I kinda feel like I can't play this anymore.

• 70 results
#1 Edited by ashogo (944 posts) -

I just finished Emi's route, which, despite kind of stumbling into by accident, I ended up finding very affecting. I'm impressed by the way the game developed her character. I'm impressed with the fact that it didn't just end on chapter two with 'you scored the girl! roll credits!' I'm impressed by the sincerity and heart with which the game treats most of its subject matter, and that the sex scenes actually make sense in the context of the relationship arc, and even help push it forward (even though it's slightly weird how young Emi looks in all the CGs--that is to say even younger than she already does).

But now, I kind of feel like I have to stop playing this game. I guess it's a testament to my level of attachment to the character, but I feel like I would be doing something horribly unscrupulous, breaking some fragile trust or something, if I just dove back in to pursue another girl. Maybe I just need to give it a little break before going back in.

Did anyone else get this feeling after finishing the game for their first time?

#2 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -

Why does everyone end up with Emi the first time through?

And no, I didn't feel that way, although the game was emotionally affecting for sure. I wanted to go back and play a different route to see how differently they handled things.

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

Because nobody has the balls to say no to the Nurse.

And I can understand how you feel about this. I think I pointed it out in my blog and my review. Still, I'd say dive into the other girls. All their routes are much better, and I don't really mean to insult poor Emi.

#4 Posted by No0b0rAmA (1478 posts) -

had this same problem. Answer? MAN UP AND KEEP PLAYING BRO.

That said, I personally didn't really like the Emi route very much, apparently the Rin and Lilly routes are really good.

#5 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

And I can understand how you feel about this. I think I pointed it out in my blog and my review. Still, I'd say dive into the other girls. All their routes are much better, and I don't really mean to insult poor Emi.

If you end up at that school, not having the balls is a very real possibility.

#6 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4701 posts) -

I understand where you are coming from but If you liked Emi route i'd suggest trying the others out. You may prefer some of them. Or you could stop here and be done with the game.

#7 Posted by Hunter5024 (5959 posts) -

I played through one route and got bored halfway through. Probably because the character I ended up getting stuck with based on my decisions was the least appealing to me.

#8 Edited by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I kinda felt like that after finishing Emi's story(I did it first to like so many). Just give yourself a break from it and go after someone else. If you can't do it, then don't. I still found myself compelled to try out different girls like Lily and Rin.

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

If you end up at that school, not having the balls is a very real possibility.

Are you saying that in the sense that it would be a physical disability, or that you'd be a woman? (TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. TWO DIFFERENT THINGS.)

#10 Posted by stonepawfox (236 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA: i don't think the rin route is very good. all through it i was struck by the writing being pretty horrible, i'm not sure how any of the other stories are.

#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5052 posts) -

Anal

#12 Posted by ashogo (944 posts) -

Yeah, I'm sure I'll play it again eventually. I just liked that the game could make me care enough that it gave me pause when I thought about replaying it. I think I wanted to go for Lilly in the first place.

@FluxWaveZ: Probably because, at least in my case, it didn't feel super clear that I was making choices about which route I would take. I certainly didn't realize that deciding to run faster and give myself a heart attack was going to lock me into Emi's route.

#13 Posted by Petiew (1360 posts) -
@Fallen189 said:
Anal
This. Now go play Fate Stay Night for even better hillariously described sex scenes.
#14 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@No0b0rAmA said:

had this same problem. Answer? MAN UP AND KEEP PLAYING BRO.

That said, I personally didn't really like the Emi route very much, apparently the Rin and Lilly routes are really good.

Being the pro that I am, I got the girl I wanted on the first playthrough, Lilly Satou baby.

#15 Posted by dagas (2927 posts) -

It was never as powerful as the first time (went with the blind girl). But that is true for most games.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

The only canon ending is Manly Picnic. Keep playing until you get that one.

#17 Posted by llamaegg (231 posts) -

Lily has the best route in the game.

And is the best girl of the game.

Seriously.

#18 Posted by jayspadez (99 posts) -

ill admit i gave the game a try and im not into this kind of stuff but i figured what the hell. i disabled the adult scenes and ran with it. i ended up stumbling into the emi on but i must admit it was well done and i applaud them for touching the subject the way they did. if you took all the naughty stuff out of it, that story alone would make for a good movie if you changed a few thing. props to the guys who worked on this, i can tell alot of thought and care was put into this novel

#19 Posted by Sweep (8975 posts) -

I found the game utterly awkward, embarrassing, and transparent. As a result, I am immensely looking forward to the Katawa Shoujo endurance run.

#20 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

You guys are fucking creepy, let me get this right it is a dating sim at a disability school that involves anal sex.

#21 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

You guys are fucking creepy, let me get this right it is a dating sim at a disability school that involves anal sex.

Yup, that's it. You hit the nail on the head by reading responses about the VN in this thread. Most certainly the one that praised it even after disabling the sex portions. There's nothing else of value in it.

#22 Posted by Demoskinos (15132 posts) -
@Bourbon_Warrior

Hey, disabled girls need to get thiers too.
#23 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Dating sims are another thing entirely and what do you have against fictional people having sex? The stories are about the people and their problems, not their disabilities.

#24 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Having no idea what this is and taking the content out of context I feel like I can give this the "wtf is this shit" stamp.

