An idea to make playing the game better

#1 Edited by Atary77 (500 posts) -

So we've all seen the crazy stand that Nintendo has bundled with this game to make playing it more comfortable for reasons that I'm sure you're all aware of. If you're not, go watch Brad's quick look he basically explains it. Now I can see why playing this game for an extended period of time would be really hard on your wrist but here's my idea to those of you who would like a better solution than having this stand with you on the go.

Hear me out, what if you could use like a small stylus that could attach to your right thumb? I know Nintendo tried something like this before with the classic strap from the original DS but it was so blunt and flat it didn't really help at all. But I know there exist more precise pointed accessories that could attach to your thumb that way you could actually hold the 3DS with both hands and just use your thumb for aiming.

Good idea or bad idea? You tell me. Also I apologize if anyone else has already thought of this or has been mentioned elsewhere on the site.

But what do you people think?

EDIT: I just re watched the quick look, forgot about the segment where someone suggested Brad tape the end of the stylus to the end of his thumb... whoops.

#2 Posted by Legend (2646 posts) -

I think it's a good idea. Anyone here tried a product like this and recommends it?

#3 Edited by Scullinator (512 posts) -

Thumb stylus works ok, thats how i remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters. Remember the old DS wrist strap had a thing for your thumb that most people didnt realize was there. There are thumb stylus avaliable on amazon.

The set up thats works for me and makes this game easy to play is to put the AIMING on the CIRCLE PAD and the MOVEMENT on the FACE BUTTONS.

I compare the feeling to playing Starfox. Took me just a level or two before it felt like second nature. I think it would really feel natural for Leftys!

I have played for hours and no soreness or hand cramps. Loving this game.

#4 Posted by rempresent (98 posts) -

I have had a little hand cramp but I haven't been playing that much. I love using the stand with the stylus but I shift my 3DS about a 1/2 an inch to the right. I can get a better grip by holding the 3DS and the stand together in the left hand. Anyone else tweaking this thing?

#5 Posted by UCRaider (47 posts) -

As a lefty there was obviously some adjustment period, but I got the hang of it eventually. The only real problem is that I wish the stand was a bit more firm, as sometimes it'll move along the table.

#6 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

I propose the idea of not being that much of a wuss that you can't hold a DS with one hand and touch it with the other.

#7 Posted by MuttersomeTaxicab (667 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

I propose the idea of not being that much of a wuss that you can't hold a DS with one hand and touch it with the other.

Have you actually tried playing this game without a stand or anything? You're not just holding the DS with your left hand. You're fucking around with the circle pad with your thumb, mashing on the shoulder button with your index finger and trying to cradle it with three fingers while you press on it with your other hand. It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with being a wuss or even muscles so much as it being extremely awkward and difficult to do comfortably.

#8 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Have you actually tried playing this game without a stand or anything? You're not just holding the DS with your left hand. You're fucking around with the circle pad with your thumb, mashing on the shoulder button with your index finger and trying to cradle it with three fingers while you press on it with your other hand. It really doesn't have a whole lot to do with being a wuss or even muscles so much as it being extremely awkward and difficult to do comfortably.

It is not nearly that bad. This is far from the first game to use these controls and I have never had a problem with Metroid, Dementium, Moon, Star Fox, or Kid Icarus.

You are being a wuss.

#9 Posted by Hailinel (23680 posts) -
@TentPole

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

It is not nearly that bad. This is far from the first game to use these controls and I have never had a problem with Metroid, Dementium, Moon, Star Fox, or Kid Icarus.

You are being a wuss.

QFT. The controls are fine the way they are.
#10 Posted by kishinfoulux (2250 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@MuttersomeTaxicab said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

You are being a wuss.

Considering the huge amounts of complaints the controls have received I don't think he is. I'm tired of the fanboys defending them. Doesn't make the game bad though.

#11 Posted by CaptainCharisma (339 posts) -

@Scullinator said:

Thumb stylus works ok, thats how i remember playing Metroid Prime Hunters. Remember the old DS wrist strap had a thing for your thumb that most people didnt realize was there.

That's what that was?! Mind blown.

#12 Edited by newfire (27 posts) -

I think the regular controls are great, especially when using some kind of extra support (including the stand). BUT after trying out the old DS thumb stylus, it is now my preferred control method. I sometimes have trouble with it's aiming precision in the on-foot sections, but the trade off is having better control over Pit's movement/ shooting. I don't remember how I played through Metroid Prime Hunters, but I'm assuming it was with the thumb stylus. I suggest it to anyone who wants more comfortable/ natural touch screen controls.

Note if you have short thumbs this method may not work well for you!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.