Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

GOTY...has this gotten anything...at all?

• 53 results
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By handlas

I mean, seriously.  Is this game just being forgotten?  Does MW2 completely overshadow it because its the same genre?  Seems like every GOTY list on every site is focusing ONLY on games that were released in the last couple of months.  I guess Batman is the exception.

It's a shame because I got many many hours of playtime from this game and it gets zero attention.  I think it was nominated on some of Gamespot's awards but I don't recall it getting anything.  I've seen just a few other people complain about it on this site.  The BEST GRAPHICS award...this game should of instantly been on at least the honorable mention list if not win.  BEST MP, again should of at the very least been nominated (of course expect MW2 to win).

Yes, it's all opinion but it's a shame when a deserving game gets completely left in the dark and after receiving great reviews (5 stars here and not even a mention when GOTY comes around?)

Just thought it deserved some attention...even if just on a forum by someone whining.

scarace360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By scarace360

I don't think it has i think people have forgotten about it and thought like it came out in 08 or something.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Overall I feel the game has been ignored by everyone (not just GOTY awards).  Best FPS I've played in years (in terms of single player gameplay, level design and such) and it's getting mostly overlooked.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW

Trine and Bowser's Inside Story both got five stars here. They haven't gotten a mention as far as I know.  

I guess it just didn't stick with the guys. If they truly thought it was GotY material they wouldn't have forgotten about it, they'd have been playing it and  talking about it throughout the year. Obviously they feel it wasn't deserving.

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Rio

I find it unfortunate, the game was fantastic and I remember Jeff giving it quite the praise.  It almost seems like the time of release has made them forget about it, but I just find that way too hard to believe.  As of now I would say KZ2 and UC2 are the two best looking games (graphically) on consoles that I have seen, and KZ2 didnt even get a mention.  Oh well.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CowMuffins

It looks nice, but the aiming was clunky, and honestly if the main mechanic of the entire game is clunky, then I think that overshadows the nice graphics.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Diamond
    @CowMuffins: I think the overall gameplay being exceptional overshadows the slight input lag in the controls.
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By handlas
    @CowMuffins said:

" It looks nice, but the aiming was clunky, and honestly if the main mechanic of the entire game is clunky, then I think that overshadows the nice graphics. "

Personally, I think there was more to Killzone than just nice graphics.  The MP is where all the fun was to be had.  I agree the controls were clunky at the release.  The devs tried to pass this off as their choice tho...and I think I may believe them because they patched the controls, twice no less, when the complaining got too loud and this was after it had already gotten praised by critics.  The game plays fine NOW imo.
    ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By ieatlions

wasnt street fighter relased near this time period and in my opinion its managed to hold on to more appeal than killzone 2 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mordukai
    @CowMuffins said:

" It looks nice, but the aiming was clunky, and honestly if the main mechanic of the entire game is clunky, then I think that overshadows the nice graphics. "

Have you ever carried a full set of body armor and ammo and weapons?  
    GG just tired something new by giving the character the feel of weight, as if the equipment he's carrying is weighing him down. The problem is that CoD pampered gamers for so long that they expect every FPS to have the same feel. If you actually think about it, characters move way to fast in FPS but it's just a game after all, eh?.  

Also, GG have already patched it long ago and now if you are interested you can turn that feature off.  

@handlas:  
    I believe Gamespot gave it their best sound design and best MP game. 
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @ieatlions said:
    " wasnt street fighter relased near this time period and in my opinion its managed to hold on to more appeal than killzone 2  "
    I doubt that street fighter 4, which is a totally different game and genre, overshadowed Killzone 2...
    CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CowMuffins
    @Diamond:@handlas: The patch for the controls still didn't help that much. It just feels clunky. And they should have added keyboard support to the multiplayer. Many people don't have mics on the PS3 and many PS3 exclusives have keyboard support, like Metal Gear Online and LBP.
    dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By dbz1995

I actually thought that overall it was a better game than MW2 (FLAMESHIELD ON), but since none of my friends had it, I only rented it for a week.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By handlas
    @CowMuffins said:

" @Diamond:@handlas: The patch for the controls still didn't help that much. It just feels clunky. And they should have added keyboard support to the multiplayer. Many people don't have mics on the PS3 and many PS3 exclusives have keyboard support, like Metal Gear Online and LBP. "

I dunno, imo, they feel fine.  People without mics on PS3 isn't the games fault either.  I have a mic, but I don't use it.  I don't use the one on my 360 either.  Just personally preference.  Keyboard support would be nice for any FPS being a PC shooter lover.  Modern Warfare 2 doesn't have it either tho, now does it (on consoles)?  So I don't see why that would be a reason to disregard this game.

