Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 2

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 27, 2009

Take the fight to the Helghast in this first person shooter from Guerrilla Games.

Why Do I Have To Kill The Helghast When They're The Good Guys?

• 61 results
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb
    PushSquare (Subscribe)

Somewhat  souring my experience with Killzone 2 was the admittedly weak narrative running throughout the entire single-player campaign. If you’ve played the game, like myself, you probably harbour an underground loathing for Rico that occasionally forces you bolt upright covered in a cold sweat during deep sleeps. The only redeeming factors Killzone 2 has as a story come from the “antagonists”, the Helghast, a mysterious race whom we’re assumed to hate but never quite told why. It’s no wonder; my research concludes that they’re the bloody good guys!

A friend of mine recently put me on the trail of the Killzone 2 backstory. Not only was I blown away that Sony’s biggest shooter actually had a deep history, I was actually dumbfounded as to why Guerilla opted not to use any of it. The plot is good and it’s a shame Guerilla didn’t put more into it. The glorious technical feats achieved in Killzone 2 could have been seriously underlined if they’d been given more context. Like the war itself; I just assumed the Helghast were rotten aliens trying to take over the world. I never once questioned the motives behind my foul-mouthed team. I guess that’s for the best given that the ISA are rotten, raging hypocrites.

According to Guerilla’s story, the Helghast aren’t bad guys at all. To put it all into simple terms, the Helghast are a corporation formed on Earth; an offshoot of the United Colonial Nations whose objective is to inhabit new planets due to the breakdown of Earth. When six UCN colony ships go missing, financial crisis takes place and the government are forced to auction off two newly discovered planets: Vekta and Helghan. The Helghast buy both of the planets and settle on Vekta. As time progresses, the Helghast find industry by using Vekta as a hub for passing ships - charging for the privilege. Jealous of the Helghans profits, the UCN send the ISA to cope with the problem via force. The Helghans are forced to surrender and are banished from Vekta, leaving their other acquisition - the planet Helghan - the only other habitat for them to live on.

Learning of this had a real unexpected effect on me. Throughout the entirety of the two Killzone games we are made to feel like the American stereotype action-hero douches are the good guys. When in fact they are the fucking bad guys. And it got me thinking you know - Guerilla could really make a hook by allowing us to play as the Helghast. It’s very rare that you get to play a war game from the “other point of view”.

In the case of Killzone though, the “other point of view” would not only be interesting, it would actually be better. There’s no denying that the Helghast’s brief appearances throughout Killzone 2 are the highlights. Imagine where Guerilla could take that - a video game not only technically pleasing but also narratively convincing too.

Here we have a race of people who have been extradited from there own homeland through the jealousy of a bigger corporation. The potential for amazing narrative is high, and it’s something I hope Guerilla will have in mind for the inevitable follow-up of Killzone 2.

Please let me play as the Helghast, Guerilla. They’re the people I care about, not fucking Rico.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

Ya I don't care about the game's story. I'm just here to shoot fools.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Diamond

You're not the first person to bring this up, by far.  I agree, maybe they should make Killzone 3 entirely from the perspective of the Helghast, or release a DLC expansion with a new SP campaign.  Not only does the backstory describe the Helghast as the good guys, but they're the most destincitve design of KZ2 (even if it's completely ripped off Jin-Roh).

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#4  Edited By LordAndrew

I always find it weird when they go to great lengths to create a fleshed-out story, and then don't actually make use of it. What a waste.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

Have you ever played TIE Fighter?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By HandsomeDead

This is kind of the same reason why I wish someone would have the cojones to release a game where I got to play as a Nazi soldier. Not only would that be the only World War 2 game worth playing since Call of Duty 2 but it'd actually have some kind of underlaying moral current instead of just 'FUCK YEAR WAR!' which is what we normally get.

zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By zitosilva

Yeah, it was hard to care about the game's story, but you kinda felt that there was something wrong with your motivations after that last speech.
    It would be very interesting to play as the Helghast, but I think we'd first need another Killzone with a more fleshed out story in the ISA point of view. Right now it's not possible to care about any of the sides, because they are way too bland.
    Then again, it's possible that we'll see a "third side", because Sev might now be conscious that both sides are wrong.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By get2sammyb
    zitosilva said:
    "Then again, it's possible that we'll see a "third side", because Sev might now be conscious that both sides are wrong."
    That's interesting. I hadn't thought about it from that point of view.
    DerkDigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DerkDigg

well, they had to leave something for Killzone 3 :P

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Coltonio7

They started it.

