The Kid Icarus: Uprising Super Spoilerific Discussion Thread!

#1 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

In the interest of keeping spoiler-heavy discussion all in one place, I decided to go ahead and make a thread for that purpose. So if you couldn't tell from the title, there will be spoilers. Lots of spoilers. I will not be using spoiler tags. This is your final warning.

No, actually, this is.

SPOILERS BEGIN BELOW. TURN BACK NOW IF YOU DON'T WISH TO BE SPOILED.

We cool? All right.

I found the characters and story in Kid Icarus: Uprising top notch. There's just so much to love about it. The great dialogue, the humor, the meta references to video games and the original NES title, all of those elements work in service of a story that's really better than it has any need to be. I'm sure that some people would have been satisfied if the story were little more than a simple repeat of the original game, but it just goes so far beyond that, particularly after Chapter 9, when Medusa is killed and the actual villain Hades enters the picture. Those early, goofy charming chapters give way to a story that retains that goofy charm, even as things become more dramatic, and it all builds to a conclusion that's perfect; perfect for the story and its tone, for the characters as we've come to know them, and for the fans of the original game.

What really hit for me last night was when I beat back the Aurum invasion, only to get hit with a plot twist that threw me for a loop. Pit had been trapped in a ring, three years had passed, Palutena had become corrupted; basically, everything had been completely turned sideways. But Pit being Pit, he knew that he had to help Palutena. His character in some ways reminds me of Sora from Kingdom Hearts; he's pure-hearted and loyal, but also an adorable sort of doofus. He wears his heart on his tunic, and it's not hard to feel sorry for him when he sees what's happened to the one being in all of existence he'd do absolutely anything for.

And then he saves her, only to lose her again immediately. And just when he's saved her a second time, he nearly kills himself in saving Dark Pit. (Or should I just call him Pittoo? :P)

But it's that moment when Pit has finally been healed and he hears the Palutena he knows so well that's the absolute best. To go through the hell he did and be rewarded with exactly what he desired and to know that Palutena was all right, he sounded like he couldn't be happier. And I couldn't be happier for him.

And then there's the ending. Holy shit, what a finale. And what a fitting way to end it. It was so satisfying to see Medusa charge in and sucker punch Hades. And though she dies again, it's really worth seeing her get one more chance to shine as one of the three main players from the original game. And then Palutena charges up the cannon with her power, and Pit blows Hades away.

And then Pit gets his happy ending, with the humans roaring in celebration not of him, but Palutena. I can't think of a protagonist in a video game more selfless than him. He's pretty remarkable in that respect.

Shifting gears, I can't say enough about how spot-on the humor in this game is. I think the biggest highlights for me had to be Hades's explanation of what he'd wish for (the bottom screen illustrations add so much hilarity to it), Pit's observation of what Komaytos resemble, and those goofy stand-offs between Pit and Hades. You know:

"Pit."

"Hades."

"PIT."

"HADES."

"PIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIT."

"HADEEEEEEES."

This game just never loses its charm.

So what did you guys like, or didn't like, or maybe kind of liked but aren't really sure?

#2 Posted by GolazoDan (114 posts) -

I laughed out loud when Medusa turned up and Hades lost his head and they had a dialogue on the bottom screen where Medusa was arguing with a headless Hades (still talking, obviously).

Pit saving Pittoo was absolutely brilliant. Genuinely a great moment. The fact that's around such insanity and hilarity is impressive, they really shift tones nicely. Particularly after Palutena vanishes and the chapter ends with "We can't go after her, we have to leave! I'm sorry Pit! Plus, you'll probably want to save your game..."

#3 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@GolazoDan said:

I laughed out loud when Medusa turned up and Hades lost his head and they had a dialogue on the bottom screen where Medusa was arguing with a headless Hades (still talking, obviously).

Pit saving Pittoo was absolutely brilliant. Genuinely a great moment. The fact that's around such insanity and hilarity is impressive, they really shift tones nicely. Particularly after Palutena vanishes and the chapter ends with "We can't go after her, we have to leave! I'm sorry Pit! Plus, you'll probably want to save your game..."

Yeah, it's amazing how well the game is able to shift between tones. But I think that really says something about the strength of the characters. The writing is just so sharp and consistent that it's easy to get caught up in everything going on, even when they blatantly break the fourth wall.

#4 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4705 posts) -

I agree. 
 
That's really all I have to say. This game is fucking brilliant in so many ways.

#5 Posted by Twinsun (471 posts) -

I very much agree with everything you guys have said. I didn't expect this game to grab me the way it did, and I'm very happy I decided to buy it.

Also, although the controls seemed abrasive at first, I really started to enjoy them. I especially like the precision you get with the aiming of the touch screen.

I'll admit that my hand started to get a bit tired after 2 chapters, so I usually took the game's advice and took a break :).

