Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

No Collector's Edition of Killzone 2

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

Edited By jeff
    That's right, no silly tins, no crappy helmets taking up space on your shelf for the rest of eternity. Sony's Jeff Rubenstein confirmed in a comment on the official Sony blog that there will only be one version of Killzone 2:

There is no collector’s edition slated for Killzone 2. Guerrilla Games has put all of their effort into creating this masterpiece of a game, so we didn’t actively pursue a CE.

It will come in a box, which will contain a Blu-Ray disc that has Killzone 2 on it. After all these years of waiting for Guerrilla's hotly anticipated first-person shooter, that's probably going to be plenty. As someone who is repeatedly suckered into buying more expensive editions of games that rarely offer enough meaningful stuff to justify the expense, you can count me as thankful. Though a big Helghast figurine might have been cool, now that I think about it...

While we're on the subject, here's an interview that Rubenstein conducted with Guerrilla's Hermen Hulst during CES last week:

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By jeff
    That's right, no silly tins, no crappy helmets taking up space on your shelf for the rest of eternity. Sony's Jeff Rubenstein confirmed in a comment on the official Sony blog that there will only be one version of Killzone 2:

There is no collector’s edition slated for Killzone 2. Guerrilla Games has put all of their effort into creating this masterpiece of a game, so we didn’t actively pursue a CE.

It will come in a box, which will contain a Blu-Ray disc that has Killzone 2 on it. After all these years of waiting for Guerrilla's hotly anticipated first-person shooter, that's probably going to be plenty. As someone who is repeatedly suckered into buying more expensive editions of games that rarely offer enough meaningful stuff to justify the expense, you can count me as thankful. Though a big Helghast figurine might have been cool, now that I think about it...

While we're on the subject, here's an interview that Rubenstein conducted with Guerrilla's Hermen Hulst during CES last week:

grainger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By grainger

:O im offended! haha

to be honest i dont buy that crap anyway, a nice looking game box is fine with me... i bought the GTA limited edition, for the rockstar keyring, which i have now lost :).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170
    deactivated-5e0e0ee2ea170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

Good I hate them anyways.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Yep there a waste anyways, I`m glad.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#5  Edited By citizenkane

Don't worry, Jeff.  I'm a sucker for buying CEs as well.  I proudly display my Halo 3 helmet in the Lounge/Game room, though.  It brings the women.

dtran1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By dtran1212

i don't buy CE anyways

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By pause422

I think that's kind of good. 9/10 times CE's are filled with nothing more than a soundtrack or a "behind the scenes" extra dvd, and 10-20$ more for it is alwyas a ripoff.

Avatar image for psychoanalytic01
    PsychoAnalytic01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PsychoAnalytic01

Aww man that sucks...i was actually looking forward to buying CE of this game. Heck the only two CEs i ever bought were for Resistance 2 and MGS4. I am disappointed.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

CE's can definitely be a waste of money depending on what extras are given.

I assumed they would have wanted to showcase the immense amount of work that has gone into the production of the game. The traditional fare of videos and other extras do that well. I find that some content on CE can increase my appreciation of a game. That's no bad thing for any such huge project.

They should be able to provide such content via download at little cost to both them and us. That's the way to go with such content.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoelTGM

It's a scam!

DorianBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By DorianBlack

CE versions of games are usually a complete waste of money anyway. Just a tin case and some movies that will be on youtube the day of launch.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I would not buy the collector's edition anyway

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By get2sammyb

I would have bought the collectors edition but... I'm not particularly fussed that I'm not getting one.

This seems like another example of Sony's seeming arrogance at not wanting to make lots of money from their early '09 flagship shooter. Is anyone convinced they're going to spend any money on advertising this?

EDIT: Just to clarify what I said above - I mean like, Sony seem to think Killzone 2 will sell itself. Which is fair enough, I can see why they think that. But they have to get it in peoples homes first. They need to create a furore. I'm not saying collectors do that but it's just a bit of extra fan service, something a bit more shiney in the shop, etc.
    makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By makari

You know hes the real Netherlands deal with a name like Hermen Hulst.

GioVANNI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GioVANNI

I'm probably not even going to buy the game itself.  Probably a rental for me.

mac512k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By mac512k

And I was so waiting for a  lolz cat helghast 

Rio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rio

no CE is fine with me.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By Karmum

Kind of unfortunate, but at least they wouldn't be releasing one that subsequently would be overpriced.

niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By niall077

One version to rule them all.

(or some """ like that)

looking forword to killzone2,  I like the more realistic feel but I fear Reviews will mark it down for not being "Call of Duty" enough

Pkshields

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By Pkshields

Same, no CE if fine with me.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am okay with that. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

It's weird for such a high profile game not to have a CE. It's not necessarily a bad thing though. No reason for me to waste my money on junk I'll never use again. Heck, it's a great thing. I hate the dudes at my local game store trying to force CE's onto me. They even tried to sell me the Far Cry 2 CE, the notable thing in the package being a T-shirt. A medium size T-shirt. There I am standing there, big, fat me, and they're trying to sell me a T-shirt that wouldn't fit me in a billion years.

OK, so my real beef is with the idiots at my local game store, and not CE's, but I like taking my anger out on people that don't deserve it. Yeah that's right, I'm blaming you Jeff Gerstmann!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jackel2072

Im down with no CE.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By crunchUK

oh well collectors can collect the ordinary edition

btw wtf is the point of collecting collectors editions?

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#25  Edited By DukeTogo

Considering how poorly the Collector's and Limited editions of games have done lately it's no surprise.  I'm actually surprised Sony for once did something right in the marketing department.

Look at the last CE editions of games in the past year.  I've seen most of them marked down to regular price a mere month or two later, when they were supposed to be so hard to find and valuable.  The recent MMO ones are particularly amusing.  I remember seeing folks pay 2-3 times the price for Age of Conan CE.

