Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Katawa Shoujo

Game » consists of 2 releases. Released Jan 04, 2012

Katawa Shoujo is a free-to-download dating sim visual novel from Four Leaf Studios. It stands out a bit from other entries in the genre in that the girls in the game all have a disability of some sort.

Which is your favorite Storyline/Girl?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#251  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King: it was not her burns it was the whole sex scenario, the no adult option just shows awesome pictures of melons and shellfish or whatever, which is way better

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#252  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Animasta:

That would probably make that scene far worse.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#253  Edited By Animasta

@Video_Game_King said:

@Animasta:

That would probably make that scene far worse.

I guess I don't like seeing naked barely legal girls but hey more power to you

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#254  Edited By AndrewB

I feel like the sex scenes with Hanako and Rin, in particular, are more about the meaning behind even being able to see them in that way rather than the sexiness of it. I wouldn't want to disable them, though. I feel like it must lose something in the process (haven't tried it).

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#255  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta said:

(don't take it personally is way better than KS also)

I hope you realize you're in the minority with that sentiment.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#256  Edited By Video_Game_King

@AndrewB said:

I feel like the sex scenes with Hanako and Rin, in particular, are more about the meaning behind even being able to see them in that way rather than the sexiness of it. I wouldn't want to disable them, though. I feel like it must lose something in the process (haven't tried it).

Yea, that's what I'd say about this, although there's still meaning in the other sex scenes.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#257  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Animasta said:

@Video_Game_King: it was not her burns it was the whole sex scenario, the no adult option just shows awesome pictures of melons and shellfish or whatever, which is way better

Really, the no adult option is just stock photos of shellfish? That is really funny. I agree with you, I don't feel the sex scenes were necessary and the game would been just as good without them, I just skipped through them myself. The forced nature of that Hanako scene is for the story but I feel they could have gotten the desired effect without it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#258  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ImmortalSaiyan:

How? The best way for her to show her "true self" would be to show her burns, which would require getting naked. Once a teenage girl is naked and in the same room as a teenage boy she has deep feelings for...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#259  Edited By Animasta

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

@Animasta said:

Really, the no adult option is just stock photos of shellfish? That is really funny. I agree with you, I don't feel the sex scenes were necessary and the game would been just as good without them, I just skipped through them myself. The forced nature of that Hanako scene is for the story but I feel they could have gotten the desired effect without it.

they also bump up and down which really makes it work

@FluxWaveZ: I'm a minority in lots of things bring it on

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta said:

It doesn't matter; it's your opinion. I just wanted to make sure that you knew Katawa Shoujo is considered a better game than don't take it personally.... I've found Christine Love's games to all be terrible and it's funny that she's charging for Analogue.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#261  Edited By Animasta

@FluxWaveZ said:

@Animasta said:

It doesn't matter; it's your opinion. I just wanted to make sure that you knew Katawa Shoujo is considered a better game than don't take it personally.... I've found Christine Love's games to all be terrible and it's funny that she's charging for Analogue.

yeah it's funny that people like to make money. Also, I've generally found KS to be badly written in most paths and that it's not anywhere as interesting as any of her games! but I don't exactly see what's so terrible about DTIP that is better in KS (they are the most likely... analog, as it were)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#262  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@Animasta: Perhaps ironic is the right word, since Katawa Shoujo is considered a better game than DTIP, is free, and yet Analogue comes out and costs $15.

Like I said, it's your opinion. I found DTIP's writing to be much worst than Katawa and its story was just horrendous. The inconsistent artstyle was jarring and the email system reminded me of Digital: ALS hacking, which is to mean repetitive and frustrating. It was just a generally bad experience and the only thing I preferred in DTIP over Katawa was the fact that there was more player input.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Video_Game_King said:

@ImmortalSaiyan:

How? The best way for her to show her "true self" would be to show her burns, which would require getting naked. Once a teenage girl is naked and in the same room as a teenage boy she has deep feelings for...

I think simply implying that Hisao forced himself upon her would of sufficed. No need to show it and go into detail.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#264  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ImmortalSaiyan:

Right, except that's not what fucking happened.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Video_Game_King said:

@ImmortalSaiyan:

Right, except that's not what fucking happened.

Woah, no need to swear. I was under the impression that if Hisao never started it then Hanako never would have. She never wanted to have sex with him, but complied for his sake.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ImmortalSaiyan:

Sort of, but she's still the one who initiated things and sort of insisted on it. He didn't force himself on her (at least not sexually).

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

@Video_Game_King said:

@ImmortalSaiyan:

Sort of, but she's still the one who initiated things and sort of insisted on it. He didn't force himself on her (at least not sexually).

I suppose she did. I still place the blame for the moment for on Hisao through. I seen that moment when Hananko showed her burns not to mean "Hey lets have sex" but her way to make them closer and satisfy Hasios curiosity. To say he forced himself on her was bad wording on my part, I admit.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#268  Edited By TobbRobb

So, I'm a bit bored and have been replaying parts of this game. Figured I'd bump this and see if any new contestants have opinions on it.

If nothing else, RAISE KS AWARENESS!

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#269  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@TobbRobb said:

So, I'm a bit bored and have been replaying parts of this game. Figured I'd bump this and see if any new contestants have opinions on it.

If nothing else, RAISE KS AWARENESS!

