 360 version for $20 (about $30 in my currency), I would pick it up.  It wasn't a game that had a lot of copies on the market and that tends to hold the price up.  I am keeping a close eye on the copies I see around.
#23 Posted by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -
harris said:
"I wouldn't mind a DS Katamari game, although I'm not sure how the DS would handle the game. Lack of processing power could be a deal-breaker."
If the iPhone can do it, I'm sure the DS can.
Moderator
#24 Posted by RavenholmDX (172 posts) -

Katamari would be suited well on DS with the touch screen...

#25 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
TotallyEpic said:
"Katamari would be suited well on DS with the touch screen..."
If they can make one for the PS3 with 20% of the potential customers, then it is madness to ignore the DS.  It is perfectly suited to the demographics of the DS as well.
#26 Posted by RavenholmDX (172 posts) -
oldschool said:
"TotallyEpic said:
"Katamari would be suited well on DS with the touch screen..."
If they can make one for the PS3 with 20% of the potential customers, then it is madness to ignore the DS.  It is perfectly suited to the demographics of the DS as well.
"

Exactly...maybe the developers have beef with Nintendo? I don't recall there being a game on Wii...
#27 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -

Well there is (will be) this on DSiWare.

#28 Posted by RavenholmDX (172 posts) -
Endogene said:
"Well there is (will be) this on DSiWare."
That might as well not be Katamari :P
#29 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
TotallyEpic said:
"Endogene said:
"Well there is (will be) this on DSiWare."
That might as well not be Katamari :P"
It certainly is no substitute, that's for sure.
#30 Posted by Endogene (4741 posts) -
oldschool said:
"TotallyEpic said:
"Endogene said:
"Well there is (will be) this on DSiWare."
That might as well not be Katamari :P"
It certainly is no substitute, that's for sure.
"
I guess you could see it as hope.
#31 Posted by oldschool (7264 posts) -
Endogene said:
"oldschool said:
"TotallyEpic said:
"Endogene said:
"Well there is (will be) this on DSiWare."
That might as well not be Katamari :P"
It certainly is no substitute, that's for sure.
"
I guess you could see it as hope. "
True - testing the water perhaps?
#32 Posted by RavenholmDX (172 posts) -

I guess we could...

Maybe Katamari has it's days numbered...The last 360 version did not sell well at all IIRC.

#33 Posted by AgentJ (8778 posts) -

I dont think that's the case. Theres a new Katamari coming out soon for the PS3.

#34 Posted by RavenholmDX (172 posts) -
AgentJ said:
"I dont think that's the case. Theres a new Katamari coming out soon for the PS3."
A PS3 version is almost like a safe bet though, Katamari was massive on PS2, and I'm sure a portion of its fans got a PS3 this generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.