The game just feels different.  That's all it comes down to for me.  Which is not bad.  I don't want every single shooter to feel like Call of Duty.  I think a lot of people that complain have the mentality that if it isn't done like all the other top games then it must be wrong.  Which also is why I believe A LOT of people didn't even give Demon's Souls a chance either.  Hell, I was almost one of those people.  After an hour of being dominated by enemies I just about gave up.  Then I finally learned how to play the game.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Apparently they didn't like it as much as you did.

Oh, and it winning Gamespots shooter of the year, competitive multiplayer, and most improved sequel awards don't seem to mean anything to you. 

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By asurastrike
    @dbz1995 said:
    " I actually thought that overall it was a better game than MW2 (FLAMESHIELD ON), but since none of my friends had it, I only rented it for a week. "
    I agree with you. I had a lot more fun playing KIllzone 2 than I did Modern Warfare 2.
    sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By sjschmidt93

Jeff gave is 5 stars and still left it out of his list.

CowMuffins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By CowMuffins
    @handlas: Unlike LBP and MGO, MW2 is not a PS3 exclusive. And it's not a matter of making it feel like CoD, I've played many FPS's that have better controls than KZ2 that came out before CoD.
    Enokei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Enokei

Killzone 2 it was a good-decent game in my opinion ,  you should hold your own game of the year list/awards and sight it as one of yours Goty. Just a thought 

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By handlas
    @CowMuffins said:

" @handlas: Unlike LBP and MGO, MW2 is not a PS3 exclusive. And it's not a matter of making it feel like CoD, I've played many FPS's that have better controls than KZ2 that came out before CoD. "

well I'm just using CoD as the example since I'm sure majority of people hold that to the highest standard.  For me, Counter-Strike is the FPS that took away most of my life. (in a good way).  And before that it was probably Unreal Tournament.  Before that it was Quake.  Before that it was Doom.  So on.

Again, I think the devs purposely made the controls feel the way they did and thus it isn't "clunky" IMO if it is done with purpose.  If you wanna feel clunky controls, go play the Saboteur.  It's obvious that that is just incompetence (I still enjoyed the Saboteur tho).
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Venatio

It won GOTY in Gamereactor Sweden, but thats about all I know

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By EpicSteve

It's on my list.

In all seriousness I don't think Killzone 2 has many outstanding qualities outside of being a loud action game.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
    @SJSchmidt93 said:

" Jeff gave is 5 stars and still left it out of his list. "  

Jeff is more a MW 2 kind of guy then he is a Killzone 2. I guess that's just how he is. Though I wish KZ2 had some sort of online co-up but it didn't made me like the game less because of that. I think now, that Co-up is making a sort of comeback then maybe they will put it in KZ3.  

The funny thing I find is that when KZ2 came out a lot of gamer complained that it's main story was to bland or too full of FPS clichés but were all "AMAZED" by MW2 plot which is basically like a 5-6 hour Michael Bay movie with a WHOA! WOW! moment every 45 minutes. I guess that's just human nature. 
    handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By handlas
    @EpicSteve said:

" It's on my list.  In all seriousness I don't think Killzone 2 has many outstanding qualities outside of being a loud action game. "

it's on my list as well and, I, by no means, think it deserves GOTY.  I just find it odd that it doesn't even get a nomination from most sites nor does it win any sort of award (other than that Sweden award the guy above mentioned).  I mean it did get great reviews after all.   Hell, I put Cryostasis on my list because I found that game completely awesome and unique but I know it will never be on any list...anywhere.  Except Dave's list!

