Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 22, 2012

Pit is brought back to life, now in 3D. Using clubs, staffs, arms, bows and a variety of other weapons, the loyal angel fights a host of old and new enemies in an all-new adventure.

Kid Icarus: Uprising Will Come With a Plastic Stand In Japan Because...Wait, What?

• 100 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

Has there been any greater torment to video game fans the world over than the tyranny of portability? While great games have come for consoles like the DS, the PSP, and the like, the true tragedy of these titles is the sheer amount of portability each console comes encumbered with. How many times have you found yourself playing a game like Super Mario Land 3D and suddenly become overwhelmingly frustrated by the unfettered ability to move your console around as you please? How many times have you been sitting on a subway train, plodding along at Ocarina of Time only to think to yourself, "Man, this game would be so much better if I could attach it to some kind of stand that could sit atop a table. Couldn't someone out there hear my cries of pain and displeasure?!?"

Finally. A plastic stand thing. Just what my 3DS was aching for.

Fear not person who would actually think something like this, for Nintendo has you covered--at least in Japan. You may have heard a rumbling or two over the last several months regarding upcoming 3DS title Kid Icarus: Uprising. Specifically, you may have heard the controls are an unwieldy, spastic mess that borders on unplayable in spots. Even more specifically, you may have heard this from me, because I've played it, and it's true. Or, at least it was true the last time I had the chance to play it, which admittedly was several months ago. That said, based on today's news, it sounds like maybe those issues aren't entirely worked out.

As an effort to address any potential control issues, Nintendo plans to release a plastic stand that will come bundled with Kid Icarus: Uprising. The stand (seen in the attached screenshot, provided by Masahiro Sakurai) sits the 3DS at a nice, playable angle, and also gets rid of all that infernal hand-holding. Presumably the stand is lightweight enough to where you could bring it with you, and set up the stand on, say, your laptop bag, or desk at work. Also presumably, no one in their right mind would want to do this with a handheld system because it's a handheld system. Hand. Held.

This news comes on the heels of yesterday's announcement that Uprising will also support the Circle Pad Pro attachment, with the goal of aiding left-handed players. So, in theory, the more sinister-minded folk among us could find themselves taking their 3DS off the charging dock, attaching a Circle Pad Pro, and then setting their system atop this plastic stand--provided the Circle Padded 3DS will even fit comfortably into this stand, of course. Now all that's left is for Nintendo to release a controller you can use to play the game from a distance and a video-out port that lets you play on your TV and oh wait that's a goddamned console.

Nintendo has not yet confirmed whether the stand peripheral will come along with the American and European releases of Uprising, but given that this is actually designed to make the game (theoretically) work properly, it wouldn't be insane to assume that it will. Or, well, any more insane than this story already is.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

Has there been any greater torment to video game fans the world over than the tyranny of portability? While great games have come for consoles like the DS, the PSP, and the like, the true tragedy of these titles is the sheer amount of portability each console comes encumbered with. How many times have you found yourself playing a game like Super Mario Land 3D and suddenly become overwhelmingly frustrated by the unfettered ability to move your console around as you please? How many times have you been sitting on a subway train, plodding along at Ocarina of Time only to think to yourself, "Man, this game would be so much better if I could attach it to some kind of stand that could sit atop a table. Couldn't someone out there hear my cries of pain and displeasure?!?"

Fear not person who would actually think something like this, for Nintendo has you covered--at least in Japan. You may have heard a rumbling or two over the last several months regarding upcoming 3DS title Kid Icarus: Uprising. Specifically, you may have heard the controls are an unwieldy, spastic mess that borders on unplayable in spots. Even more specifically, you may have heard this from me, because I've played it, and it's true. Or, at least it was true the last time I had the chance to play it, which admittedly was several months ago. That said, based on today's news, it sounds like maybe those issues aren't entirely worked out.

As an effort to address any potential control issues, Nintendo plans to release a plastic stand that will come bundled with Kid Icarus: Uprising. The stand (seen in the attached screenshot, provided by Masahiro Sakurai) sits the 3DS at a nice, playable angle, and also gets rid of all that infernal hand-holding. Presumably the stand is lightweight enough to where you could bring it with you, and set up the stand on, say, your laptop bag, or desk at work. Also presumably, no one in their right mind would want to do this with a handheld system because it's a handheld system. Hand. Held.

