Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kerbal Space Program

Game » consists of 6 releases. Released Apr 27, 2015

Players create their own rockets from a variety of parts and then attempt to launch them into space.

Kerbal Space Pitctures

clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By clush

Because I believe the sandbox nature of this game makes it particularly suitable for some good old stories and pictures fun, let's share some pivotal moments in the Kerbal's conquest of space (ongoing). If something in KSP is worth taking a screenshot, it's worth posting it here. Don't forget to tell us what happened!

That's going to take one giant leap to get back...
    That's going to take one giant leap to get back...

I'll start with this screenshot i took just now. After three days of trying I've finally managed to land on the Mun! Well, sort of, anyway. That little duder is probably going to be enjoying the view for quite some time to come, because getting him back to his friends and family will be an unprecedented challenge for me and my only basic knowledge of physics. I was already superexcited I actually managed to reach the Mun. At least he didn't die. Come to think of it, right now he's probably the safest Kerman on the planet... wait...

edit: Darnit! Typo in topic title :(

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I launched a few rockets straight at the Mun only to see them zip past it and into endless space, recently got something into some sort of orbit though they will be stuck there forever unless I manage a rescue mission for them later when I get my skill up to reliably get a craft up to them and back down.

It's orbit is wonky, but seems stable (hasn't changed for many rotations)
    It's orbit is wonky, but seems stable (hasn't changed for many rotations)
    There is some debri you can see to the right of the capsule, it's path actually syncs up on the part of the orbit closest to the planet, so far no collision...
    There is some debri you can see to the right of the capsule, it's path actually syncs up on the part of the orbit closest to the planet, so far no collision...
    beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By beepmachine

If either of you manage a rescue, that will be the most amazing thing ever. Has anyone ever made it to the outer planet?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Aegon
    @dennisthemennis said:

If either of you manage a rescue, that will be the most amazing thing ever. Has anyone ever made it to the outer planet?

People have made it to the sun. In less than 20 minutes. 
    white

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By white

@Aegon said:

@dennisthemennis said:

What does one find at the sun?

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Aegon
    @White said:

@Aegon said:

@dennisthemennis said:

Game Over. 
    abomunist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By abomunist

@White said:

@Aegon said:

@dennisthemennis said:

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
    deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my early attempts to get a plane to the Mun, this was the ultimate result of my "more rockets" design philosophy.

To its credit, it did technically get off the runway (before tilting backwards and meeting the ground again).

No Caption Provided
    CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@Ubersmake said:

In my early attempts to get a plane to the Mun, this was the ultimate result of my "more rockets" design philosophy.

To its credit, it did technically get off the runway (before tilting backwards and meeting the ground again).

No Caption Provided

Did you realize you were making something that looks remarkably like a menorah as you were making this?

No Caption Provided

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CatsAkimbo said:

@Ubersmake said:

No Caption Provided

Did you realize you were making something that looks remarkably like a menorah as you were making this?

No Caption Provided

Well, now I can't unsee that. XD

For me it was always the Crossbow Death Sled Mk II. The Mk I didn't have the solid fuel boosters on the front wing.

CatsAkimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CatsAkimbo

@BaconGames said:

@CatsAkimbo: Please tell me you thought of "JEWS...IN...SPAAAAACE" as fast as I did?

Haha no, I've never seen that. I should try making a star of david rocket now.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Leptok

Made it into orbit last night with a boring ship, gonna go crazy tonight.

seismicshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By seismicshock

@Ubersmake said:

No Caption Provided

I gotta ask, were the wings bent like that in the design phase?

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#15  Edited By DarthOrange

I miss read the thread name. I thought it said Kabal Space Pictures.

No Caption Provided

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@seismicshock

@Ubersmake said:

No Caption Provided

I gotta ask, were the wings bent like that in the design phase?

Yes they were. The swept wing, err, wings, are angled at the ends. So if you keep connecting them, you can keep sweeping them back to eventually make something like a ring.

Which I did try making. The thing collapsed because of multiple structural failures. It takes a *massive* vehicle to create the frame needed to support a swept wing ring.
    clush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By clush

The story continues...

