Katawa Shoujo: Don't knock it 'till you've tried it

#101 Posted by McShank (1629 posts) -

i enjoy the game some,, there are 2 things that bug me though,, The teacher looks really bad and i dont like the backgrounds of a real location,, It really bugs me and makes it harder to enjoy the game.. I would have rather of had some crappy drawing of backgrounds then the real locations :(

#102 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@Psycosis said:

@Video_Game_King: Celebrate when you beat my Tears to Tiara page.

It's getting more and more tempting to do a Katawa Shoujo playthrough for the site. Perhaps I could get 1000000000 points on one page alone.

#103 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: I don't see why anyone would want to use a walk-through for a game like this, talk about ruining the experience for yourself. Also, my love interest (Lilly) I could totally write 150,000 words on her. <3

#104 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Would you actually upload the entire game to the image gallery? :P

Madman.

#105 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@Video_Game_King: Would you actually upload the entire game to the image gallery? :P

Pretty much.

#106 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Just gonna repeat, madman.

Also, I will respectfully accept second place in postcount on this page.

#107 Posted by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Excellent read.  Pretty much sums up my thoughts about the game, before and after.  I really enjoyed it once it took off and went back to experience all endings. 

#108 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@Video_Game_King: Just gonna repeat, madman.

I was a madman long before this.

#109 Posted by Rehtayne (127 posts) -

@McShank: I actually think using real pictures helped draw attention away from Yamaku and the rest of the settings, and towards the characters, which were arguably the most important part of Katawa Shoujo. As for Mutou's poor appearance... It fits the man, and not for the better.

#110 Posted by VierasTalo (650 posts) -

v@msavo said:

I tried it. I got with the blind girl and the girl with no legs. I thought some lines and conversations were well written but the majority was either annoying or laughingly bad.

Pretty much this. I read, played or what you want to call it, for about an hour when it came out. I'm extremely open towards the medium of visual novels despite this being my first poke at it, I'll be sure to try out the post-apo VN that mentioned briefly a few posts above. Katawa Shoujo however just felt off. For one, I wasn't a huge fan of the backgrounds being mostly stock photos with mediocre photoshop filters over them (or perhaps they were drawn over, no less). But that's a bit nitpicky, just something I noticed a bit too often. The biggest issue I had early on was the writing. It seemed like it was going places, but the endless array of pseudo-heartfelt nonsense that outpoured during the hospital episode was just absurd. I understand that the repetition of specific emotions is an everyday occurance in situations such as this - hell, I see it every day since I work in a hospital ward for terminally ill cancer patients - but writing several walls of text full of back-and-forth pondering over whether or not this is a situation worth living in is hardly what I'd call entertaining reading since the points are made very early on, and after that's it's just the aforementioned back and forth. It's especially grueling for someone such as myself who doesn't have English as a native language, and I'm a slow reader even in Finnish. As the game continued and the dialogue came along, it was turning alright, but the main character was still something of such a plain creation I couldn't be bothered to care for his plight. I enjoyed the occasional chat with the girls and whatnot, but most of the non-dialogue writing continued to be drowsy and dull. I stopped around the 90-minute mark when I had made three choices during the entire game and realized it probably wouldn't be picking up any time soon.

Still, I know the genre has more to offer and am certainly looking into it a bit more thoroughly.

Online
#111 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@VierasTalo said:

v@msavo said:

I tried it. I got with the blind girl and the girl with no legs. I thought some lines and conversations were well written but the majority was either annoying or laughingly bad.

Still, I know the genre has more to offer and am certainly looking into it a bit more thoroughly.

It has, Katawa Shoujo is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from good compared to some other VN's.

#112 Posted by Psycosis (389 posts) -

Emi's route was weird for me, I can easily call it the worst and the best route in the same sentence and mean both of them at the exact same time. Without revealing too much about my terrible personal life, that route was me and my current boyfriend. In fact, that route was so much what I already have had to put up with, there were points where I didn't want to continue the story because I knew exactly what was about to be said by either Emi or Hisao at key points in the story. And no sir I did not like it.

The appeal of Kenji is definitely more apparent if you play all of the routes. While he's a nutter and fulfils the 'stupid best friend' role that a lot of visual novels have, he has an actual story that's spread out across all five routes. He also has one of the better visual gags in the game when he takes off his glasses, which for some reason made me laugh so much I had to stop playing for a few minutes.

#113 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@VierasTalo said:

v@msavo said:

I tried it. I got with the blind girl and the girl with no legs. I thought some lines and conversations were well written but the majority was either annoying or laughingly bad.

Still, I know the genre has more to offer and am certainly looking into it a bit more thoroughly.

It has, Katawa Shoujo is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from good compared to some other VN's.

