What the heck is Katawa Shoujo? Why is it so popular?

• 67 results
#1 Edited by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -
#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Jack_Daniels said:

has anyone here tried this?

You have no goddamn idea.

#3 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: You sir have hit the head on the nail. I'm rather clueless.

#4 Posted by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

It's an indie eroge about disabled girls. It's also free, which is probably why a lot of people are playing it.

#5 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

damnit Im an idiot

Ill just look over at this games board.

damn my add to hell.

#6 Posted by Hitchenson (4682 posts) -

A visual novel for lonely, lonely dudes.

#7 Edited by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

It's a visual novel that centers its plot around disabled games. Take that as you want. I heard it handles that stuff pretty decently and with taste, but, again... take that as you want.

#8 Posted by Three0neFive (2274 posts) -

A visual novel, ironically enough, developed by members of 4chan's anime board.

#9 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

It's also by 4-chan, which is enough reason for me to never play it.

#10 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

It's a kind of okay visual novel.

#11 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

You're missing the fuck out.

#12 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

It's an amputee fetish game.

#13 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Little_Socrates said:

You're missing the fuck out.

Maybe. I'm already boycotting Capcom, so it'd be silly to not boycott the jerks who made my first anime convention experience a near-disaster by crashing all their computer systems. Also, if I was gonna play a visual novel, it'd be Fate/stay Night, School Days, or Air, as I at least like the anime adaptations and the people who made them.

#14 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

@PeasantAbuse said:

WHAT?!?! Really?

#15 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5120 posts) -

@Jack_Daniels said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

WHAT?!?! Really?

Yes, ask @Video_Game_King: about it.

:)

#17 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

#18 Posted by JoeyRavn (4885 posts) -

@Jack_Daniels said:

@PeasantAbuse said:

WHAT?!?! Really?

No, that information is completely misleading and misrepresentative. There are amputees, but the game revolves around girls with all sorts of disabilities. Huge difference! Get your facts straight, duders!

#19 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -
#21 Posted by Twinsun (462 posts) -

Let's all laugh and poke at things we don't understand.

#22 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Do you like Wipeout? If so you'll fucking love Katawa Shoujo, very similar games. I mean once you take out the amputee thing they're basically identical.

#23 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Little_Socrates:

I doubt they're the same group of jerks, though. Also, how in the hell can you resist this:

#24 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -
#25 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

@Sooty: I like Halo, SC2, and Hello Kitty Island Adventure, some anime is cool I guess. Actually after glancing at one of the moderators thoughts on it, I'm going to give it a try.

#26 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -
#27 Posted by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Huh, I don't remember seeing that image and the only route I took was her's. Is that a bad ending image or something?

#28 Edited by I_smell (3926 posts) -

Check it out if you're into reading anime schoolgirl fantasy novels, dating sims, and 4chan. 

@Sooty said:

Do you like Wipeout? If so you'll fucking love Katawa Shoujo, very similar games. I mean once you take out the amputee thing they're basically identical.

I didn't know this game was set in the year 2056!
#29 Posted by Ghostiet (5153 posts) -
@Little_Socrates said:

No, not really. The concept sprouted at 4chan and that's all.
#30 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Shockingly easily, unfortunately. And no, it's probably not the same individuals, but it's the overall association, and I can't let Capcom off the hook just because they have the awesome people who made Ghost Trick working there too.

#31 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@PixelPrinny:

Yep, her bad ending. It's pretty damn awesome. In fact, here are some instructions on getting it: don't take her out to the city, and don't trust your own judgment during the phone call (doing so nets you the neutral ending).

#32 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Sooty

Wipeout the futuristic racing game, or Wipeout the gameshow? Because both could be amazing in different ways with amputee contestants!

Anyway, Katawa Shoujo is a visual novel about a dude who can romance girls with a variety of physical or mental disabilities.

Personally, I thought it was poorly written and quite boring, BUT I do admire the fact it was an amateur production, and I think it has a good "soul", even if aspects of it (particularly some of the sex scenes) were cringe-worthy.

A lot of people seem to think its a very profound, worthwhile game, which I think is awesome, if for no other reason than the fact or it tackles some things that no one else wee touches, and does do with a modicum of maturity and tact (again, with exceptions).
#33 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4655 posts) -

Katawa Shoujo is pretty good. Far better then I was expecting, and Lilly is awesome.

#34 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair Auto-correct fail: "wee" = "ever", "do" = "so"
#35 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Little_Socrates:

Wait, are we talking about Capcom or 4chan? And how exactly does Capcom fit into this? It's not like you have to play through Rin's route twice to see her naked (unless you get the bad ending and insist on going back to the beginning and playing from there).