The Icarus II approaches the Mun for rescue attempt #1
    The Icarus II approaches the Mun for rescue attempt #1
    Things turn pearshaped quickly as we lose our only engine on impact and topple over. The Kermen can't even get out because the crewhatch is blocked by the surface.
    Things turn pearshaped quickly as we lose our only engine on impact and topple over. The Kermen can't even get out because the crewhatch is blocked by the surface.
    To have any chance at survival (and a much needed stretch) they will HAVE to get out of the crowded and indeed smelly pod, so in a daring move the improvised landing struts are disconnected from the vehicle. This shakes up the vehicle just enough to make it roll over a couple of times and luckily coming to a halt with a freed up hatch.
    To have any chance at survival (and a much needed stretch) they will HAVE to get out of the crowded and indeed smelly pod, so in a daring move the improvised landing struts are disconnected from the vehicle. This shakes up the vehicle just enough to make it roll over a couple of times and luckily coming to a halt with a freed up hatch.

Of course, had the landing in fact been successful, this would not have really helped our originally stranded Kerman because (as was discovered only in full orbit) all seats in our 3-man pod were already taken, thus leaving no room for our little space pioneer anyway. Besides this minor oversight of our planning department we were running dangerously low on fuel. Theoretically I might have been able to make it, but with absolutely zero room for error. Basicly, these little guys were screwed the moment the countdown started.

Welcome to the Mun. Population: 4

mrfizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By mrfizzy

Anyone on here play the demo? I thought it was great but was wondering how this compares. Is it worth the purchase?

Freshbandito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Freshbandito

@BaconGames said:

@CatsAkimbo: Please tell me you thought of "JEWS...IN...SPAAAAACE" as fast as I did?

I got a genuine chuckle from someone named BaconGames alluding to Jews in Space. I am a simple minded person.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By envane

@mrfizzy: the demo is extremely limited compared to the current version ... so thats your reason to buy .. otherwise if you enjoyed the demo enough i guess you can stick with that ? heh

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Akyho

I already had a mission in progress (it had finished but for some reason didn't save) I continued that and took pictures.

I am using MechJeb mod as it just makes things easier. So duders I am having a breeze getting to the mun...however.....you'll see.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Hovering off with RCS and the rover landed fine. I decided to drive the rover around before taking a pic...

No Caption Provided

I rolled it....and destroyed the Mechjeb module. Its now dead......so yeah...all that fanciness and I broke it in moments of landing.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Akyho
    Draugen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#24  Edited By Draugen
    @clush Just keep sending rescue missions. Worst case scenario, you'll wind up with enough Kerbals and tech up there that they can build a new society. Win-win.
    Slay3r1583

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Slay3r1583

I wasn't able to get a proper screenshot off quick enough but I crashed my first rocket into the Mun and with Jebediah no less. I restarted and Jeb is fine now.

No Caption Provided
    Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Akyho

@Slay3r1583 said:

I wasn't able to get a proper screenshot off quick enough but I crashed my first rocket into the Mun and with Jebediah no less. I restarted and Jeb is fine now.

No Caption Provided

That is what we at Kerbal Space Center call a "simulated mission."

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Akyho

@Konamikoden said:

No Caption Provided

FINE YOU WIN!!! GEEZE!!!!

It was only supposed to be fun....then you took it serious.

Congrats that is realy impressive and nice. I have been sending up pretty terrible space stations trying to get them in orbit...granted I am trying for a Geostationary orbit at 2869km you need and it with be Geo stat.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By meteora
    No Caption Provided

This is my third spacecraft that escaped from Kerbin's orbit, the second one which actually made an encounter with Mun. I derped my landing and instead ran out of fuel, passing over Mun for gravity assist instead of landing or trying to orbit the planet (until I remembered it was probably impossible due to the lack thereof gravity). Now I get this neat oval orbit around Kerbin that passes through Mun's orbit. Despite my failure to make landing on Mun, the Mark III B spacecraft has so far been my most successful vessel to date.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.