Are keycards considered distinct from "keys?"

#1 Posted by Doogie2K (216 posts) -

I would personally assume so, since one is metal cut to fit a specific mechanism, whereas the other is electronically programmed.  This would mean Doom would probably go under keycard, whereas Wolfenstein would go under key.

Unless the skull key counts as a simple key.  Sigh...

#2 Posted by tec3297 (1170 posts) -

I would say that it is a different object.

#3 Posted by Giantkitty (808 posts) -

I would think so. Even though they do about the same thing, they are made from different materials and do it differently. If submitting card key, I'd make it similar to Key, if you can do that (I know there's a place for similar games, but don't know for objects)

#4 Posted by Protocol (56 posts) -

I would think if it's shaped like a key, it's a key. If it's shaped like a card, it's a keycard. Both are unlocking devices, but I think they are separate subcategories of such if we want to get technical, as we probably do in this database...

#5 Edited by khit (150 posts) -

I think that keycards are a subsection of keys, I mean, they do the same thing, they are just made in different ways.

EDIT!

Never mind, the definition for "Key" is "A metal device shaped in such a way that when it is inserted into the appropriate lock the lock's mechanism can be rotated"

So I guess keycards aren't keys...

#6 Edited by Doogie2K (216 posts) -

Well, I've submitted a request for a Keycard page, so we'll see tomorrow how it shapes up from there.

Edit: Or, you know, next week.  Geez.

#7 Posted by Doogie2K (216 posts) -

Separate Keycard page now exists.

#8 Posted by OutOfBounds9000 (2300 posts) -

A keycard is a different object ya know.

#9 Posted by Gargantuan (1887 posts) -

Nice thread necromancy!

#10 Posted by Hamst3r (4569 posts) -
@OutOfBounds9000: Dude, quit resurrecting threads from last year, please.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.