This news comes on the heels of yesterday's announcement that Uprising will also support the Circle Pad Pro attachment, with the goal of aiding left-handed players. So, in theory, the more sinister-minded folk among us could find themselves taking their 3DS off the charging dock, attaching a Circle Pad Pro, and then setting their system atop this plastic stand--provided the Circle Padded 3DS will even fit comfortably into this stand, of course. Now all that's left is for Nintendo to release a controller you can use to play the game from a distance and a video-out port that lets you play on your TV and oh wait that's a goddamned console.

Nintendo has not yet confirmed whether the stand peripheral will come along with the American and European releases of Uprising, but given that this is actually designed to make the game (theoretically) work properly, it wouldn't be insane to assume that it will. Or, well, any more insane than this story already is.

kist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By kist

Meh

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By MethodMan008

3ds man.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By laserbolts

Wow way to forget why people but handhelds.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Winternet

Madness.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#6  Edited By Hector

Attack of the Accessories.

jeanluc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By jeanluc  Staff

Just fix the game Nintendo! I don't want to use a stand for my 3DS because your controls are busted.

peewi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By peewi

Something like that would actually have been nice when I played The World Ends With You.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Tofin

I laughed pretty hard at this article. Nice one, Alex.

madlaughter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By madlaughter

"Now all that's left is for Nintendo to release a controller you can use to play the game from a distance and a video-out port that lets you play on your TV and oh wait that's a goddamned console."

Funniest thing I've ever read on GB. Well done, Alex, great article.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SlashDance
    No Caption Provided
    ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ghostNPC

Funny as always, Alex. Also, the 3ds is turning into the Genesis. Wonder how much more they can strap onto the damn thing.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By RobertOrri

Yet another excellent Navarro news article.

I'm interested in seeing if this stand really does support the Circle Pad Pro.

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ichthy

Oh Japan.

Catarrhal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Catarrhal

Kid Icarus should've never made a comeback in the first place. The only thing that game had going for it is the Eggplant Wizard.

Cincaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By Cincaid

Hilarious article, thanks for that.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I've heard some pretty negative things about the controls in the game.. now I really have to question them, if the ideal way of playing the game is with a stupid attachment, it sounds the game has some fundamental problems.

I get the feeling Pit's return may not last very long.

JimmyJackJones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By JimmyJackJones

Man, Nintendo loves their single use peripherals. I mean, sure, you can use the racing wheel or zapper or this thing with other stuff, but...come on, son.

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By tebbit

Good to see they learnt from Sega's MegaDrive add-on missteps that having a lot of peripherals is a good idea.

JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JimmyPancakes

This is madness!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#21  Edited By Humanity

Theres a lot of people that play their handhelds exclusively at home so I don't think it's such an OUT there idea even if it is defeating the purpose.

Julmust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Julmust

This is so fucking retarded.

VicRattlehead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By VicRattlehead

ill wait for the redesign...

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Tebbit said:

Good to see they learnt from Sega's MegaDrive add-on missteps that having a lot of peripherals is a good idea.

Ahh, the classic reply from the uninformed. Never gets. Ever.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

It shouldn't be a fix, but it's not a totally terrible thing to have. Doesn't seem like it'd actually be that comfortable though...

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tebbit

@Atramentous said:

@Tebbit said:

Me, uninformed? Sir, I will fight you.

morrelloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By morrelloman

The 3ds is turning into the Virtual Boy?!? Nintendo is so stubborn that they eventually force their crappy ideas on you.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 71Ranchero

@Tebbit said:

@Atramentous said:

@Tebbit said:

Me, uninformed? Sir, I will fight you.

You should look up how many add-ons Nintendo released for the NES(and then the SNES, N64, and Gamecube).

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By beforet

That doesn't even look comfortable.

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Thusian

Apparently they questioned Sakurai about it and he believes so strongly about the touch aim, he flat out turned down the option to have the Circle Pad Pro be used for dual analogue control. Its unfortunate, but hey sometimes a person with a vision just needs to be given enough rope. I typically like Sakurai games so it is a disappointment to see this unusual solution.

