Weisman bringing back classic Shadowrun (this wks big KS news).

  • 59 results
  • 1
  • 2
#1 Posted by Branthog (5563 posts) -

In the hour since it launched, it's already at $20k of $400k and almost 500 backers. I've been supporting a lot of smaller game projects, but it's cool that there continues to be a nice mix where a more notable project also has been launching every week. I have the feeling this is definitely a franchise enough people will want to see returning (even a nice tongue-in-cheek mea-culpa for the 2007 FPS Shadowrun..ugh).

Kickstarter: Shadowrun Returns!

#2 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -

hmm this is probably something i could get behind.

#3 Posted by DxBecks (72 posts) -

This is something I could see myself backing, I've never played Shadowrun before but, the concept looks interesting enough to me that I would consider playing it.

#4 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

All these kickstarters.

It's already past tipping point.

#5 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I thought that said Welshman bringing back Shadowrun... sigh.

#6 Posted by Branthog (5563 posts) -

@Tylea002 said:

All these kickstarters.

It's already past tipping point.

That's kind of a silly statement. That's like saying "god damn it, why are developers releasing another game this year? There are already 850 video games coming out in 2012, we don't need 851!". It's not like there's some limit or like it's a finite resource. In fact, these crowdfunded projects are even less subject to such things, because they only have to cater to the fans who really want to see them (either from an existing franchise, something new from an existing dev they like, or something new from someone fairly unknown).

Traditionally produced and published games have to reach a critical mas to be profitable. Crowdfunded games only have to hit a few hundred or thousand (or maybe ten or twenty thousand) who absolutely want said game and will pay the $10 or $30 or $60 or $100+ to back its production no matter what else is coming out. Shadowrun only needs to have a certain number of supporting Shadowrun fans. It is not at all dependent or impacted by the crowdfunded games that came before it.

The crowd also seems to be doing a pretty decent job of supporting the more interesting projects with something to back them up while letting the dumbasses who are making their first game with DarkBasic between periods in high school and can't even be bothered to provide a video or a photo or any justification for their appeal fall by the wayside.

#7 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

#8 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

People complain that new games are all sequels/fps, but when people try to fund new stuff they complain as well...

Edit: duh, this is a sequel too, but not a fps remake!

#9 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

That shooter was pretty cool, and stop fucking bitching about your RPGs made into not RPGs. Video games are cool, you don't get to say that and then bitch when they make a good one just because it's not a remake of the original.

So, this is a video game, not a new tabletop, I take it? Could be potentially awesome, assuming they do a good job of it. I always loved the world of Shadowrun, it's a pretty enjoyable table top too.

#10 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

hmm, so if you back enough you get special in game bonuses. Day 1 dlc?! :)

#11 Posted by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Just curious, why the SNES version? In my opinion, every 16-bit multiplatform title that I've played was indeed better on the SNES than on the Genesis except for Shadowrun. It's one of those rare cases...

Anyway, I'm considering backing this.

#12 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Just curious, why the SNES version? In my opinion, every 16-bit multiplatform title that I've played was indeed better on the SNES than on the Genesis except for Shadowrun. It's one of those rare cases...

Anyway, I'm considering backing this.

a) because I don't own and never have and probably never will own a Genesis and b) because from what I've read, the SNES seemed to be the preferred one.

#13 Posted by xxizzypop (577 posts) -

I actually enjoyed the FPS to some extent. That said, I have no fondness or experience with this series. While it was a good sales pitch, I just don't really know anything about Shadowrun outside of that mid-aughts game. It just came out before my time.

#14 Edited by Arabes (338 posts) -

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Why do you want to buy a copy for the SNES? I'm not getting on your ass about this or anything, I'm genuinely just curious. I was talking to a dude about this ina another post a couple of weeks ago. He was after getting a SNES and he was asking about what games were good for it. He was also saying that they were pretty pricey. So I said dl the ROM and an emulator and away you go. Why buy them second hand when you could just download them. You're not damaging the market with this piracy because you're buying the game second hand anyway.

I suppose in a bigger sense I don't see the difference between buying a game second hand and dl'ing a pirate copy. No money goes to the developer either way.

But, ya, shadowrun was awesome on both the megadrive and the snes, really different rps though, but both pretty cool. I love the cyberpunk meets dragons set up.

#15 Posted by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

@DeF said:

@bonorbitz said:

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Just curious, why the SNES version? In my opinion, every 16-bit multiplatform title that I've played was indeed better on the SNES than on the Genesis except for Shadowrun. It's one of those rare cases...

Anyway, I'm considering backing this.

a) because I don't own and never have and probably never will own a Genesis and b) because from what I've read, the SNES seemed to be the preferred one.