Also the original post reads like a future serial killer's love for an imaginary wife. I don't belong here.

#25 Posted by ImHungry (377 posts) -

I took about a week break from finishing my first route(Hanako) before diving into the others so yeah I understand where you're coming form. Hanako is also still my favourite.

#26 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Dude, even the people who had that opinion when the game came out have since played it. Where have you been?

#27 Posted by AlexanderSheen (5089 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

Being the pro that I am, I got the girl I wanted on the first playthrough, Lilly Satou baby.

Me too. I wanted her route too and I don't remember how, but I accidentally got to her on my first try.

@llamaegg said:

Seriously.

High five!

#28 Posted by Jrad (624 posts) -

I only played Emi's route. Didn't care for the character designs of the others. The other girls lacked any appeal.

#29 Edited by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen

Agree with Lilly, but Rin is the most interesting/best written.

#30 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

You guys need to get out more, get this creepy shit off Giant Bomb

#31 Posted by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior:

#32 Posted by AndrewB (7689 posts) -

@ervonymous: Unfortunately, you can't cute people like that into understanding.

#33 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Now there's the the definition of taken out of context reduction. In fact, the things I got from this game had nothing to do with "dating sim" or "anal sex", hell I could probably enjoy the game just as well without the sex, because it's (except perhaps in certain contexts) almost completely situational and irrelevant to the point. At least, the points I was getting from the game.

#34 Posted by Animasta (14719 posts) -

@Pezen: it's still a dating sim no matter what you say, since you don't get any happy endings not dating any girl or breaking up with them

#35 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

@Animasta: I don't recall making the argument that it wasn't a dating sim. In fact, I don't really care what umbrella it falls under because that's completely irrelevant to me.

#36 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Pezen said:

@Animasta: I don't recall making the argument that it wasn't a dating sim.

@Pezen said:

this game had nothing to do with "dating sim"

#37 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Pezen said:

@Animasta: I don't recall making the argument that it wasn't a dating sim.

@Pezen said:

this game had nothing to do with "dating sim"

Is that you Romney?

#38 Posted by DystopiaX (5360 posts) -

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Swoxx said:

Me too. I wanted her route too and I don't remember how, but I accidentally got to her on my first try.

@llamaegg said:

Seriously.

High five!

I'd probably feel that way if I hadn't stumbled into Emi's route my first playthrough, so she remains my favorite.

#39 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

Where was everybody when this happened months ago? It's like if everyone suddenly got upset over ME3 again.

#40 Edited by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

@AlexanderSheen said:

@Swoxx said:

@llamaegg said:

Seriously.

High five!

I'd probably feel that way if I hadn't stumbled into Emi's route my first playthrough, so she remains my favorite.

There's no one like your first.

I tried to go back to it, go for someone else. I just couldn't.

@Ravenlight said:

Where was everybody when this happened months ago? It's like if everyone suddenly got upset over ME3 again.

Yep, this was one of the first games I played this year. And it still has a sure spot on the upper half of my top 10 list.

Also

#41 Posted by Pezen (1668 posts) -

@MikkaQ: Wait. What? Really, you're going to quote part of a sentence out of context and prove me wrong? Jesus. Sure, that part sure does make it sound like I am saying it's not a dating sim. What was I thinking making such a complete error in a sentence stating something completely different.

#42 Posted by 49th (2843 posts) -

I don't want to keep playing this dating sim because I might hurt the feelings of an imaginary anime girl I've done sex scenes with, oh yeah she looked like a child in them too that's kind of wierd whatever. she's my waifu

#43 Posted by TobbRobb (4840 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: Fun to know you are still a dick. <3

@Swoxx: He's not there because you guys ARE CRAZY.

#44 Posted by TwilitEnd656 (617 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Sshhhh, ssssshhhhh. Keep it down. We don't want people to relapse, do we?

#45 Posted by psylah (2185 posts) -

Where are all the mainstream husbando simulators?

And don't say Bioware makes them.

#46 Posted by MikkaQ (10344 posts) -

@Pezen said:

@MikkaQ: Wait. What? Really, you're going to quote part of a sentence out of context and prove me wrong? Jesus. Sure, that part sure does make it sound like I am saying it's not a dating sim. What was I thinking making such a complete error in a sentence stating something completely different.

You literally said you didn't get "dating sim" from this game, despite the fact that the game is a dating sim. It's like playing COD and saying "Well I didn't really get a modern military shooter vibe from this game".

If you're playing it for other reasons, fine, I'm not judging or anything, but it doesn't matter cause the game is what it is. No sense in debating genre.

#47 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@MikkaQ said:

@Pezen said:

You literally said you didn't get "dating sim" from this game, despite the fact that the game is a dating sim. It's like playing COD and saying "Well I didn't really get a modern military shooter vibe from this game".

If you're playing it for other reasons, fine, I'm not judging or anything, but it doesn't matter cause the game is what it is. No sense in debating genre.

The genre is Visual Novel if anything.

#48 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

Yes, but genre != theme.

#49 Posted by Swoxx (3008 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Swoxx said:

Yes, but genre != theme.

No, the theme is romance and dating.

#50 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19386 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

No, the theme is romance and dating.

Yes. I didn't say anything to the contrary.

Edit (to your reply): Well, I'm confused, but alright.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.