Avatar image for existentnighthawk
    existentnighthawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Afroman269 said:
    "Ya I don't care about the game's story. I'm just here to shoot fools."
    Well said.

Coltonio7
    said:
    "They started it."
    QFT.
    Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pazy

Not that I care about the story of Killzone but its almost more interesting to play as the ISA if there the bad guys, in concept at least, since we always play the good guys. Someone let me play as the "Nazi's" in WW2, let me see the german soldiers and why they are fighting and watch them cry when there buddy's are shot.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13  Edited By JudgeDread

good points

now go watch Starship Troopers again with that mindset

then think about the iraqi war with the same mindset
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    HandsomeDead said:
    "This is kind of the same reason why I wish someone would have the cojones to release a game where I got to play as a Nazi soldier. Not only would that be the only World War 2 game worth playing since Call of Duty 2 but it'd actually have some kind of underlaying moral current instead of just 'FUCK YEAR WAR!' which is what we normally get."
    That's a good point. It could be very interesting to see the events from their perspective.

Anyway, I've never played Killzone, but certainly assumed the Helghast were the bad guys. It could have made a cool twist ending for them to reveal to you that the dudes you've been killing all this time actually aren't bad.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187

Starship Troopers, sir.  Starship Troopers.  Every time someone roots for the humans, I just sit back and giggle at their inate stupidity.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By crunchUK

cos there noobs its ur duty

Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Guardian
    Coltonio7 said:
    "They started it."
    Yup.
    Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Godwind

Because it is of other FPSes such as Halo.  Halo being a mediocre game, has been cloned more than any fighting clone has been invented.   As a result, the story would be inherently screwed up.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Diamond
    jakob187 said:
    "Starship Troopers, sir.  Starship Troopers.  Every time someone roots for the humans, I just sit back and giggle at their inate stupidity."
    I only ever saw the movie.  Didn't the bugs attack completely unprovoked?  Helghast are former humans living a jilted existence.  Kicked out of their homes and forced to live on an incredibly shitty planet for the profit of the ISA.  They have an excuse.  Even if the humans were beating the shit out of the bugs and had all that war propaganda, it was justified.
    thiago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By thiago

It seems that the first Killzone had a lot more story, but people didn't seem to care. So this time they just did a regular shooter.

RawShark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By RawShark

I'm sympathetic for the Helghast because they're the badass gasmasked Brits against the gung-ho American gimps.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
    Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Starship Troopers, sir.  Starship Troopers.  Every time someone roots for the humans, I just sit back and giggle at their inate stupidity."
    I only ever saw the movie.  Didn't the bugs attack completely unprovoked?  Helghast are former humans living a jilted existence.  Kicked out of their homes and forced to live on an incredibly shitty planet for the profit of the ISA.  They have an excuse.  Even if the humans were beating the shit out of the bugs and had all that war propaganda, it was justified."
    Actually, the humans are the Third Reich, and the bugs are the Jews.  Give it to the Americans to fuck up a great book.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Diamond
    jakob187 said:
    Actually, the humans are the Third Reich, and the bugs are the Jews.  Give it to the Americans to fuck up a great book."
    I figured your point was lost on the movie conversion.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    I only ever saw the movie.  Didn't the bugs attack completely unprovoked?  Helghast are former humans living a jilted existence.  Kicked out of their homes and forced to live on an incredibly shitty planet for the profit of the ISA.  They have an excuse.  Even if the humans were beating the shit out of the bugs and had all that war propaganda, it was justified."
    Actually, the humans are the Third Reich, and the bugs are the Jews.  Give it to the Americans to fuck up a great book.
    "
    Paul Verhoeven is Dutch.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By jakob187
    HandsomeDead said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "
    Paul Verhoeven is Dutch."
    Right, and Columbia Tristar is not...and neither is the main audience that this movie was geared to bring into the theatre.  =  /