Huh. I thought the general consensus is that the Genesis version was the preferred version, but I need to dig them both up somehow and replay them.

#16 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I never played any Shadowrun previously but the concept is solid enough for me to back this project.

On another note, I don't really understand people who are anti-Kickstarter. If you're not into a particular project, just don't back it. For a quarter of the price of a retail game, I can get in on a project I want to see happen. Tons of people believe in these developers' visions and are willing to bankroll the project. Nobody loses.

#17 Posted by AndrewB (7589 posts) -

Why are people apologetic for new Kickstarter news, and why are people apathetic to new projects now that Kickstarter is in the news? Since when did people not like new games being announced? Especially ones outside the influence of the big soulless corporate publishers?

#18 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Arabes said:

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Why do you want to buy a copy for the SNES? I'm not getting on your ass about this or anything, I'm genuinely just curious. I was talking to a dude about this ina another post a couple of weeks ago. He was after getting a SNES and he was asking about what games were good for it. He was also saying that they were pretty pricey. So I said dl the ROM and an emulator and away you go. Why buy them second hand when you could just download them. You're not damaging the market with this piracy because you're buying the game second hand anyway.

I suppose in a bigger sense I don't see the difference between buying a game second hand and dl'ing a pirate copy. No money goes to the developer either way.

But, ya, shadowrun was awesome on both the megadrive and the snes, really different rps though, but both pretty cool. I love the cyberpunk meets dragons set up.

So you're asking why I wanna buy a used copy of an old game? Not why I want the SNES version vs. the Genesis version like ?

Well, I just like to physically own a copy incl. manual etc. I already have the ROM ready and waiting to be played on my Wii with a Classic Controller to emulate the original as much as possible but if I have the money to spare, I'd love to own the cartridge and the box. I like collecting the stuff I enjoy :)

@bonorbitz: Maybe we just heard/read that in different places. After looking at the Wikipedia page again, I'm not sure I'm remembering things right. Seems like the Genesis version is pretty different altogether. Well, I'll probably play both versions at some point and own neither since I'm short on cash most of the time anyway. :)

#19 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I never played any Shadowrun previously but the concept is solid enough for me to back this project.

On another note, I don't really understand people who are anti-Kickstarter. If you're not into a particular project, just don't back it. For a quarter of the price of a retail game, I can get in on a project I want to see happen. Tons of people believe in these developers' visions and are willing to bankroll the project. Nobody loses.

@AndrewB said:

Why are people apologetic for new Kickstarter news, and why are people apathetic to new projects now that Kickstarter is in the news? Since when did people not like new games being announced? Especially ones outside the influence of the big soulless corporate publishers?

I think some people are just annoyed easily by frequent news about stuff they don't care about.

#20 Posted by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Arabes said:

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Why do you want to buy a copy for the SNES? I'm not getting on your ass about this or anything, I'm genuinely just curious. I was talking to a dude about this ina another post a couple of weeks ago. He was after getting a SNES and he was asking about what games were good for it. He was also saying that they were pretty pricey. So I said dl the ROM and an emulator and away you go. Why buy them second hand when you could just download them. You're not damaging the market with this piracy because you're buying the game second hand anyway.

I suppose in a bigger sense I don't see the difference between buying a game second hand and dl'ing a pirate copy. No money goes to the developer either way.

But, ya, shadowrun was awesome on both the megadrive and the snes, really different rps though, but both pretty cool. I love the cyberpunk meets dragons set up.

So you're asking why I wanna buy a used copy of an old game? Not why I want the SNES version vs. the Genesis version like ?

Well, I just like to physically own a copy incl. manual etc. I already have the ROM ready and waiting to be played on my Wii with a Classic Controller to emulate the original as much as possible but if I have the money to spare, I'd love to own the cartridge and the box. I like collecting the stuff I enjoy :)

@bonorbitz: Maybe we just heard/read that in different places. After looking at the Wikipedia page again, I'm not sure I'm remembering things right. Seems like the Genesis version is pretty different altogether. Well, I'll probably play both versions at some point and own neither since I'm short on cash most of the time anyway. :)

I'm the same way about experiencing the classic game cartridge/CD on it's original system and controller. The nostalgia I feel playing that way feels more genuine than playing it on Virtual Console or with a ROM. If I can have the manual and box as well, that's even better.

If I recall correctly, the role playing elements in Shadowrun's Genesis version are truer to the original tabletop RPG than the SNES version, but it's uglier.

#21 Posted by Shookems (474 posts) -

Re-release the shooter as a free to play on steam

#22 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

I actually really liked the FPS, but oh well. Never played original Shadowrun, but this turns out well and all that.