This is true, and not surprising given that the game was developed by a small independent team in which each girl's route was written by a separate author. It would be silly to judge the standards of the genre as a whole by the game, but quality of the writing aside, it does represent some of the positive elements of he genre.

#114 Posted by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Cloudenvy said:

@VierasTalo said:

v@msavo said:

I tried it. I got with the blind girl and the girl with no legs. I thought some lines and conversations were well written but the majority was either annoying or laughingly bad.

Still, I know the genre has more to offer and am certainly looking into it a bit more thoroughly.

It has, Katawa Shoujo is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from good compared to some other VN's.

This is true, and not surprising given that the game was developed by a small independent team in which each girl's route was written by a separate author. It would be silly to judge the standards of the genre as a whole by the game, but quality of the writing aside, it does represent some of the positive elements of he genre.

Exactly. Kudos to the development team for actually ever releasing this thing..The fact that this whole project came together is impressive to me.

#115 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Hey cloud, go away!

#116 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Swoxx: Why? D:

#117 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: Katawa Shoujo is not mediocre!

#118 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Swoxx: It is kind of bad when compared to high budget VN's!

(iiiiiiiiiiiin myyyyyyyyyy opinion)

#119 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@Cloudenvy: Katawa Shoujo is not mediocre!

Exactly. It's pretty awesome.

#120 Edited by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Cloudenvy: You're bad compared to high budget VN's. Yeah that's right, come at me.

#121 Posted by Rudeboy217 (1765 posts) -

As someone who also has never played a VN before, this was a really interesting read. I think I may now have to check this out.

#122 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

@Swoxx: I am! I agree!

High budget VN's are pretty dope!

#123 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

Cutest conversation ever.

#124 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

Not gonna lie, jumped to the same "oh its a disabled chick banging sim" conclusion you did and haven't considered it since... Great read, but your caveats involving the sex scenes don't really sell me on your point that "nothing could be farther from the truth".... But I gave Dark Souls a go, so hell, I'll give this a shot, too.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fucking hentai. Since you and Swoxx wouldn't stop talking about it, eh, I'll try it :P Fucking hentai.

Haha yeah pretty much this.

#125 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

Not gonna lie, jumped to the same "oh its a disabled chick banging sim" conclusion you did and haven't considered it since... Great read, but your caveats involving the sex scenes don't really sell me on your point that "nothing could be farther from the truth".... But I gave Dark Souls a go, so hell, I'll give this a shot, too.

@AhmadMetallic said:

Fucking hentai. Since you and Swoxx wouldn't stop talking about it, eh, I'll try it :P Fucking hentai.

Haha yeah pretty much this.

The sex scenes are a very minor aspect of the game and are completely optional. You can avoid them by turning on the game's content filter.

#126 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

Man, alright but I'm going into this with the same exact mentality that you did. I'm trusting you on this one!

#127 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

The sex scenes are a very minor aspect of the game and are completely optional. You can avoid them by turning on the game's content filter.

You still see them, though; it's just that the sexy parts are replaced with pictures of a sponge or an octopus or some shit.

#128 Posted by Encephalon (1238 posts) -

Wow. I'm actually really glad I read this, because I was about to go all "disabled girl fucking simulator nooooo", too. I still will probably never play it, because it's a anime-styled dating sim and that's just not my bag, but I found this read pleasantly illuminating. Good on ya.

#129 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

On a side note, what are some other good VNs? This experience fucked me in the head and now I don't know if I can manage without my fix.

#130 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

#131 Posted by CaptainCody (1505 posts) -

@MattyFTM said:

In hindsight, I can certainly see a humorous side to the lemon lube scene too, but at the time I was just staring at it thinking "What the fuck?". I mean, it seemed shoehorned in and didn't seem like something those characters would do.Too tired to acknowledge if I'm double posting. The reason for that scene was because

The reason for that scene was because Emi was emotionally distraught after finding out she was now wheel chair bound again and would be unable to run to escape her emotions so she wanted to use Hisao as a friend with benefits essentially. Not letting him get too close but close enough so that she could keep her problems bottled up. Unfortunately the lack of a condom made their options fairly limited.

#132 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

*facepalm*

#133 Posted by ZombiePie (5562 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@awesomeusername said:

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

*facepalm*

Well I didn't read this blog out of principle.

Moderator
#134 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -

@ZombiePie said:

@Swoxx said:

@awesomeusername said:

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

*facepalm*

Well I didn't read this blog out of principle.

And what principle would that be?

#135 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -

@CaptainCody said:

On a side note, what are some other good VNs? This experience fucked me in the head and now I don't know if I can manage without my fix.

The Ace Attorney games are the best I've played. 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors is also great. These aren't that emotionally moving, though (at least the AA games). Plus, none of these deal with relationships the same way Katawa Shoujo does.