Because of this post, I started to play it again and I'm start to sink into it already. God damnit!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#270  Edited By TobbRobb

@AlexanderSheen: Join the cause. Raise awareness!

Just out of curiosity which route are you playing?

matti00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#271  Edited By matti00

I've been meaning to start up again for weeks, I still have to finish up Hanako's and Shizune's routes.

Not that either of them will ever top Lilly or Rin, but there you go. Maybe I'll just replay those ones.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By AlexanderSheen

@TobbRobb: I never finished it (don't ask why, I don't know either), but back then, I started Lilly's route. I'm currentlly in the middle of Act 3.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By ervonymous

I've been saving the Shizune and Lilly routes for those long summer nights, of the three I've read so far I liked Rin's the most. Maybe the revisit will rekindle my interest in the artbook that's due in August, sorta forgot about the whole thing.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#274  Edited By TobbRobb

@matti00: I think Rin's is worth a reread, at least I found some new stuff/looked at it differently. I only read Lilly's once, but I'd consider it the "best" route out of all (Though I like Rin more). There's definitely something to be had in reliving it. Kind of like rewatching a good romance movie. Except way longer and not as well paced. :D

I was never a big fan of Hanako's route (even though da cuteness), and Shizunes is very very silly with less focus on her and more on odd side characters. So I think you won't be missing out by skipping them for another go at Rin.

Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

I wish I had played this at the time and could talk about it with anyone. I just finished it and am still sort of freaking out (in both a good way, and a bad way.) I went down Hanako's path, and am myself a burn victim with serious anxiety problems. It's really hitting me quite hard, actually.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#276  Edited By 49th

Kawaii 1-leg echii nandayo

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By Video_Game_King

@49th:

Where do I fucking begin with that post? Flagging it.

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generic_username: I saw your other post as well, and just wanted to say: that's really cool, man. That you had that type of personal reaction to the game. I wish I could discuss it, but unfortunately it's something I've yet to play.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kovie: Most media I've seen that deals with themes of a fire accident happening don't really handle it well. The characters that are dealing with it tend to come off as brooding, and I have a hard time relating to them. The character in this game, however, was simply acutely aware of the fact the she was different from other people, and the way she was always treated sort of shaped her into who she is, not the accident itself. It was the first burned character I've ever felt could be real.

I appreciate the response, it's nice to know someone is reading this.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generic_username:

I'm not entirely sure about that. The accident clearly had some sort of impact on Hanako, since she lost everything she loved in an instant. But yes, everything that happened after that certainly played a huge influence on who she is.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I'm aware of that. I suppose I worded it poorly by stating it in a way that made it sound like the accident had noimpact on her, but it seems that her social issues are very much based in the way people treated her after the fact. I know that feeling. I used to wear shorts, but I always get that same exact "notice you; look of shock; look away due to shame of the shock; then take quick glances at the scars when they think you're not looking thing" that is described in the game. I don't go out in anything that doesn't cover my legs at all anymore.

There's also the bit about how people treated her the worst about it in elementary school, not middle school or high school, this is very much true.

It was just nice to see a character who had suffered through something like that not be portrayed as angry or brooding. She feels like everyone thinks she's broken but hates it when people treat her like she is, and that something I could relate to as well.

EDIT: I'm most likely going to write a full blog post about this at some point in the next week or so, and I don't plan on going into specifics about my own personal situation, but I do want to go into the aspects of the story that resonated with me so much. I also want to dump a bunch of praise onto the game. I'll link to it here when(if) I get around to doing it so that anyone who is interested can check it out.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@generic_username:

I guess this brings up the question of how do you handle the situation, then? (Trying to sound inquisitive, not accusatory.) Do you openly apologize for bringing attention to the scars and then just sort of expect some awkwardness about it? All I know in Hanako's case is that you do not fucking bring that up.

generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@video_game_king: I think it's just a natural thing for people to do. I don't fault people that do it. When I see someone missing a limb, I do exactly the same thing. I go through that exact process. I completely understand it, it just doesn't make it any easier to deal with, you know? I'm lucky in that my scarring is somewhere that I CAN hide it, and I've just found it easier to not make other people go through that process. It completely changes any conversation they're going to have with you on a base level, and I'm aware that it's part of the reason why I'm so freaked out by socializing.

So I guess to answer your question, I'm not sure how you would handle it. I don't think that training yourself to behave differently is a very realistic expectation for someone like me to have. I also don't think that falling over yourself to act differently around someone like me is the answer either. I'm not personally someone who minds people asking about it, and I would actually probably be annoyed if somewhere were to apologize for looking, personally. It's just something that happens, and it's part of life for me. I don't fault anyone for it.

I mean, any attempt to do anything else is going to seem forced, and thats worse then just having that little mental process happen. I guess the best thing that I've had people do is notice it, and then just look right back at my face. That usually only happens with people either in some sort of medical field or someone significantly older than me.

BambamCZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played through the game twice, first time it was ??Rin?? the girl that paints with her legs and then Emi. Rin's route was better, my own two hands are kinda messed and her demeanor just resonated with me. Never really paid much attention to it in a similar way the character does in the game. After playing the Emi route I kinda lost interest in the game. Though it was more interesting than I've expected from a dating sim\graphic novel.

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hanako >Lilly>Rin..... havent played Shizune´s and didnt like Emi that much

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.