Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Keiji Inafune

Person » credited in 100 games

Keiji Inafune is best known for being the foster father of Mega Man, as well as the producer of the Onimusha, Dead Rising and Lost Planet franchises.

Inafune is one crazy developer

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By endaround

Via Andriasang Inafune gave a talk at a University in Kyoto and Famitsu covered it.  The interesting thing is how Inafune, star of the upcoming Hyperdimension Neptunia sequel, got Capcom to make Lost Planet and Dead Rising.  Capcom had a rule that 70-80% of rleases had to be sequels of existing propoerties and Inafune said it was closer to 100% sequels since getting new IP approved was almost impossible.  But making prototypes came from a separate budget and there was no overriding control on prototypes.  So he used the prototype budget on Lost Planet going, over budget by 400%, at which point he hoped he spent so much money that Capcom was forced to put it out.

jkuc316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By jkuc316

You have a point, but most devs from Japan ARE crazy. (Dont get angry at me, I like crazy Japanese devs, or crazy Japanese in general)

To me, it was more like a risk than something crazy, he did that so he could get the games released. And overall, it paid off(according to the article).

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael
    Icemael said:

Remember, this was around the same time new IPs (like Okami and God Hand) made by the company's most talented people (Mikami, Kamiya, Inaba & Co.) flopped, leading to Clover Studio being shut down and said talented people leaving the company. I'm not surprised they wanted to play it safe when not even the people who created Resident Evil and Devil May Cry could make financially successful new IPs.

Also, while I do like Lost Planet it does not make up for the other awful projects that resulted from his "my country sucks at making games" mentality. Inafune did more harm than he did good.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By AuthenticM
    @Icemael said:
    "Also, while I do like Lost Planet it does not make up for the other awful projects that resulted from his "my country sucks at making games" mentality. Inafune did more harm than he did good."
    Well to be fair, he's not the only one who thinks so. I remember Yoichi Wada saying similars things at more than one occasion. While it's not true that Japan sucks at making games, I feel some truth to the saying that Japan has lost some of its magical touch. After all, Japan is not what it once was.
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By ProfessorEss

I'm not a huge fan of Japanese crazy but I do have a thing for his particular brand.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#6  Edited By Icemael
    @AuthenticM: True, but "what it once was" is "more or less the only truly relevant country in the video game industry", and what it is now -- a single country producing about as much quality and innovation every year as two continents -- is still incredibly impressive. People just don't realize it because Japan has always been great, and so we take it for granted.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.