EmuLeader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EmuLeader

It looks like they need it for stylus controls. If one hand is dedicated to a stylus and the other is needed for quick movement on the circle pad, it could be a pain to hold in one and try to control as such. But then again, if this was going to be a problem, they should have designed around it and found a better control system.

Ronald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By Ronald

Next up, the Rumble Pack!

DrRandle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33  Edited By DrRandle

There are plenty of DS games that were Stylus + D-Pad control that this could have been useful for. Moon and Dimentium come to mind most immediately, but also Metroid Prime: Hunters. I'll say I haven't had any time with Kid Icarus, so I can't say, but it looks like it plays with that control set up, while playing a sort of Sin and Punishment style of game. I'm curious what I'm missing in the whole setup.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Benny

I'm sure it will be fantastic for games that use the accelerometer and gyroscope, and for anyone that loves sitting at the table to play their hand-held games.

ShuaReborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ShuaReborn

@SlashDance said:

No Caption Provided

Agreed. Looks like I'm selling my 3Ds for a Psv. At least that way I can hold the damn thing, and not go cross eyed.

Bgrngod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Bgrngod

Nintendo is STILL trying to prove that the Virtual Boy was a great idea that was ahead of its time.

I AGREE!! :D

Back to more Mario Virtual Tennis!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3
    deactivated-5e4c09d3ba1b3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

No Caption Provided

This is getting STUPID!

TopCat88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TopCat88

It doesn't bother me at all but in England at least the word 'spastic' (2nd paragraph) is seen by some as offensive. There's been a lot of issues in our press recently about this sort of thing (Google: Ricky Gervais and 'Mong') so perhaps as a heads up you might think about changing it. Again, it is of absolutely no offence to me personally but not everybody might see it this way. Not sure what the situation is in the states.

soupbones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#39  Edited By soupbones

I now count 2 band-aids for 1 game.

That's gotta be some sort of record, no?

NickBOTT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By NickBOTT

Wow Nintendo and their peripherals man...

crushed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By crushed

@DrRandle said:

There are plenty of DS games that were Stylus + D-Pad control that this could have been useful for. Moon and Dimentium come to mind most immediately, but also Metroid Prime: Hunters. I'll say I haven't had any time with Kid Icarus, so I can't say, but it looks like it plays with that control set up, while playing a sort of Sin and Punishment style of game. I'm curious what I'm missing in the whole setup.

Yeah, this just seems like something free thrown in for courtesy to all the people who have trouble with the control setups in DS and 3DS games (which Kid Icarus is not the first to do, BTW).

You'd think from the outrage that this was a mandatory add-on and all games would be forced to use it, instead of being... just a stand if you're at home and want to set your 3DS down.

Don't see the big deal at all.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vexxan

Hahaha wtf?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#43  Edited By Animasta

I play my DS pretty exclusively on my computer chair so... :P

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#44  Edited By Cybexx

Boy that 3DS sure is heavy, my weak fingers and palm can barely manage.

Oh thank god I no longer have to depend on my own strength, if only NIntendo would release some kind of plastic condom for the 3DS all my safety issues would be addressed.

RedFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#45  Edited By RedFive

Oh, Nintendo.

I wonder if I would get more use out of this stand than the Mario Kari Wii Racing Wheel or the Link's Crossbow Training Wii Remote Holder That Looks Like A Gun Kinda accessories.

Hmm. HMM.

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Thusian

@morrelloman: I won't debate that the idea is dumb, but how exactly do they force it on you? Put you in a chair with a gun to your head and insist you play it. Just don't buy it the message will come across loud and clear.

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By avidwriter

Oh Nintendo, do you want to go out of business?

Thusian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Thusian

@Crushed: You should know that your measured reasonable response is completely out of sync with the rest of the internet. This optional piece of plastic is not to be tolerated it offends me greatly and your lack of offense offends me even more. I am more enraged about this than any of the conditions of the Foxconn plant, and the impact Piracy has had. You should pack up your account right away you are far too reasonable to comment on the internet let alone read its stories.

MediumDave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#49  Edited By MediumDave

I enjoyed reading this entire article. This is kind of a dumb thing, but seeing as I have no plans to purchase a 3DS, it doesn't effect me.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By iamjohn
    @SlashDance
    No Caption Provided
    Couldn't've said it better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.