The current "economic situation" just makes those even less appealing, when buying a video game is already frivolous spending, paying more for useless junk just makes it all the more so.

The only one so far that seemed worth it was WotLK  They offered some great bonus items that easily offset the price difference.

My idea is if you want to make a Limited Edition, make it really limited.  Like 1,000 of them worldwide and have it cost $500 with some crazy item.  I remember the one from way back for the Sega Saturn for Enemy 0.  There were someting like 20 of them and each one was delivered to you in person by Kenji Eno, the lead producer/designer of the game.  THAT'S limited.

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Bigrhyno

Fine with me. I have only gotten a CE edition once, and that was because it was the same price as the regular edition when I got it.

Hef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Hef

It would of just been something that you look at once and never really care for again anyways. As long as i get to play this game on the 27th, I'm okay.  I'm even more exciting for when i can download the demo on the 5th.  If you couldn't already tell, I'm pretty stoked for this game.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LiquidPrince

A Helghast would have been cool.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Hey, Legendary *Edition was awesome! So worth the money for the helmet and what not. Then again, mine is signed... Message me if you don't believe it.

And also, the game is not realistic lol. Its really not. Trust me.

This is just another slightly to plain old weird decision that has me wondering whats wrong with Killzone 2 that is making Sony so careful about this... I hope the game is good though, I expect it won't be quite what the hype shit is saying, but man does my PS3 need a new shooter. I don't think Sony is expecting the game to "sell itself" as I've seen over the interwebs, thats just not terribly Sony of them, which is why I'm worried that all we are getting is trailers with alpha code stamped on (even though the game is nearing its release you would think we would get more then alpha code o.o) and thats about it. No demo at first unless your already getting the game, no special edition.. I dunno.

"but I fear Reviews will mark it down "

lol, you funnnny. Have you seen how much hype the game is getting? One of two things is going to happen. The game is going to suck, and the scores will be horrid, OR, the game is going to be good, but its going to be WAY over scored.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By lordofultima

This game is if anything under-hyped, maybe you just don't realize it because you read about video games all day. CE stuff usually sucks, so it's good that they're not worrying about it.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Impossibilium

Why not just forget the case and sell it in a paper sleeve?

Too much hype is a bad thing but in the case of Killzone 2 it's like after the infamous E3 trailer they've become so scared to announce anything or celebrate an idea that might get them some negative comments they won't say anything.

After this long in development a making of disc would at least be something. Holy crap. When this game goes gold the staff will probably say:

"Umm. The game's finished everyone. See you tomorrow I'm going home to watch American Idol."

I can't remember any flagship title that I've been less excited about. Or aware it's actually being released.

Avatar image for byongping_suzahulu
    byongping_suzahulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

collectors edition is fucking bullshit. finally a developer with some good sense. its about the game. not the box it came in.

ybouc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ybouc

Dammit, why did you have to mention the helmet taking space on my shelf... :(

LiK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By LiK

the Resistance 2 CE didn't sell well. not surprised.

Argyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Argyle

"As someone who is repeatedly suckered into buying more expensive editions of games that rarely offer enough meaningful stuff to justify the expense, you can count me as thankful."

I couldn't have said it better myself...

Now I can start saving up money for the SFIV & RE5 CE's! 

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Media_Master

Sweet vid!

Xcessive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Xcessive

There is a pre-order bonus tin
    EB games dude

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Rowr
    get2sammyb said:
    "This seems like another example of Sony's seeming arrogance at not wanting to make lots of money from their early '09 flagship shooter. Is anyone convinced they're going to spend any money on advertising this?

EDIT: Just to clarify what I said above - I mean like, Sony seem to think Killzone 2 will sell itself. Which is fair enough, I can see why they think that. But they have to get it in peoples homes first. They need to create a furore. I'm not saying collectors do that but it's just a bit of extra fan service, something a bit more shiney in the shop, etc."
     I know what you mean. It's just like the way the PS3 was going to sell itself.
    They have probably spent more on advertising for LBP than that game actually sold, so maybe they are a little shy.
    psmgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By psmgamer

Glad to see no CE of Killzone 2 just a regular edition and thats its. This game doesn't really need a CE because I probably wouldn't pay for one if Sony even did announce one.

starfox444

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By starfox444

Aw there are pre order edtions out, like EB has a metal tin and somewhere else i saw had a shirt that i sort of liked aswell. Maybe it was play-asia since i check that a lot.

Shane394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Shane394

Hang on.... what kind of accent is that in the video? I  think at one point in the video the guy says, "So I was going to bone my girlfriend...."

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zereta

Was the helmet referencing the master Chief helmet from Halo 3? lol

Hey I like that helmet. I would do anything for it

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By get2sammyb
    Shane394 said:
    "Hang on.... what kind of accent is that in the video? I  think at one point in the video the guy says, "So I was going to bone my girlfriend....""
    Guerilla are from the Netherlands; a.k.a. Holland.
    CallMeRotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CallMeRotten

Eh, no big loss. I think the whole "Collector's Edition" thing has been done to death, granted some games get some cool extras (ie: action figures, artbooks, extra content) but most of the time you get crap for such a high price tag.

Think about it this way, if Killzone 2 turns out to be worth a damn and sells big time then you can expect something fancy for the next game.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ProfessorEss

I say good for them.
    Collector Editions are, in my opinion, a waste of money that ends up being little more than junk lying around yer house.

Darkfie1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Darkfie1d

man I was really hoping for a CE. Sony is neglecting these tiny lil excitements. if I am to buy a game that suppose to be a Halo rival, I want things to put on the table and brag about it. I still brag about my original HL2 T-Shirt.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.