Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kellee Santiago

Person » credited in 16 games

Ex-President and co-founder of thatgamecompany, Head of Developer Relations at Ouya

Kellee Santiago Exiting thatgamecompany

• 66 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex
    We really do just have the strangest photos of developers floating around our wiki pages.
    We really do just have the strangest photos of developers floating around our wiki pages.

Kellee Santiago had been with thatgamecompany since its inception. She co-founded the company alongside the studio's creative director Jenova Chen, and has been around for each one of the heralded indie developer's projects. Now, it appears thatgamecompany will have to learn to get along without her.

Speaking to Gamasutra, Santiago announced today that she is leaving thatgamecompany for an as-yet unannounced destination. She described the split as "entirely amicable," and made it clear that it was simply time for her to move on to another place.

After doing these three games, I think it was a really great opportunity for all of us to look at what we've learned and what I've taken from that experience, and go forth and take it into new arenas.

While Chen has been the creative mind behind thatcompany's many experiments in game design, Santiago's role as president had much to do with the behind-the-scenes work of making his visions a reality.

So much of my work at Thatgamecompany was really supporting Jenova's visions for the types of games he wanted to make, and I felt like I have done everything I needed to do there, and that he's in a great place now to go on and continue with some of the other people at Thatgamecompany, to take that to a whole new height.

This marks something of a bittersweet day for thatgamecompany. Prior to Santiago's announcement, Chen had blogged that the studio's most recent project, the critically acclaimed Journey, has become the fastest selling game in the history of the PlayStation Network. The Gamasutra article also mentions that a new project has begun at thatgamecompany, though now it'll have to progress without Santiago's assistance.

Chen and those remaining at thatgamecompany expressed mutual admiration and appreciation for Santiago's work in a statement from the company.

While we want to continue the path of Thatgamecompany, Kellee has found a new direction in her career. Though our path in the future may be different, as TGC begins our next project, we wish Kellee a good journey and that our paths may cross again.
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Kellee Santiago had been with thatgamecompany since its inception. She co-founded the company alongside the studio's creative director Jenova Chen, and has been around for each one of the heralded indie developer's projects. Now, it appears thatgamecompany will have to learn to get along without her.

Speaking to Gamasutra, Santiago announced today that she is leaving thatgamecompany for an as-yet unannounced destination. She described the split as "entirely amicable," and made it clear that it was simply time for her to move on to another place.

After doing these three games, I think it was a really great opportunity for all of us to look at what we've learned and what I've taken from that experience, and go forth and take it into new arenas.

While Chen has been the creative mind behind thatcompany's many experiments in game design, Santiago's role as president had much to do with the behind-the-scenes work of making his visions a reality.

So much of my work at Thatgamecompany was really supporting Jenova's visions for the types of games he wanted to make, and I felt like I have done everything I needed to do there, and that he's in a great place now to go on and continue with some of the other people at Thatgamecompany, to take that to a whole new height.

This marks something of a bittersweet day for thatgamecompany. Prior to Santiago's announcement, Chen had blogged that the studio's most recent project, the critically acclaimed Journey, has become the fastest selling game in the history of the PlayStation Network. The Gamasutra article also mentions that a new project has begun at thatgamecompany, though now it'll have to progress without Santiago's assistance.

Chen and those remaining at thatgamecompany expressed mutual admiration and appreciation for Santiago's work in a statement from the company.

While we want to continue the path of Thatgamecompany, Kellee has found a new direction in her career. Though our path in the future may be different, as TGC begins our next project, we wish Kellee a good journey and that our paths may cross again.
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By StrikeALight

Seems a nice lady.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

I always forget Mega 64 has that puppet character.

jukeboxzer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jukeboxzer0

oh man i remember marcus

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Enigma777

@iAmJohn said:

I always forget Mega 64 has that puppet character.

Hah, I was wondering why it looked so familiar.

ironscimitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By ironscimitar

I met her a couple of weeks ago. She's awesome.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7  Edited By xxizzypop

That play on words. Uuuuuuugh.

I mean that in the best possible way.

dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dropabombonit

I hope she moves onto bigger and better things, just think we could now have 2 companies making games as innovative as Journey

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#9  Edited By LordAndrew
    Well, best of luck to Kellee on her future journey.
    DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DeF

@xxizzypop said:

That play on words. Uuuuuuugh.