Luckily, the few of us that have some level of reasonable intelligence saw it for other reasons...like the fact that it was a killer movie that just happened to not be as worthwhile as the book.
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By HandsomeDead
    jakob187 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "
    Paul Verhoeven is Dutch."
    Right, and Columbia Tristar is not...and neither is the main audience that this movie was geared to bring into the theatre.  =  /
    "
    Well, no, but he is the director and so had the creative control on the project. That being said, he never even read the book.
    bluestudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By bluestudy
    jakob187 said:
    "Diamond said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "
    How'd you come up with that theory? doesn't the fact that the bugs fight at all completly destroy that as a possiblility? and in all the essays or reviews i've read of this book your the first person i've ever heard comment on the bugs representing jews.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    HandsomeDead said:
    "Well, no, but he is the director and so had the creative control on the project. That being said, he never even read the book."
    Never FINISHED reading the book.  Research, sir.

bluestudy said:
    "How'd you come up with that theory? doesn't the fact that the bugs fight at all completly destroy that as a possiblility? and in all the essays or reviews i've read of this book your the first person i've ever heard comment on the bugs representing jews."
    Robert Heinlein has always been vocal about this fact, and even said so on the 2-disc special edition of Starship Troopers on DVD.  Otherwise, the information is out there.  They are more representative of the victims of fascism than anything else, but he has personally compared them to the Jews in the fact that the humans are slaughtering them for no reason other than the bugs defending themselves against the fascist human race.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheMustacheHero

If you want a game that lets you see both sides of the story go play Halo 2.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By TwoOneFive

because they dress like darth vader. we all know deep down inside vader was a good guy, but we needed luke to kick his ass first. 

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By PureRok

Thanks for the spoiler in your title. Now the game is ruined for me when I manage to get it.

bluestudy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bluestudy
    jakob187 said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "Well, no, but he is the director and so had the creative control on the project. That being said, he never even read the book."
    Never FINISHED reading the book.  Research, sir.

bluestudy said:
    "How'd you come up with that theory? doesn't the fact that the bugs fight at all completly destroy that as a possiblility? and in all the essays or reviews i've read of this book your the first person i've ever heard comment on the bugs representing jews."
    Robert Heinlein has always been vocal about this fact, and even said so on the 2-disc special edition of Starship Troopers on DVD.  Otherwise, the information is out there.  They are more representative of the victims of fascism than anything else, but he has personally compared them to the Jews in the fact that the humans are slaughtering them for no reason other than the bugs defending themselves against the fascist human race.
    "
    You may very well be right sir. but if that is the case then that has to be the very worst use of representation i've ever heard of. how the hell is anyone suposed to get it when he uses bugs that attack people to represent  jews. if the jews shared charecteristics of bugs i too would have rooted for the germans. however my post is becoming too (seemingly) racist and its not even the right forum for it. but i thank you for the info.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By get2sammyb

@ PureRok.... There's no spoiler here, this is all based on common knowledge (you know the objective is to kill Helghast right?) and stuff that can be read on Killzone.com.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JudgeDread

i thought it was the other way round. Heinlen originally wrote this book as a defence of his political standpoint, the book being militaristic and more positive towards military power while veerhouven and the scriptwriter adapted the script towards a more subtle ironisation & critisism of american imperialism, although the movie is portrayed as almost part of the "worlds" propaganda,  the pointers to who are the real bad guys are quite obvious in the movie.  Especially if you view it with a post 9/11 viewpoint.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#35  Edited By vigorousjammer

lol, Purerok... Killzone 2 isn't ruined for you if you know the storyline...
    even if somebody told you the ending... the real meat of the game is the shooting, the graphics, and the multiplayer...