#6 Posted by FierceDeity (358 posts) -

I absolutely loved chapters 15, 16, and 17. The banter between all the gods/goddesses was super well done, and the "join together to defeat a common enemy" cliche was pulled off perfectly - incredibly cheesy and incredibly endearing. This game is astounding - it gave Pit, Palutena, and company more character and personality than all other Nintendo characters combined in just ONE GAME. I really hope the game does well sales wise and this long awaited reboot of the Kid Icarus franchise continues past just one game. Just think what they could do on the Wii U.

#7 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@FierceDeity said:

I absolutely loved chapters 15, 16, and 17. The banter between all the gods/goddesses was super well done, and the "join together to defeat a common enemy" cliche was pulled off perfectly - incredibly cheesy and incredibly endearing. This game is astounding - it gave Pit, Palutena, and company more character and personality than all other Nintendo characters combined in just ONE GAME. I really hope the game does well sales wise and this long awaited reboot of the Kid Icarus franchise continues past just one game. Just think what they could do on the Wii U.

I know what you mean. It's utterly crazy how much development went into these characters, especially since the principal cast of the first game totaled three figures that fit into the age-old templates of protagonist, antagonist, and damsel-in-distress that's been around since Donkey Kong. It's great seeing them all with such diverse, goofy personalities. Seeing the characters being given this sort of treatment is fantastic. And with the characters and universe that they've built up in Uprising, I'd love to see a follow-up. Though hopefully it won't take another twenty to twenty-five years.

And the whole arc with the Aurum was hilarious. Especially Hades "helping" and Pyrrhon being, well, Pyrrhon.

@Twinsun said:

I very much agree with everything you guys have said. I didn't expect this game to grab me the way it did, and I'm very happy I decided to buy it.

Also, although the controls seemed abrasive at first, I really started to enjoy them. I especially like the precision you get with the aiming of the touch screen.

I'll admit that my hand started to get a bit tired after 2 chapters, so I usually took the game's advice and took a break :).

Yeah, the touch controls really are great, once you get used to the set-up. I don't think I could play this game using the Circle Pad aiming at this point, and I'm not sure that it would have the same sort of tension at the end when you have to keep your focus on Hades for Medusa's entrance.

#8 Posted by FierceDeity (358 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

It's great seeing them all with such diverse, goofy personalities.

They really do lend themselves to fantastic quotes. One of my favorites comes from Chapter 16:

Palutena: "Now, now, I think we can all agree that Pit's not a buzzard. Though I have seen him eat some questionable things off the ground..."

Pit: "Floor ice cream gives you health!"

#9 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@FierceDeity said:

@Hailinel said:

It's great seeing them all with such diverse, goofy personalities.

They really do lend themselves to fantastic quotes. One of my favorites comes from Chapter 16:

Palutena: "Now, now, I think we can all agree that Pit's not a buzzard. Though I have seen him eat some questionable things off the ground..."

Pit: "Floor ice cream gives you health!"

Hey, it's true!

#10 Posted by GunstarRed (5116 posts) -

I just finished this and all I have to say is WOW!. I have nothing but good things to say about this game, there's a couple of issues here and there, but most of them are completely erased by the amount of fucking awesome there is in this game.

Ok, first thing, if you're playing this without the 3D (assuming you can see it) you have missed some of the most amazing sights ever put into a game. the way the 3D mixes with the way you zip in and out of buildings, lava, constelations, PIRATE SHIPS IN SPACE! is stunning.

The music is just glorious, the orchestral stuff is so grand and mixed with the guitar and electronic stuff like the old snes-ish chapter 9 boss music it's easily one of the best game scores I have ever heard.

Holy shit is this game funny! Pit talking to himself, Viridi(?) and the whole "so you wanna go faster", the song I posted above, the superhero squad moment, the sun god! the pit/hades moment/s I was distracted far too many times throughout the levels because of how funny it is, the way characters just talk all over each other during levels should be annoying, it should make you want to throw the 3DS across the room but it's so spirited, charming and full of fun you can't help but love it.

Theres just far too much to talk about with this game, How insane the ending is, the top down shooter bit or how weird it is, yeah it's a weird game, but one that feels modern, full of achievements loot and perks and a story that's far lengthier than I ever imagined. (I thought I was at the end of the game twice)

Nothing but an insane amount of love for Kid Icarus. I can't wait to see what they do with this now, I'm sure they could make one hell of a Wii-U game.... I'm still twitching from my hand ache (controls are fine, it just gets do damn intense) and filled with a big warm glow. I never thought i'd say it after Mario, but this is the best game on the 3DS right now.

#11 Edited by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@GunstarRed: That top-down shooter segment was a neat twist. The game just keeps finding new ways to surprise, and it's brimming with goofy easter eggs, too. And the dialogue is just glorious, from Pit's dorky heroism to Hades's wiseass smugness.

#12 Posted by GunstarRed (5116 posts) -

@Hailinel: Hades is a ton of fun for the villain. He has a lot of Alan Rickman/Snape-isms.

#13 Posted by Hailinel (24400 posts) -

@GunstarRed: He really is one of the best villains I've seen in quite a while. And the voice actor they got for him is perfect.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.