Some people also like Digital: A Love Story and its spiritual sequel, don't take it personally, babe, but this just ain't your story. I think they suck.

#136 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

I, uh, no.

Well yes, but no.

I hope it helped.

#137 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@awesomeusername said:

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

I, uh, no.

Well yes, but no.

I hope it helped.

No boobs no play!!!

#138 Posted by Hailinel (23689 posts) -

@awesomeusername: Not sure if trolling.

#139 Posted by Video_Game_King (35838 posts) -
#140 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@ZombiePie said:

@Swoxx said:

@awesomeusername said:

@MattyFTM: I didn't read because it's too long and I'm too tired to read right now so one question. Boobies???

*facepalm*

Well I didn't read this blog out of principle.

And what principle would that be?

My school principal.

#141 Posted by awesomeusername (4153 posts) -

@Hailinel: Trolling at it's finest.(: Seriously though, not trolling. Just joking around.

#142 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

People should try this game before passing judgement. It's fucking free.

#143 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

My first exposure to this game was from seeing LordXavierBritish's post from the recent topics on the front page, and going "that sounds like a long dev time I guess" and ignoring it. It was around a week later that I saw it again and followed through. Once I realized it was free I was set to try it, having never really had the concept of a visual novel brought to my attention before (looking back I did play Digital: A Love Story and I guess that counts). I went in with no expectations and barely any concept of what it was about except that it revolved around disabled students, and I loved it. I loved it and loved it then loved it some more.

I've gone to every friend I have and spread the word ignoring all the weird looks they give me at first. Only one of them has taken the hint and picked it up (a girl, actually) and it sounds like she is having just as much fun with it as I did. The best thing I can tell anyone looking at it is to just play it, don't worry to much about what your getting into. Give Katawa Shoujo you hand and it will take you to a magical place.

Also, Lilly all the way.

#144 Posted by Swoxx (2988 posts) -

@Centimani said:

Also, Lilly all the way.

Finally a man of my own tastes!

#145 Posted by Centimani (550 posts) -

@Swoxx said:

@Centimani said:

Also, Lilly all the way.

Finally a man of my own tastes!

#146 Posted by Turambar (6641 posts) -
@MikkaQ said:

@TobbRobb said:

@MikkaQ: Dude! I know this great book, it has a lot of picturesm but it's 99% text. The characters are endearing and well written, I think you might like it. BOOK

I hope you actually realise what a Visual Novel is before comparing it to books.

I know what a visual novel is. They're nothing like traditional novels. The narrative style is completely different, and is mostly composed of dialogue. Imagine reading a novel that was just dialogue... it would be awful! Plus like most\all games, it's written at a pretty simplistic reading level, which is fine for the purposes they serve, but it's not really what I'm looking for when I sit down to read something, either.

That isn't really correct actually.  A direct analog of VNs in book form would be a Choose Your Own Adventure type novel where the narrator is the protagonist.  There is a lot of dialogue, sure, but there's plenty of narration as well.  That said, if you're looking for complexity in prose and verbiage, no, a VN is probably not the place to go.
 
I personally deal with enough heavy reading in the form of my academic studies, so something lighter like this is a welcomed distraction for the purpose of leisure.
#147 Posted by Lykos (66 posts) -

Yeah, Katawa Shoujo is pretty great. I knew about this game for a while, but didn't know what to expect in terms of quality. Thankfully, it surprised me in the best way possible. I'm currently going through Hanako's route so far, but aside from that, I think in order of how much I liked the routes, it would be:

Lily (My fave girl so far)

Emi

Rin

Shizune

Also, if you want a visual novel that's pretty much a darker, more gruesome version of Phoenix Wright, try Kara no Shoujo. Lemme warn you though, some of the images in the game are gruesome, and there are sex scenes, but the murder mystery story was very engaging, enough for me to stomach the gruesome images to get to the end. The art is also pretty good too:

GIve it a shot if you have an iron will for gruesome murder scenes.

#148 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19305 posts) -
@Lykos said: 

Also, if you want a visual novel that's pretty much a darker, more gruesome version of Phoenix Wright, try Kara no Shoujo.

Are you sure about that comparison? If there are no court scenes, how can it possibly resemble Phoenix Wright?
#149 Posted by Lykos (66 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: I guess in the way that you try to piece out who the culprit is through clues and investigation. It's less courtroom antics and more investigation. So I guess the courtroom stuff isn't there, but the general spirit of "figure out the true culprit through clues and your own mind" is still there.

Also, the main protagonist kinda looks like Edgeworth:

#150 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Man, you were right. This is a pretty neat experience. It's hard to find a place to stop. Thanks for the recommendation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.