Katawa Shoujo: Don't knock it 'till you've tried it

#301 Posted by Whitelock (19 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Lilly, I found out I was more emotionally attached than I thought I was. was definitely not expecting that ending.

#302 Posted by Qodot (105 posts) -

It's pretty funny reading people saying "Ehhhh, I don't know..." a few days back, and then seeing that their avatars have now been changed to Katawa Shoujo pics.

#303 Posted by Jeffsekai (7026 posts) -

4chan made the best story driven game in a long time. Go figure.

#304 Posted by TobbRobb (4580 posts) -
@Jeffsekai: The team wasn't really that 4channy, it was mostly the idea that came from a few sketches found on 4chan, chunks of the team didn't have a interest in the site. The Four Leaf name and calling the game Katawa Shoujo was just honoring the original inspiration.
#305 Posted by Scribbly (404 posts) -

You've convinced me. I'll give it a try.

#306 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

Yeah...that sounds like every visual novel ever. Fell for that once, never again.

#307 Posted by Video_Game_King (36012 posts) -

@Black_Rose:

Seriously? But Katawa Shoujo is awesome! What other game has moments like this:

It's not a spoiler if it's in the first act.
#308 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19308 posts) -
@Black_Rose said:

Yeah...that sounds like every visual novel ever. Fell for that once, never again.

Not all visual novels deal with relationships.
#309 Posted by Black_Rose (7785 posts) -

@FluxWaveZ: Then let me be a bit more specific:

That sounds like every other harem/romance visual novel ever.

#310 Posted by DystopiaX (5293 posts) -

@BulletproofMonk said:

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta:

You can actually get with Misha; it just nets you a bad ending because who wants to get with Misha? Shizune's the more attractive one, and her personality isn't as annoying. (I'd put that all in spoilers, but that button doesn't seem to be working right now.)

Misha's great. Shut your face.

First time playing through the game getting Misha was totally my goal; totally disappointed later when I couldn't. Played the Emi and Lilly stories so far and hit act 3 for Shizune but haven't started it yet. Liked both of the ones I finished (Lilly one's ending made me panicked and sad for a moment there, which is more than I can say for any other game ever). Emi's was better IMO; maybe cause it was my first but I also liked the way her character developed and thought it was natural if a little rushed (to be expected for a text game). Don't mind the lack of gameplay that much but did wish there were more choices, especially when (from what I can tell) only a handful of the first act ones and the last act ones actually matter.

#311 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

How... strange.

#312 Edited by AndrewB (7492 posts) -

@DystopiaX said:

First time playing through the game getting Misha was totally my goal; totally disappointed later when I couldn't. Played the Emi and Lilly stories so far and hit act 3 for Shizune but haven't started it yet. Liked both of the ones I finished (Lilly one's ending made me panicked and sad for a moment there, which is more than I can say for any other game ever). Emi's was better IMO; maybe cause it was my first but I also liked the way her character developed and thought it was natural if a little rushed (to be expected for a text game). Don't mind the lack of gameplay that much but did wish there were more choices, especially when (from what I can tell) only a handful of the first act ones and the last act ones actually matter.

First act is mostly setting up which path you're going to go down. Last act ones can make a huge difference in most of the paths, though.

Aaand~! Yes, Misha is great~!

@Skald said:

How... strange.

... go on...

#313 Posted by Bluelou (1 posts) -

I wholeheartedly loved this game and its characters and the fact it exits. As mentioned in the review the sex scenes can seem off putting and out of place, but i still found all of the story arcs ive played so far to be very endearing and engaging. If your on the fence about this and are debating whether or not you should play this; under the common mindset of "should i be playing this" rest assured this is an experince that you wouldn't want to miss. I mean seriously snakes Microwave scene ain't got shit on this j/k :3 I've never seen my goose bumbs raise and fall in time with plot points and soundtrack. I'd would even go as far as to say this has changed my perception on how i see things and would say that it could in-turn make you a better person. Rambling aside, just play it please

#315 Edited by AlexanderSheen (4929 posts) -
#316 Edited by VierasTalo (677 posts) -

@whatevergirl24: On it, Boss.

I tried burning myself alive but I only got like half my face so they told me I have to go to a special school now. Guess I'll grow some hair to cover this up...

#317 Edited by ervonymous (1297 posts) -

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.