#36 Posted by I_smell (3926 posts) -
@Tim_the_Corsair said:
@Sooty

Wipeout the futuristic racing game, or Wipeout the gameshow? Because both could be amazing in different ways with amputee contestants!
People falling off of giant red bouncy balls at ONE THOUSAND KILOMETERS PER HOUR!!!!!!!
#37 Edited by Animasta (14460 posts) -

katawa shoujo is badly written garbage that has one good path at most

it's not creepy, but it's not good either.

(also that path is Rin's)

#38 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Because if I'm going to boycott Capcom out of a sort of moral outrage, it would be ludicrous not to boycott 4chan as well. And 4chan is worse for non-economic reasons and more of an inability to understand where, geographically, one might cross a line.

#39 Posted by Chemin (630 posts) -

You should've spent the last month on the forums, shit was crazy. All I ever saw was Katawa Shoujo threads flourishing on the front page. ...Mostly.

#40 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Little_Socrates:

Although that's not a very good argument, one of the reasons being it's pretty stupid to boycott a free product. What do you hope to accomplish? Deprive them of the profits they're not reaping either way?

#41 Edited by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

So I charged into this thread with the intent of pointing you towards my blog, only to find @PixelPrinny had already done it. I guess my blog is the definitive source for answering "What the heck is Katawa Shoujo?" questions.

Anyway, as I've said in my blog and in a thousand other places, I loved Katawa Shoujo. I'm know not everyone finds it as amazing as I did, but plenty of people do, and I'd 100% recommend that people try it. You might end up finding it boring and uninteresting, but you might love it like I did. I know I went into it with virtually no expectations, yet I ended up having a fantastic experience. Plenty of others, many of whom played it based on my blog recommendation, have loved it too. But some people find it lackluster and I can appreciate and understand that, even if my opinion on the game is totally different. But either way, it's free so you can't really go wrong.

Also, it's a funny story about how Katawa Shoujo ended up at number 2 on the reddit most played list. It was at like number 3 or 4 with about 4 or 500 people listed as playing it. Someone posted on r/gaming complaining about how there is no way that KS was the 3rd or 4th most popular game on r/gaming, and encouraged people to fill in the "What are you playing right now?" form to get a more accurate depiction of what people were playing. And KS ended up even higher. Ok, maybe it's not that much of a funny story, but it's mildly amusing anyway.

#42 Posted by NegativeCero (2925 posts) -

i'm playing it based on recommendations here on GB. So far I'm not a fan of some of the writing, but I'm hoping the overall story makes up for it (just met the girl with no arms).

#43 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: No, it'd be to avoid giving them positive word of mouth for what I doubt will be a one-time affair or even necessarily a permanently free series of products.

#44 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

real talk only reason why KS got so popular was because it was not any more creepy because of the disabled girls (dating sims are inherently creepy, after all) and people running with that. Not saying anyone who likes it shouldn't or anything, just saying it doesn't deserve the massive amount of praise it gets.

#45 Posted by Video_Game_King (34594 posts) -

@Little_Socrates:

Should I point out how it's not like 4chan made it; it's more like the guys who made it use 4chan?

#46 Posted by Little_Socrates (5649 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: But ALL of them do, and the game was birthed from a conversation on 4chan. Considering the fact that 4chan is still mostly anonymous, it's relatively impossible to tell what level its staffers were at in the 4chan userbase. It's enough for me. I'm not saying no one should play it, I'm saying I'm not going to because I would burn that website down if it were a building.

#47 Posted by Animasta (14460 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

@Video_Game_King: But ALL of them do, and the game was birthed from a conversation on 4chan. Considering the fact that 4chan is still mostly anonymous, it's relatively impossible to tell what level its staffers were at in the 4chan userbase. It's enough for me. I'm not saying no one should play it, I'm saying I'm not going to because I would burn that website down if it were a building.

4chan is at least better than reddit

#48 Posted by MattyFTM (14243 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@Little_Socrates:

Should I point out how it's not like 4chan made it; it's more like the guys who made it use 4chan?

It's not even that, really. The original artwork came from a Japanese artist who was nothing to do with 4chan, nor used 4chan. That artwork got posted on 4chan and became popular. Then these developers came along and made the game. Aside from one or two maybe casually browsing 4chan, they didn't have anything to do with the site either.

#49 Posted by Cloudenvy (5890 posts) -

@Animasta said:

real talk only reason why KS got so popular was because it was not any more creepy because of the disabled girls (dating sims are inherently creepy, after all) and people running with that. Not saying anyone who likes it shouldn't or anything, just saying it doesn't deserve the massive amount of praise it gets.

And there's a ton of people here who had never experienced visual novels until this came along.

As I said in so many other threads, I REALLY hope people look at other visual novels out there after all this KS stuff.

#50 Posted by Jack_Daniels (1408 posts) -

@MattyFTM: Haha, awesome. Well since posting this I'm about 1.5 hours into it. It's practically a choose your own adventure book that has pictures. This game definitely looks like it could be a long hall.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.