#23 Posted by Arabes (338 posts) -

@DeF said:

@Arabes said:

@DeF said:

I'm in!

I've always wanted to track down a copy of the SNES game but that's one of those that are quite pricey (boxed with manual).

Why do you want to buy a copy for the SNES? I'm not getting on your ass about this or anything, I'm genuinely just curious. I was talking to a dude about this ina another post a couple of weeks ago. He was after getting a SNES and he was asking about what games were good for it. He was also saying that they were pretty pricey. So I said dl the ROM and an emulator and away you go. Why buy them second hand when you could just download them. You're not damaging the market with this piracy because you're buying the game second hand anyway.

I suppose in a bigger sense I don't see the difference between buying a game second hand and dl'ing a pirate copy. No money goes to the developer either way.

But, ya, shadowrun was awesome on both the megadrive and the snes, really different rps though, but both pretty cool. I love the cyberpunk meets dragons set up.

So you're asking why I wanna buy a used copy of an old game? Not why I want the SNES version vs. the Genesis version like ?

Well, I just like to physically own a copy incl. manual etc. I already have the ROM ready and waiting to be played on my Wii with a Classic Controller to emulate the original as much as possible but if I have the money to spare, I'd love to own the cartridge and the box. I like collecting the stuff I enjoy :)

@bonorbitz: Maybe we just heard/read that in different places. After looking at the Wikipedia page again, I'm not sure I'm remembering things right. Seems like the Genesis version is pretty different altogether. Well, I'll probably play both versions at some point and own neither since I'm short on cash most of the time anyway. :)

Cool dude, that was exactly what I was asking.

The megadrive version is more of a free form rpg that does stick closer to the table top game. The snes is more narrow but has cooler moments because of that.

#24 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I'm in too.
 
As I said in the other thread.
 

FUCK YES!

#25 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

@DeF said:

I think some people are just annoyed easily by frequent news about stuff they don't care about.

I don't get annoyed whenever a new handheld game or PS3 exclusive is announced. That's a weird reason to get worked up about something.

#26 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Sounds good chummer.

#27 Posted by HarlechQuinn (447 posts) -

All-in... Or at least I'll back some bucks. I played the SNES and the MegaDrive versions countless times, both were pretty awesome.

So now heading directly to the Kickstarter page to throw some money at them...

#28 Posted by DeF (4863 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

@DeF said:

I think some people are just annoyed easily by frequent news about stuff they don't care about.

I don't get annoyed whenever a new handheld game or PS3 exclusive is announced. That's a weird reason to get worked up about something.

It was just a wild guess. Could be totally off.

Anyway, I'm excited :)

#29 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11636 posts) -

Shadowrun? Ok. Sure. That's a brand of Pen and Paper RPGs that got turned into video games a few times. I'll have to wait and see for this one...

#30 Posted by Brodehouse (9882 posts) -

OH FUCKING SHIT DUDE. HOLY GODDAMN.

FUCKING SHADOWRUN NIGGA

FUCK ME IN THE ASS

PUT ALL THE MONEY IN

YOU GUYS DON'T EVEN KNOW HOW GOOD SHADOWRUN IS

FUCK DEUS EX AND SYNDICATE, SHADOWRUN MOTHERFUCKER

#31 Posted by supamon (1333 posts) -

Gahh... All these kickstarters and their attractive propositions. One or more of them is going to bomb or run with my money, I just know it!

#32 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Guys, I hear EA is going to buy Kickstarter...

#33 Posted by Skald (4367 posts) -

This is something I can get behind, for sure.

#34 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
@mosdl said:

Guys, I hear EA is going to buy Kickstarter...

@Skald said:
This is something I can get behind, for sure.
#35 Edited by mosdl (3228 posts) -

hah. Also, they are at over 50% of the funds.

#36 Edited by BlackLagoon (1410 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

@DeF said:

a) because I don't own and never have and probably never will own a Genesis and b) because from what I've read, the SNES seemed to be the preferred one.

Huh. I thought the general consensus is that the Genesis version was the preferred version, but I need to dig them both up somehow and replay them.

The Genisis version follows the rules of the tabletop RPG much closer, and does have a kinda neat Matrix run visualization. But IMO the plot and gameplay wasn't that engaging, the graphics were dull, and the whole thing got dragged down by having to grind out endless autogenerated fetch quests money and karma.

The SNES one on the other hand took considerable liberties with the magic system, giving you a mana pool instead of using stamina/health for spell casting and removing any penalty for essence loss. Naturally you turn into an insane self-healing, invisible walking tank by the end of the game, but I didn't really mind. The look, the music, the plot - from waking up in the morgue and starting to unravel the mystery of Armitage's background, to triggering the cortex bomb, to seeking out an alliance with a spirit to defeat a CEO dragon , all contributed to a really great and memorable experience. The dialog system was pretty neat too, where Jake would have vocabulary of words he could ask people about and every time he learned something it would add a new one to the list, growing pretty large by the end of the game.

