Katawa Seiyu

#1 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

Not entirely sure how much anyone on this website in particular still follows Katawa Shoujo, but I felt maybe I should share this just for the sake of it.

Katawa Seiyu is a fanmade voice acting dub over Katawa Shoujo shown in a video format. Honestly I was a bit skeptical of the entire thing, in fact I ended up having some bad blood with just about everyone involved in it because I showed my dislike the whole idea of trying to voice over a visual novel almost a year after release with the original developers strongly disapproving. As someone who was following the game since 2008 and got to know most of the developers, I thought the entire thing was a terrible idea that was just going to flop and end up making KS look bad.

There are a few parts out, and I'm somewhat impressed. I even ended up appologizing to most of the people who make it because most of my complaints were wrong. Honestly the voice actors they have chosen are, for the most part, god awful. Kenji sounds like complete ass. But the visual effects sure are nice and make it worth watching, if just to see where it's going.

What do you guys think? I know for sure a few of my friends were particularly impressed.

#2 Posted by Demoskinos (15029 posts) -

I sense the approach of ....

#3 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Not a fan of the voice. Sounds less like a high school kid and more like some dude.

#4 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: For Hisao, yes. I'm not entirely sure what they were thinking. He sounds pretty damn old for a kid in high school, even if it is senior year.

#5 Posted by Hunter5024 (5839 posts) -

Voice acting is overrated. That being said, it's definitely not the worst I've heard.

#6 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1702 posts) -

No, that is all

#7 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

Not a fan. Their voices don't match the characters. Especially Hisao.

#8 Posted by Subjugation (4726 posts) -

What timing. I just started playing this last night and I was pretty struck by it. The idea of disabilities having a central role certainly offered a different perspective than your typical take on this genre. It's generally pretty respectful too.

I don't know if I'm a huge fan of the voice of Hisao though.

#9 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

@Subjugation: Keep playing the game, don't bother with this until you're done. Katawa Shoujo itself is amazing

#10 Posted by TobbRobb (4760 posts) -

Who put voices in my fucking book? Ok I'm kidding, these guys can do whatever they want, and for all intents and purposes it looks fairly well made with some HEART in it. But this is a reaaaally, reaaally unneccessary project and I can't say the choice for Hisao's voice is all that great.

I'm generally against voice acting when the game isn't cinematic, I'm a reading kind of person. Having someone else read the same thing loudly and a lot slower at the same time is really distracting. (I've been kind of alright with japanese voices though, it's just background noise, and the tone can help make the personality shine through.)

TLDR: MEH, good job on not making the idea a total failure, still not good or interesting enough though.

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

Nope, not into it. Especially for Hisao, I'd much rather imagine the voices in my head than hear them.

I'm usually opposed to this kinda thing, but the Persona 4 Hiimdaisy comic dub turned out great, so I guess I'd need to see more of this.

#12 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ:

Are you saying we should make Katawa Hiimdaisy?

#13 Posted by Subjugation (4726 posts) -

@Camoufrage: It is. I managed to get through the Emi branch and it unloaded 1.3 metric tonnes of feel on me. I'm not sure how I missed this when it came out.

Also, Kenji is the strangest character ..

#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19372 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: If she wasn't finished doing her parody comics, a Katawa Shoujo one would be wonderful.

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ:

If she couldn't finish Persona 4, I have serious doubts she could handle Katawa Shoujo.

#16 Posted by Apathylad (3067 posts) -

Skimmed the video. Voice acting for Hisao seems fine, but the voice doesn't match the character. He sounds a bit older.

#17 Posted by Animasta (14715 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@FluxWaveZ:

If she couldn't finish Persona 4, I have serious doubts she could handle Katawa Shoujo.

she stopped because she wanted to do her own shit instead of basing it off of something else. She could've finished Persona 4, she just didn't want to

she does... cucumber quest as I recall

#18 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

@Subjugation: It had about a month of pure internet fame then basically disappeared entirely. If you weren't paying attention during the initial hype I don't see it being talked about too much.

@TobbRobb: Completely agree, absolutely unnecessary for Katawa Shoujo. But it could be much worse, at least they aren't butchering the game.

#19 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Flagged for Youtube spam and for promoting a really creepy game

#20 Posted by Camoufrage (84 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: I take it you havent played KS

#21 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Camoufrage: Why do you play this game?

#22 Posted by Subjugation (4726 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior: There is plenty of writing to go with it to encourage discussion.

#23 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

It's cool that the community is big/dedicated enough to make VO for the game but I'm really not enjoying it.

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Flagged for Youtube spam and for promoting a really creepy game

What's up the the hostility, duder? Being closed-minded and trying to censor something that other people enjoyed seems much worse than any sort of creepiness.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.