I mean that in the best possible way.

it's fun when you hear news and then you immediately know how the headlines are gonna look and then you wait how the different outlets approach the obvious. ;)

So far, I've only seen it on joystiq as "Kellee Santiago leaves thatgamecompany, nextcompany unknown" but I like Alex' version better.

grayfox1210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By grayfox1210

ZING!

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

That picture is from Marcus' Corner a funny interview series Mega64 has. Oh yeah good luck to all her future endeavors.

Pop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Pop
    Former studio president presumably heading to someothercompany.

quimstyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By quimstyle

Hope she does as well as she has at thatgamecompany. And I hope they dont lose direction without her.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By probablytuna

Still need to play Journey.

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By RagingLion

Huh. That's kind of interesting. Wonder if she'll be transported in to head up a bigger studio somewhere ala Kim Swift, though they perform quite different roles I believe.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By EuanDewar

REPRESENT

bennym6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bennym6

:(

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#19  Edited By Julmust

Marcus is the best.

Javes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Javes

I have an uncanny talent for spotting an Alex headline.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Deusx

Well that sucks for TGC, she's done a lot of great work there.

dr_ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By dr_ryan

HEYYYYYYYYYYYY SONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 49th

'someothercompany' Wow, nice one.

Tackchevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Tackchevy

Former studio president presumably heading to someothercompany.

How long has that one been in storage? Was this an original thought after the news broke, or does GB keep a spreadsheet of zingers waiting around for something to happen? I know I do.

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By unsolvedparadox

All the best to Kellee, I'm excited to see what she does next.

I can always tell when it's News by Navarro. Kudos!

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakkblades

I've never played a thatgamecompany game, and I may be about to say something that makes me more enemies than friends, but here goes. In the interviews I have seen with her online, I have heard her say again and again that her interest is to be on the vanguard of art "avant-garde" if you will, not to design the games of her dreams, that she herself has never had much interest in games outside of what they could mean in further artistic achievement. I found her to be, in this respect, rather self-interested and self-important, with the goal of boosting her artistic acclaim, not of creating entertainment or art that she would enjoy or would be enjoyed by others. I'm not saying "down with art games" but I think they should be made by gamers, not pretentious NYU art grads.

TinyGallon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By TinyGallon

I wonder if this article will get as many "I DONT GIVE A SHIT" comments as the Robert Bowling one did

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By louiedog

I love having Alex on the east coast. There was rarely anything to read on this site before that, not in the way of up to date news anyway.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#29  Edited By fisk0  Moderator
    @jakkblades said:

I've never played a thatgamecompany game, and I may be about to say something that makes me more enemies than friends, but here goes. In the interviews I have seen with her online, I have heard her say again and again that her interest is to be on the vanguard of art "avant-garde" if you will, not to design the games of her dreams, that she herself has never had much interest in games outside of what they could mean in further artistic achievement. I found her to be, in this respect, rather self-interested and self-important, with the goal of boosting her artistic acclaim, not of creating entertainment or art that she would enjoy or would be enjoyed by others. I'm not saying "down with art games" but I think they should be made by gamers, not pretentious NYU art grads.

I think you create a false dichotomy there, art students can vey well be gamers, but "gamer" is an extremely wide term - a gamer isn't necessarily competent as an artist or designer. So, I'd rather have games created by people who understand some basic art theory (though it obviously varies how much of it can be applied across different art forms - a fantastic painter isn't necessarily a good film director or even photographer), than someone who just plays games, but obviously an artistic individual who also does play games is a better fit than one that doesn't.
    jaks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jaks

Thanks for being the only gaming site on the web that didn't use a "she's going on her own "journey" now" remark.

LeeMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By LeeMan

I know whenever it's an Alex story as he has such a sarcastic writing style, I love it.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By turboman

Once again, Alex Navarro is the best headlines writer in the business.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakkblades

@fisk0: They certainly can be, and she said that she was not.