MW2 swept Gametrailer's reviews as well.  Best PS3 game, 360 game, and GOTY.  I suppose there is room for only one FPS this year.  I'm no Halo fan but I'm a little surprised to not see Halo ODST on any lists either.  At least it has the Halo name behind it unlike Killzone 2 with just a PS2 and PSP game.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jimbo

The lag in the controls was the 'feature' (bug) that made me give up on KZ2 after about an hour.

ZmillA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ZmillA

it wasn't even nominated for best graphics, lmao.

Floppypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Floppypants

The longer you follow certain critics, the more you learn how their taste differs from yours.  If you love Killzone 2 while the GB crew is ignoring it, use that to temper your opinion of them, not the game.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By handlas

actually I'm wrong about it getting no attention.  I guess I missed a few awards at Gamespot.  It got Best Competitive MP, Best Shooter, and Most Improved Sequel.  

That's better.  At least it got something and shockingly got Best MP and Shooter.  Which I think it deserves but would not expect it to receive.  Their GOTY list was a little buggy for me...kept sending me back to the main page for some reason.  Still no Best Graphics tho but at least it was nominated :p.  They had Artistic and Technical categories.  Still think it deserves technical best graphics...it did stuff that I've never seen in games before after all.  Like bullet holes that actually make holes in walls (for example).

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TwoOneFive

it came out too early so it got forgotten. but seriously, any site that did not at least nominate Killzone 2 for graphics is fucking stupid.  
    i think gamespot was the only site i agreed completely with most of the awards handling, despite me still having zero interest in demon souls. i guess im going to have to play that now grrr. im not a big rpg fan at all. 

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JoelTGM

It was really good, but the aiming is laggy.  I got into it for a while, played like 24 hours of the multiplayer over the course of a week... but when I stopped for a while and came back, I found I didn't like the aim and didn't want to try and get used to it again.  Oh and I totally thought that was a 2008 game.

r0k1ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By r0k1ll

I got nauseous playing it, so I have no say. Well made game, but the controls suck. I wanted COD controls, since those are more natural.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Burns098356GX

The controls in that game were brutal. So loose I couldnt play. It was an attempt of a Gears of War series for PS3.

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#33  Edited By Rhaknar

i liked it, but to me the only think it had going for it was the graphics to be honest. i only finished it months after getting it at launch, its a good game, but nothing else. I had fun with a shitload more games this year than with KZ2 im afraid, even games that are technically inferior. Hell, I had more fun with wolverine than with KZ2

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34  Edited By spacetrucking

It was Gamespot's Best Shooter of the Year. I can agree that it has the best shooting mechanics and the cover system is still the best for a FPS. However, the game lacks any kind of narrative value and the dialogue (especially Rico's) was just god awful. You can rag on games like Halo or Gears for their terrible story but  they are certainly doing something right because people want to know what happens to Master Chief or Marcus Fenix. Killzone 2 lacks that Master Chief effect and there's nothing here to keep people caring about the characters. It's probably the very reason that most people have forgotten about the game. The multiplayer is awesome but I doubt any game journalists have the time to play a single game for more than a month or two.

I want Guerrilla Games to just drop the Killzone franchise and use that shooting mechanic in a better fiction. Or just hire some amazing writers to salvage the mess they created in the first two games.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By pause422

It honestly doesnt deserve anything for GOTY. So many better games came out this year..its easy to forget KZ2. While I dont think MW2 deserves GOTY anywhere either, like it or not, its going to get it in some places without a doubt, and KZ2 definitely wont get shit really anywhere.

ieatlions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ieatlions
    @TheMustacheHero said:
    " @ieatlions said:
    " wasnt street fighter relased near this time period and in my opinion its managed to hold on to more appeal than killzone 2  "
    I doubt that street fighter 4, which is a totally different game and genre, overshadowed Killzone 2... "
    i personally think it did,
    calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37  Edited By calidan777

No, and it shouldn't either, I through it back in the other day only to remember just how fucking jacked the controls were, especially considering how much MW2 I've been playing. That game had amazing EVERYTHING, but they fucked up on the very most important part of the game: the controls. Still pisses me off when I think about it.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Nasar7

It has a place on my list, I enjoyed it plenty.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By get2sammyb
    I was just coming to post a similar thing. What actually blows my mind is that - even if it gets ignored for EVERYTHING else - it's graphics are being ignored. There are lots of "best graphics" awards popping up all over the 'net and barely a mention for Killzone 2, which, in many ways was certainly comparable to Uncharted 2 for it's stunning visuals.