Kinda bummed that the developer, Beam Software (aka. Krome Studios Melbourne) closed down not too long ago. Though they don't appear to have had much success since then, only one that stuck out to me was the Transformers Armada game, which I believe was rather well received at the time.

#37 Edited by BonOrbitz (2184 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@bonorbitz said:

@DeF said:

a) because I don't own and never have and probably never will own a Genesis and b) because from what I've read, the SNES seemed to be the preferred one.

Huh. I thought the general consensus is that the Genesis version was the preferred version, but I need to dig them both up somehow and replay them.

The Genisis version follows the rules of the tabletop RPG much closer, and does have a kinda neat Matrix run visualization. But IMO the plot and gameplay wasn't that engaging, the graphics were dull, and the whole thing got dragged down by having to grind out endless autogenerated fetch quests money and karma.

The SNES one on the other hand took considerable liberties with the magic system, giving you a mana pool instead of using stamina/health for spell casting and removing any penalty for essence loss. Naturally you turn into an insane self-healing, invisible walking tank by the end of the game, but I didn't really mind. The look, the music, the plot - from waking up in the morgue and starting to unravele the mystery of Armitage's background, to triggering the cortex bomb, to seeking out an alliance with a spirit to defeat a CEO dragon. The dialog system was pretty neat too, where Jake would have vocabulary of words he could ask people about and every time he learned something it would add a new one to the list, growing pretty large by the end of the game.

Kinda bummed that the developer, Beam Software (aka. Krome Studios Melbourne) closed down not too long ago. Though they don't appear to have had much success since then, only one that stuck out to me was the Transformers Armada game, which I believe was rather well received at the time.

You sure know your Shadowrun intricacies. I really need to go back and play those games.

Geez, I remember the Genesis version's graphics were really dull, though a lot of games for that system had that muddy, lack-of-vibrance look. I didn't know Krome developed the SNES version, and didn't know they developed Transformers Armada. That was a fun game.

@SeriouslyNow: How much of that Kickstarter is going to grooming that sweet 'stache?

#38 Posted by jaymorgoth (242 posts) -

If it's not like the Genesis version then I'm not paying a damn dime! That is the better version dagnabbit!

#39 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1530 posts) -

So awesome. I am so excited that turn based strategy is seeing support on Kickstarter. Publishers avoid it but it has its dedicated fan base to this day.

#40 Posted by EuanDewar (4899 posts) -

I actually liked the shooter, had some neat powers.

2007, simpler times.

#41 Posted by Murtaug (308 posts) -

I am starting the dash towards the "Too much Kickstarter" bandwagon, but this one really hits my soft spot and makes me slow a bit. I never really played the tabletop Shadowrun, but I have always had a great love for the universe. Maybe after PAX blows over and I can see how much of my walk about cash is left I will add this to my (small) list of backed projects.

The 2007 Shadowrun game was a good game, with the wrong name associated with it, and a complete lack of post release support. I hope this makes its goal, and that seems likely by the look of things.

#42 Posted by 1337W422102 (1009 posts) -

This is REAL Shadowrun, right?  None of that "Counter-Strike with magic" bullshit from a few years back?

#43 Posted by MikeFightNight (1109 posts) -

Oh God, I read the post as a ShadowMAN kickstarter. You had me excited.

#44 Posted by BlackLagoon (1410 posts) -

@bonorbitz said:

I didn't know Krome developed the SNES version, and didn't know they developed Transformers Armada. That was a fun game.

Well, they were a separate studio at the time, independent during the Shadowrun days, and then acquired by Atari and renamed Melbourne House when they did Transformers. They didn't join Krome until 2006, and then got shut down as Krome downsized in 2010.

#45 Posted by jakob187 (21665 posts) -

I am just putting this out there...

I totally have the achievement for tea bagging someone on Shadowrun.

#46 Posted by SlashDance (1814 posts) -

Wait wait wait... I get a wallpaper if I pledge 15$ ? Sign me the fuck IN !

Anyway, that's pretty good news, I can't wait until next year to see which one of these kickstarter projects ends up being a disaster and thousands of people ask for their money back. You know that's coming.

#47 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

Sure as hell looks like this is getting made.

#48 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

Less thank 9k left to get funded.

#49 Posted by LordAndrew (14426 posts) -
The project has made its goal already.
#50 Posted by Marz (5649 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
The project has made its goal already.
sweet.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.