What the heck is Katawa Shoujo? Why is it so popular?

• 67 results
#51 Posted by Little_Socrates (5675 posts) -

@Animasta: I don't use that one either, haha. Couldn't tell you which is better/worse.

#52 Posted by Animasta (14640 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

@Animasta said:

real talk only reason why KS got so popular was because it was not any more creepy because of the disabled girls (dating sims are inherently creepy, after all) and people running with that. Not saying anyone who likes it shouldn't or anything, just saying it doesn't deserve the massive amount of praise it gets.

And there's a ton of people here who had never experienced visual novels until this came along.

As I said in so many other threads, I REALLY hope people look at other visual novels out there after all this KS stuff.

me too, though I wish more VN novels didn't have sex in them. It really never improves a VN, even if it's done tastefully.

#53 Edited by MattyFTM (14328 posts) -

@Jack_Daniels said:

@MattyFTM: Haha, awesome. Well since posting this I'm about 1.5 hours into it. It's practically a choose your own adventure book that has pictures. This game definitely looks like it could be a long hall.

Yeah, a choose your own adventure book with pictures is an accurate way of describing it. It's not extremely long. About 6-7 hours seems to be the average for one playthrough, depending on how quick you are at reading. And if you decide to do the other routes after they'll be quicker because you can skip most of the first act because you'll have seen that stuff before.

#54 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

Actually it's a rather long game depending on if you choose to follow all the girls path. I've put at least 30-40 hours into it with still 2 paths to go. The story telling is rather good depending on the characters if you're able to get into it. But then again if you don't like VNs then you will have a hard time getting into this. But if you do get into it and have an urge to play something else like it, go for Clannad. That game will keep you busy for a LONG time!

#55 Posted by onimonkii (2429 posts) -

i'm only curious why it's recently popular

#56 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

Because no one reads books anymore. It's a decent romance story, that's it. It's only popular because it's the first time video game people are exposed to romance that isn't 1 dimension.

#57 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5135 posts) -

@spazmaster666 said:

It's an indie eroge about disabled girls. It's also free, which is probably why a lot of people are playing it.

Free is not a good excuse to play that game.

#58 Edited by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

It's not a bad VN though from what I've read of it, when it comes to eroge anyway. I mean if you're not a fan of eroge, then obviously you're not going to like any VNs of that genre.

#59 Posted by obcdexter (572 posts) -

@Mr_Skeleton said:

@spazmaster666 said:

It's an indie eroge about disabled girls. It's also free, which is probably why a lot of people are playing it.

I don't know if you can call it an excuse or not, but a lot of this game's avid fans seem to be able to "fap to that".

Apparently, that means its creators are missing out on buckets full of c...ash.

#60 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

@obcdexter:

Actually, it's pretty hard to fap to Katawa Shoujo. How exactly am I supposed to advance text, read the text, AND be aroused all at the same time? And that's not even getting into the actual game.

#61 Posted by Animasta (14640 posts) -

@MyNiceIceLife said:

Actually it's a rather long game depending on if you choose to follow all the girls path. I've put at least 30-40 hours into it with still 2 paths to go.

what the fuck

how slowly do you read?

#62 Edited by spazmaster666 (1965 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@obcdexter:

Actually, it's pretty hard to fap to Katawa Shoujo. How exactly am I supposed to advance text, read the text, AND be aroused all at the same time? And that's not even getting into the actual game.

There's a reason why most eroge can be played with just one hand though. ;)

#63 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

@spazmaster666:

Because this girl needs some gaming love, too?

#64 Posted by MyNiceIceLife (612 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@MyNiceIceLife said:

Actually it's a rather long game depending on if you choose to follow all the girls path. I've put at least 30-40 hours into it with still 2 paths to go.

what the fuck

how slowly do you read?

depends on what i'm reading. if i don't enjoy it i'll burn through it in no time. but when i enjoy something i actually take my time and enjoy it.

#65 Edited by AndrewB (7453 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

@obcdexter:

Auto-advance + multitasking.

If anyone has ever read anything I've ever written about this game, they'd know I was kidding on that point, though.

Also, I felt this was relevant.

#66 Posted by Video_Game_King (35842 posts) -

@AndrewB:

I like this better:

#67 Posted by Bocam (3669 posts) -

How can you say you love a game when you won't even mastubate to it. For shame.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.