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive
    PureRok said:
    "Thanks for the spoiler in your title. Now the game is ruined for me when I manage to get it."
    that is absolutely not a spoiler, really. there is never a point at which you go, omg they are the good guys, just the whole time you think, okay it feels wierd that we're the ones invading their planet. 
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PureRok
    TwoOneFive said:
    "PureRok said:
    "Thanks for the spoiler in your title. Now the game is ruined for me when I manage to get it."
    that is absolutely not a spoiler, really. there is never a point at which you go, omg they are the good guys, just the whole time you think, okay it feels wierd that we're the ones invading their planet. 
    "
    It is too a spoiler. I believe I decide what is a spoiler for myself. If you played the first game you would also think the Helghast are the bad guys. I mean, they were invading the planet of the protagonist. Why does it feel weird that now you're invading theirs after fighting them off? Obviously, you never played the first game.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By LiquidPrince

You hate them because they tried to invade your planet in the first one.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Al3xand3r
    PureRok said:
    "TwoOneFive said:
    "PureRok said:
    "
    It is too a spoiler. I believe I decide what is a spoiler for myself. If you played the first game you would also think the Helghast are the bad guys. I mean, they were invading the planet of the protagonist. Why does it feel weird that now you're invading theirs after fighting them off? Obviously, you never played the first game."
    How is it a spoiler when he clearly says that information is not even in the game and he had to go elsewhere to find it all out? So, he didn't spoil the game, he spoiled a google search or something...
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By get2sammyb
    LiquidPrince said:
    "You hate them because they tried to invade your planet in the first one."
    Because the ISA stole Vekta from them. They only tried to claim what is rightfully theirs.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#41  Edited By LordAndrew

It's not spoiling anything. You will never learn this by playing through the game.

Avatar image for atomic_tangerine
    Atomic_Tangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Atomic_Tangerine

Dude, the Helghast in the game are totally fascists.  They are bad dudes.  The ISA wants to kill them for money, and they have serious human rights issues.  They are both jerks.  That's what I got out of it at least, that neither side was really the good guys, that they are both just doing it for personal gain.

Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Zatoichi_Sanjuro

Killzone 3: Helghan Insurgency

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#44  Edited By Skald

Last game I heard of that tried to give you that level of perspective was Haze. And who really wants another Haze?

Matt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Matt_
    Guardian said:
    "Coltonio7 said:
    "They started it."
    Yup.
    "

agreed.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By toowalrus

...Glorious technical feats?

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By get2sammyb
    TooWalrus said:
    "...Glorious technical feats?"
    Oh don't start that one.

The game is glorious whether you don't like the game, genre, or think something else is better. I don't see how anyone can deny this game is technically impressive. Whatever. I'm glad you bumped the thread just to remind us you don't think it looks very good.

EDIT: I apologise. You didn't bump it. But my point still stands.
    vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48  Edited By vidiot

I agree. I've been trying to hunt down the plot for this game and was somewhat impressed. The narrative failings of Killzone 2 are quite phenomenal, and it's only going to get worse over time. Don't get me wrong, Killzone 2's graphical fidelity is second to none right now. Shooting people is a ton of fun. But like Doom 3, once other games start catching up even the most hardcore of fans will have to acknowledge the giant cracks in this single player campaign.

Killzone 2 is not going to age nicely.

My annoyance of Killzone 2 was the lack of any characterization regarding...everyone...
    It took a loading screen to tell me that Garza was a known for his jokes, I didn't think a couple lines about someones mother qualified as an actual joke. There was also another guy on the team with a bandanna, his defining character quality was that he swore.

And then there was Rico....The Jar Jar Binks of angry Space Marines.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Ket87

Wow that makes so much more sense, the opening speech by Visari and the ending gave me kind of lost as to what was going on. Especially the intro vid, Visari says about the war they (as in the ISA) started. I was like didn't they invade those guys in the last game? The last 5 minutes really made me want the game to have a better story because it just seemed out of place, now I know Killzone could have had an epic story but they didn't use it. The biggest complaint any critic had about the game was the weak single player campaign story and looking at the stuff on the web they could have blown people away with it.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mordukai
    @get2sammyb: you are not alone brother, I felt the same way when I played through Killzone 2. They had so many chances for some really good nerattive and plot twists but they dropped the ball on that one. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.