Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kickstarter Funded

Concept »

Games that were funded through Kickstarter.

Neal Stephenson clangs around on Kickstarter

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By FengShuiGod

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/260688528/clang

Yes, yes, yet another Kickstarter (hopefully not another thread on this particular KS). This one looks a little different though. Crowd funding around a relatively small concept in order to retain creative control seems like a pretty good idea to me. I'd rather see more KickStarters based on small, focused, innovative projects like this instead of, "Hey, we wanna make a game." Also, there is a pretty good Gabe Newell cameo in the pitch video.

It at least looks like it'll be funded, because Neal Stephenson.

I hope this isn't the eleventy-first thread on this. I didn't see anything, but if it is, sorry.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

All i can say that video is awesome. That alone deserves at least a 10$ donation.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Akyho

I would donate if I could. There is also the lacking of what the actual Motion controller is.

It states in Rewards $10 download the game (no motion controller hardware included).

So I presume that they wont make their own one. If so that mad props. Otherwise are we talking Wii? Move? Kinect?! or some other brand of motion control for the pc?

FengShuiGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By FengShuiGod

@Akyho said:

I would donate if I could. There is also the lacking of what the actual Motion controller is.

It states in Rewards $10 download the game (no motion controller hardware included).

So I presume that they wont made their own one. If so that mad props. Otherwise are we talking Wii? Move? Kinect?! or some other brand of motion control for the pc?

"Low-latency, high-precision motion controller: Critical to a satisfying sword fight is fast, accurate response. This is especially important for CLANG given the depth and complexity of moves that are used in real sword arts. Initially, CLANG will make use of a commercial, third-party, off-the-shelf controller that anyone can buy today"

It looks like maybe they are using the Hydra, but all I can really say is it looks like a nondescript black controller.

NegativeCero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By NegativeCero

That dude looks like he'd be into sword fighting with that beard. I like the idea but have no money at the moment.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Akyho

@FengShuiGod said:

@Akyho said:

So I presume that they wont made their own one. If so that mad props. Otherwise are we talking Wii? Move? Kinect?! or some other brand of motion control for the pc?

"Low-latency, high-precision motion controller: Critical to a satisfying sword fight is fast, accurate response. This is especially important for CLANG given the depth and complexity of moves that are used in real sword arts. Initially, CLANG will make use of a commercial, third-party, off-the-shelf controller that anyone can buy today"

It looks like maybe they are using the Hydra, but all I can really say is it looks like a nondescript black controller.

"Initially" granted this all changes once they are properly backed. If they make enough that "Initially" could turn into "We will just make our own."

They must be confident enough with the hardware they are using right now, to promote themselves like this. However I am on the lower string of income personally and probably on the higher string of enthusiasm to own it. If the hardware is Track IR price brackets I could never justify buy it. Hell my £20 est $40 Joystick was hard to justify until I used it for over 40 hours.

However I would still love to promote the success of the idea.

illegalnull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By illegalnull

Great video! I wish more promo videos were like this, some good comedy!

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Ravenlight

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

All i can say that video is awesome. That alone deserves at least a 10$ donation.

Neal Stephenson is one interesting-ass motherfucker and he's got my $10. Did you catch the Gabe Newell appearance toward the end of the vid, as well?

Cyrus_Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Cyrus_Saren

That video was fantastic.

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

@Ravenlight said:

@TheDudeOfGaming said:

Neal Stephenson is one interesting-ass motherfucker and he's got my $10. Did you catch the Gabe Newell appearance toward the end of the vid, as well?

I was blinded by the awesomeness of Mr. Stephenson's baldness + goatee combo, so i missed Gabe.

Voxus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Voxus

GABEN

sBlacksmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sBlacksmith

That motion sensor controller is a razer hydra, but it's an early model they showed (2010) and I don't think they ever launched. The retail hydra design is very different.

I wonder, are they just using footage from some random tech demo by razer or they actually own that controller and use it today? Or perhaps the gameplay thing they show in the video is from 2010?

All kinds of mysteries in that video..

Ps. Gaben appears at 3:03, during 3 seconds, hammering 3 times and talking about how it takes time to forge a crowbar.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.