I think a lot of it does have to do with the time it was released, but also the forgettable plot.

Still, I feel for Guerrilla, it's certainly not the best game of the year, but it definitely deserves recognition - even if its just for its graphics or multiplayer.

EDIT: And dude yes, having read some of the other posts in this thread - the audio. It was stunning. Truly stunning. That DEFINITELY deserves praise.

EDIT 2: And by the way, Killzone 3 - trailered at E3. And you'll play as the Helghast this time. Calling it. Absolutely calling it.

@Killjoy: The fiction's actually quite interesting. They have a whole backstory on the site that's fascinating. The problem is, they don't choose to use any of it. Oh, and, you're playing on the wrong side. Which is exactly why I think it'll be from the Helghast's point of view next. And I think they'll work much more on the story for Killzone 3. At least I hope so.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By TwoOneFive

it had the best graphics this year. overall uncharted 2 probably looks better, but it had no where near the amount of awesome effects going on constantly.  
    the audio was incredible too.  can't really say the same for uncharted 2, the audio is good in that but it ends there. 
    the story was more then good enough to carry me through the excellent gameplay of the campaign.  i was so engrossed in the gameplay that i couldn't care less about the story, but i thought it was still bad ass, and quick enough to the point to keep me getting straight back into the gameplay. 
    the online is top-notch and definitely set the bar high for FPS's that follow. you can see many things in MW2 that were obviously put in place because of its success and design in K2.  map designs in KZ2 online are the best I've ever played and the fact that they contain  all the badass effects going on that you see in the SP is just sooo awesome. when you play cod4 online it just feels like a straight forward videogame, but online in KZ2 feels like everytime you hop into a match, you just walked into a fucking war. 
     as for awards, mostly every site (with a staff that has any brains) nominated it for technical awards and in the shooter category and so on.  

Gamespot awarded KZ2 several awards by the way, 

Most Improved Sequel 
    Best Shooter 
    Best Competitive Multiplayer 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By guiseppe

It's been nominated on several sites. For best graphics and best multiplayer... I think.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By handlas

well now we can listen to the bombcast and here the justification.  Which they justified their reasoning pretty well.  Except they pretty much settled on Infamous being a top 3 right off the bad which I completely disagree wtih.  But it just comes down to opinion.  And, my favorite game, Demon's Souls was pretty much out of the running right off the bat :p

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By artofwar420

It has Burnout Paradise syndrome, remember how that came out early.... last year right? And it was sort of forgotten in the awards department. It was mighty popular though.
    roddy72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By roddy72

Yeah i too found it weird that it good little attention as it defiantly has some very good qualities to it. Great music/sound, graphics, Art Direction, animation, gameplay/controls (debatable), deep multiplayer, and great villains except some of the ISA characters who were questionable.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#45  Edited By AgentJ

It's not even the best game on its console. Why would it be in line for a GOTY award?

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I didn't forget about it but I just didn't like it very much.  Not on my top ten games of the year, that's for sure.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By Marz

Uncharted did deserve best looking game of the year, but killzone 2 definately deserved to be nominated, dunno why giantbomb dudes dropped a bomb on that.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FunExplosions
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " It was really good, but the aiming is laggy.  I got into it for a while, played like 24 hours of the multiplayer over the course of a week... but when I stopped for a while and came back, I found I didn't like the aim and didn't want to try and get used to it again.  Oh and I totally thought that was a 2008 game. "
    All of that. Until I GiantBombed it real quick and found it came out in February.
    CrazyCraven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 20

#49  Edited By CrazyCraven

I think it picked up best multiplayer on a few sites. 

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Boiglenoight

It was on my list, but I think what kept people from playing this game is the control scheme.  Which is a shame, really because I think the developer should be applauded for trying something new.  The precision setting helped a bit, but as much as I enjoy Killzone 2 multiplayer, I find myself fighting the controls even still.  It's difficult transitioning from Killzone to just about any other console FPS, and then back again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.