Suda 51's Next Game is 'Killer is Dead'

• 114 results
#101 Posted by Fjordson (2448 posts) -

So another mediocre game that's "wacky". Sweet.

#102 Posted by golguin (3842 posts) -

I just finished Shadows of the Damned a few hours ago so I'm ready for another Suda 51 game after Lollipop Chainsaw.

#103 Posted by probablytuna (3533 posts) -

Still haven't played a single Suda51 game.

#104 Posted by dropabombonit (1484 posts) -

I hope this is some white hot suda 51 crazy

#105 Posted by AxleBro (797 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

This sounds like it'll end up feeling very similar to No More Heroes. Hard to get that excited.

@bighat_logan said:

CheapyD said Suda51 is huge asshole.

@Distrato said:

Cheapy D from Cheapassgamer lives in Japan and is friends with the grasshopper game devs. They all say Suda is a complete dick and they honestly wish he was dead.

Well, then fuck Cheapy D and his friends if they wish he was dead. That's a fucked up thing to say. He's a game designer, and a weird one that fashions himself an auteur. If we hate auteurs for being assholes, you better not listen to John Lennon, any member of Pink Floyd, just about any rapper ever, you better not buy games from Capcom, and you better not watch movies made by James Cameron, Michael Bay, Christian Bale, Mel Gibson, or, well, most filmmakers. Calm your tits.

i agree with this guy, cheapy has never even met suda as far as i know.

#106 Posted by TEHMAXXORZ (1199 posts) -

Dexter: The Video Game.

#107 Posted by munnyman5 (184 posts) -

@matthias2437 said:

Killer of killers... so he is making a Dexter game?

I have only heard of what Dexter is about in passing, and even I thought this. You speak for the people, sir.

#108 Posted by Daspletosaurus (11 posts) -

This is the best news I've ever heard. Ever. No exceptions.

#109 Posted by ptys (1881 posts) -

I worry that he's not investing enough passion in each game he's working on. If 'Lollipop Chainsaw' is any good, surely he'd just eat, sleep and play it till the launch? Does that mean the games just another project?

#110 Edited by graf1k (412 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

This sounds like it'll end up feeling very similar to No More Heroes. Hard to get that excited.

@bighat_logan said:

CheapyD said Suda51 is huge asshole.

@Distrato said:

Cheapy D from Cheapassgamer lives in Japan and is friends with the grasshopper game devs. They all say Suda is a complete dick and they honestly wish he was dead.

Well, then fuck Cheapy D and his friends if they wish he was dead. That's a fucked up thing to say. He's a game designer, and a weird one that fashions himself an auteur. If we hate auteurs for being assholes, you better not listen to John Lennon, any member of Pink Floyd, just about any rapper ever, you better not buy games from Capcom, and you better not watch movies made by James Cameron, Michael Bay, Christian Bale, Mel Gibson, or, well, most filmmakers. Calm your tits.

Just to clarify a little, in case no one else did, Cheapy said he knows/talked with some employees at Grasshopper and THEY said that Suda is an asshole who essentially doesn't contribute to the games he "makes" and basically gets all the credit for the games and something about the employees are making the games while Suda is out buying clothes and doing pretty much anything other than helping.

Whether that is hyperbole from some disgruntled employees or if Cheapy was just summing up what was said in very broad strokes, or if it's 100% true is hard to tell. But from what I remember about the episode Cheapy admits he's never met the man and if anybody wished Suda dead, it was the employees and I mean, who hasn't vented and said they wish their boss was dead before?

If Suda really didn't bring anything to the table, I'd imagine his employees would up and quit or go make their own studio or something. It's probably just some guys at Grasshopper that are pissed that Suda gets to come up with an idea for a game, they spend a bunch of time making it and he gets to say "Yeah that's good, no drop that, change this, change that" and then go off and hang with Kojima while they have to do more work, but guess what, that's what a director does. That said, if Suda is a dick and exploiting his employees or treating them like shit, should he really get a pass just because the game that comes out of it is good? I mean, by that logic we shouldn't care about all the reports about Rockstar overworking employees, the head guy at Team Bondi having been a massive prick, or when EA and/or Activision don't pay proper overtime as long as the game is good.

#111 Posted by MoeB (42 posts) -

He doesn't even work on his games.

#112 Posted by BitterAlmond (401 posts) -

@Little_Socrates said:

A-men. I don't care if the guy's a jerk, just so long as he makes good games and I don't have to deal with him myself.

#113 Posted by GaryDooton (59 posts) -

Well, to counter useless anecdotal evidence with further useless anecdotal evidence, I have also met Suda51, and he was super nice and a great guy.

*shrug*

As for the calming down of the zaniness - I feel that is the direction the studio is going in some ways, but then look at this Sine Mora thing they've taken on - it sounds very unusual and interesting. It's a common trade-off for anyone, any band, any company, whose success and popularity grows over time. Getting involved with smaller, unusual projects like Sine Mora tells me that the heart of the company hasn't changed.

Let's not forget, this is the guy who wrote a suicide story into a pro wrestling game for the SNES, which is properly crazy.

#114 Posted by SYMPHONICOLOSSUS (39 posts) -

@CaLe: No, he actually writes and/or directs games himself.

#115 Posted by littlehippie (16 posts) -

@ThePhantomStranger said:

Someone needs to make a sliding scale of asshole...wow that sounds terrifying...

My dreams just turned to nightmares.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.