Sonny009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Sonny009

Thats too bad. I just got journey the other day and i cannot stop playing it. It is a beautiful, and genius game. where is she goiinnggg?????

revel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By revel

Crap. Well i'm sure she will go on to do awesome stuff. These indie companies can be like bands you love. You just follow some of your favorite musicians and top contributors. TGC is just a name. The contributors names are probably held to a higher regard than the outfits name, here.

I understand where Kellee is coming from. On the surface you will see that there are "Indie Studios" and "Non Indie Studios". Or so is the perception from many in (or just into) the "indie scene". But people who are working day-in-day-out on their game (indie or not) know that really in life there are just people in control and people not in control - and this can mean a lot more to some people than simply indie and not-indie. So if she is working for Chens vision then there are probably times where she feels not as independent (this is obviously ignoring the feeling of being "indie" by making games about love/sharing instead of war/fear.)... And if you feel that way then you can feel like you may as well be working at like Maxis on the next Sims or whatever. People just want to have their vision realized. Everybody does.

This isn't the first time or the last time we will see hardcore independent people splitting from each other. Such is life. TGC was awesome. Looking forward to whats in the future.

jakkblades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jakkblades

@fisk0: Also, "theory" is about as useful in creating art as understanding the molecular composition of ground beef will teach you to make a tasty hamburger. There are plenty of "literary theorists" in the world, to use a comparative example, and they are currently all sitting behind desks at academic institutions, or unemployed, not creating literature.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#37  Edited By Jackel2072

Well i wish her the best, still have not played Journey yet. its pretty much the one game that makes me wish my PS3 still worked. 

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheHT

everybody's leaving everywhere. D:

Xeirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Xeirus

@Jackel2072 said:

Well i wish her the best, still have not played Journey yet. its pretty much the one game that makes me wish my PS3 still worked.

I was so damn glad my roommate owned a PS3, that was is sooooo cool.

Mystyr_E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#40  Edited By Mystyr_E

@TinyGallon said:

I wonder if this article will get as many "I DONT GIVE A SHIT" comments as the Robert Bowling one did

unlock Call of Duty games, Journey was actually good so think people care

paulwade1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By paulwade1984

Saw this coming. Chen has an ego the size of an elephants backside. My guess is that the sony deal meant she couldnt leave. Now she can tell him to do one and go do some creating herself.

geekbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By geekbot

I wish her the very best in all her new endeavors. :)

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By HadesTimes

She's a really nice person, I'm sure she will do well where ever she is going.

bigevil1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#44  Edited By bigevil1987

someothercompany...well done boys.

Adaptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#45  Edited By Adaptor

@EuanDewar: Haha, that was an awkward interview. Never heard of Marcus' Corner before. Really funny video's!

Lucien21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 14

#46  Edited By Lucien21

Looks like she's not the only one leaving thatgamecompany as Robin Hunicke has also jumped ship to make Glitch.

Now that their 3 game deal with Sony is up, it's everyone for yourself.

beard_of_zeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#47  Edited By beard_of_zeus

I love the caption for the photo. So true, Alex, so true! 

@Lucien21 said:

Looks like she's not the only one leaving thatgamecompany as Robin Hunicke has also jumped ship to make Glitch.

Now that their 3 game deal with Sony is up, it's everyone for yourself.

Interesting. Wonder if Jenova will try and recruit some new folks, or if he'll be heading off to a different endeavor as well? Is this the end of thatgamecompany? *gasp!*
    bug9329

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bug9329

There could be a lot of reasons for this. It could be that with the Sony contract over, new investors wanted one of their own in that spot and that she either could take another position in the company or move on. Just a guess, but thatgamecompany has been successful enough to get some private capital, but were maybe locked up in some way by the Sony contract.

I'm sure someothercompany will be great. :)

dwgill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By dwgill

There are some decision which can't be made without everyone assuming something's wrong.

Maybe there are issues to be had behind the scenes at thatgamecompany, but I can understand it if Santiago simply feels like it's time to move on.

dwgill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By dwgill

@jakkblades said:

People who read Ulysses for fun in their spare time can be said to love reading just as much as a fan of Twilight, Hunger Games, or Harry Potter. They just love the medium for different reasons. Should their perspective alone render them illegitimate?

People can appreciate a medium for a multitude of reasons. I don't think one's reasoning behind his/her appreciation should somehow invalidate their enthusiasm.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.