Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kentucky Route Zero

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 22, 2013

An indie adventure game about a secret highway in the caves beneath Kentucky. It was nominated for the Seumas McNally Grand Prize in the 2013 IGF awards.

Kentucky Route Zero deserves another look.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

Poll Kentucky Route Zero deserves another look. (56 votes)

Yay! 61%
    Nay! 25%
    18%

Yeah... I wish I had a longwinded post going on about the value of Kentucky Route Zero and how I don't think it's got its fair share of coverage and how it's a magnificent game with a well crafted mature story that handles a consistent theme better than any other modern game. But to be blunt I'd like to see another quick look for this game or for it to be on UPF.

Furthermore, while I commend him for his curiosity, I likely wouldn't have found KRZ if it weren't for him, I don't think Patrick Klepek was the right choice to run the quick look. As others who've played it would note KRZ's a very literate game that would be more suited to Brad or Rorie looking at it. Hell, Dan's from one state over, have him and one of those two re-quick look it.

• 
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I thought Patrick dug the hell out of what he played didn't he?

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

KRZ on UPF? Really? That would never work.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

*mysterious third option*

Yeah, I mean, if your intent is for them to re-Quick Look a game with the "right" lineup, you're probably barking up the wrong tree, because there are probably a few hundred games where you could debate "maybe we shouldn't have Jeff on this one because he hates it" or "maybe we shouldn't have Brad on this loot game Quick Look because he is completely incapable of being critical of a game with colour-coded loot". But I do think there are some games they should revisit, either because the game has been in constant development for quite some time (I hear that some of the new stuff they've added to Kerbal makes it a NASA simulator, complete with trying to get funding and recruit engineers/scientists) or because the game's episodes are just noteworthy events because they're so far apart (something like Kentucky Route Zero would apply, not sure what else).

I wouldn't mind if Vinny would check back in on stuff like Kerbal when there's a really big update or something. I'd prefer that to when Vinny and Alex have to sift through a sea of garbage Early Access games just to find the occasional diamond in the rough. Or I dunno, have Vinny or Alex occasionally look at a Virtual Console game that they think people should check out. I think it's weird that Jeff gets to do his dumb Game Room Quick Looks and these Japanese-only PSN arcade games that are terrible, but apparently no one on the entire staff of Giant Bomb has wanted to do a Quick Look of a Virtual Console game in the history of Giant Bomb.

Also, what the hell happened to Encyclopedia Bombastica? They only did like 9 of them this year, and seemed to complete kill the feature back in the summer.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Jesus_Phish

KRZ is from my understanding a five part episodic game with each episode taking about 90-120 minutes to finish (I only played the first one) first released over two years ago now and is still not finished. While I enjoyed the first episode, I can't get invested into such a short series that's taking so long to actually come out.

Also from what I played of the first game, it's a bad game to quick look.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It doesn't really fit the quick look formula, as such a short experience is bound to be riddled with spoilers, even in a 20 minute video.

Games like KR0 are why text reviews can't die - there's no effective way to cover it on video other than a full let's play/endurance run type video

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By sweep  Moderator

I don't really know what you mean by KRZ being a "Very literate game" and, assuming you mean "articulate and reflective", I also don't know why you think that should disqualify Patrick as it's demonstrator. Patrick had written more thoughtful articles over the past few years than the rest of the staff combined, and the idea that "Only people that I think are smart enough to play this game should be allowed to play it" is ridiculous. But let's not get into that argument because, either way, he's not here any more. And I can't be bothered to moderate that nonsense right now.

Also that QL had Ryan in it and I wouldn't change it for the world.

I don't think it needs another Giant Bomb look, and I don't think that game fits any other format, except maybe the podcast. It seems kind of ironic to me that you'd recommend it to be featured on a UPF, where it's more likely that people will talk over it and miss many of the games subtleties. In a similar way that Silent Hill PT wouldn't be scary if you played it as a big group with the lights on, I don't think a UPF, or an extended Quick Look, are either suitable ways of experiencing what is actually a deeply personal and introspective experience.

However, in the sense that "More people should be talking about/playing this game" I completely agree that it deserves another look, because it's goddamn gorgeous in every regard.

EDIT: Cara Ellison wrote this great peice on the game for Eurogamer, which you should check out.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#7  Edited By Humanity

I don't think people need to see more in order to know what the game is about. Also I would disagree with @sweep as I don't think Patrick is an especially amazing writer and volume does not equate quality - that said he did a fine job showing us exactly the kind of ride you'd be going on if you decided to purchase the game.

I assume like many others, I'm waiting for all episodes to be out before playing. I know from experience that experiencing episodic games with very long interludes simply doesn't work very well - not for me anyway. Especially if said game has a very floaty story chock full of symbolism and metaphors that I would be prone to forget over the year of waiting. Not sure if it's deliberate, shortage of staff, funds or simply lack of caring, but the developer is really shooting themselves in the foot by taking so insanely long to release each of these episodes which from what I understand are really short. I'm sure more outlets would be less hesitant to discuss it if they could speak for the finished products. As is, trying to critique a game which may turn out to be an amazing story or may turn out to be senseless drivel is a dicey proposition.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

I bought it when it came out, but I really couldn't care less about this game until they put the last episode out.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Patrick and Ryan were the PERFECT people to look at that game. Felt like it was made for them. I just don't feel like a re-look has a ton to offer. Not sure that anyone on the staff would appreciate it in the same way.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.