Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Killzone 3

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Feb 22, 2011

Killzone 3 continues the story of the invasion of the planet Helghan by the oppressive forces of the merciless Interplanetary Strategic Alliance. The game also features an improved multiplayer progression system and refined classes.

How do you like the feel of the aiming this time around?

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By AuthenticM

I think Guerrila has struck the perfect balance between the weighty feel of Killzone 2 and the snappy aim of standard shooters like Bad Company and Modern Warfare. I've spoken to some KZ2 purists who are all up in arms about the change, but I think it's the best. It's also possible to aim by holding L1 this time around, unlike the R3 toggle of KZ2. 

Thoughts?

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

I dislike the acceleration of the reticle, feel like i over aim sometimes.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By imsh_pl
    @AuthenticM: I liked KZ2's feel more.

Also, it was possible to aim with L1 in Kilzzone 2.
    AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By AuthenticM
    @imsh_pl said:
    " Also, it was possible to aim with L1 in Kilzzone 2. "
    Really? I played a lot of KZ2 and I don't remember this. Granted, it was over 2 years ago. Was it toggle or hold? There is probably a reason for me not changing the controls.
    Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Cloudenvy

I think it feels fantastic. 

I didn't have anything against the aiming in Killzone 2 either though.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By LordXavierBritish

I've actually never played a Killzone game before now, but this shit feels nice.

There's like a methodical feel to the shooting, it's fucking refreshing.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By imsh_pl
    @AuthenticM: I think you had a bunch of preset layouts. You were also able to set it to hold or toggle, which was great for me since I was used to the CoD layout beforehand.

To be honest, I'm incredibly upset about the beta. They removed almost everything I liked about Killzone 2, including the best idea ever: spawn points created by tactitians. You were able to instantly get into the action and didn't have to travel half through the map only to get shot by a sniper. Also the initital weapons for almost every class suck (the default ISA rifle from KZ2 is prolly my favourite weapon of all time).

I'll propably end up buying KZ3 anyway, but I hope at least the maps will be as fantastic as in KZ2.
    belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By belaraphon

character weight is something i like to see in games. i feel like it rewards a slower paced play style.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Andorski

The controls feel less "weighty" and more "floaty" to me, like the BFBC games.  I really liked the weighty feel and had no problems aiming in KZ2, so I'm slightly unhappy with the changes made in KZ3.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akrid

They did the best compromise possible. I'm a really big KZ2 fan and I'm pretty pleased with the controls. Now the actual gameplay changes... I'll need to wait and see how the community breaks the game and see if I'm O.K. with it.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Twitchey
    @LordXavierBritish:  Same here
    Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By Hizang

I couldn't get into it, having played so much Call of Duty anything diffrent is alien to me
    SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SSully
    @imsh_pl said:
    " @AuthenticM: I think you had a bunch of preset layouts. You were also able to set it to hold or toggle, which was great for me since I was used to the CoD layout beforehand.  To be honest, I'm incredibly upset about the beta. They removed almost everything I liked about Killzone 2, including the best idea ever: spawn points created by tactitians. You were able to instantly get into the action and didn't have to travel half through the map only to get shot by a sniper. Also the initital weapons for almost every class suck (the default ISA rifle from KZ2 is prolly my favourite weapon of all time).  I'll propably end up buying KZ3 anyway, but I hope at least the maps will be as fantastic as in KZ2. "
    They still have preset layouts in the controls section in options. There is also an advanced section where you can put it on toggle or not to aim and many other parts.  

Also the spawn point by tacticians was fun for awhile in KZ2, but by the time the game evolved they just made cluster fuck situations on every map. A tactician from each team would throw a spawn point right by an objective and then it would just be spawn, unload blindly because you cant see a damn thing through all the smoke and grenade explosions, die, and then respawn again. It was tiring and stupid. Now they have specific positions where tacticians can activate field spawn points, which is much more balanced. 

On topic I miss the heavy feel of Killzone 2, but i cannot complain about the controls in kz3. They are tight, and easy to use. The heavy controls in KZ2 were great and different, but i understand why they changed them.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Afroman269

I love it, I may actually consider playing more multiplayer now.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By X19

I have played a lot of KZ2 and KZ3 is a real step up. 

There are also loads of options to set the controls up the way you want. I prefer to set it up like COD controls as that's what i'm used to.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

Thought it was fine before and think its even better now. 
    xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx
    @Bloodgraiv3:
    This 

The problem imo is c4, and some abilities need to be handled, prob wont happen but that c4 almost ruins it for me
    Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Discorsi

It felt very familiar to most shooters released after cod4. Right away I was owning face. Although definitely more bfbc2 then anything else. Never played Kz2 btw

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Twitchey
    @xaLieNxGrEyx: I hate that shit. The worse part is the tactician class can not detect it.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By CL60

I don't mind it, wish I could play with something other than bots though, everytime I try to connect it says error.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

I hear the Move controls are amazing, anyone have any experience with it?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mordukai
    @Twitchey said:
    " @xaLieNxGrEyx: I hate that shit. The worse part is the tactician class can not detect it. "
    I hate that the tactician can't throw spawn grenade anymore but opt for capturing spawn flags. Takes a lot of tactics from that class. Now every moron can play that class and not reserved for those who really have the feel to be tacticians.  

other then that I think I am pretty pleased with the changes they made. We'll see how I like once people figure out how to abuse the classes. I just hope this time GG will be on top on cheater and Lag switch users. they were kinda crap in being on top of it last time around seeing how the number 2 player on the leaderbaords was caught cheating. 

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#24  Edited By korolev

The "weight" of the original controls is pretty much gone. Let's not beat around the bush here - I was playing KZ2 until fairly recently, so I remember what it felt like. The 'weight' is almost entirely gone. 

And I couldn't be happier. My problem with the original KZ2's controls wasn't necessarily the weight, but the sudden acceleration of the camera if you turned the stick to quickly. If you turned the stick too slowly, the camera would move like it was stuck in molasses. If you turned it faster to make it move, the camera would suddenly speed up and go all over the place. That aspect of the controls is gone - now, the camera moves at a constant speed, which, you know, makes sense, as you don't whip your head around like a goon in real life when you want to look to your right or left.  

KZ2 was a pretty good game. I liked it. But the controls really put me off. Now that the controls have been fixed, I'm almost certainly going to buy this one. 

skunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By skunk
    @SSully said:

They still have preset layouts in the controls section in options. There is also an advanced section where you can put it on toggle or not to aim and many other parts.   Also the spawn point by tacticians was fun for awhile in KZ2, but by the time the game evolved they just made cluster fuck situations on every map. A tactician from each team would throw a spawn point right by an objective and then it would just be spawn, unload blindly because you cant see a damn thing through all the smoke and grenade explosions, die, and then respawn again. It was tiring and stupid. Now they have specific positions where tacticians can activate field spawn points, which is much more balanced.   On topic I miss the heavy feel of Killzone 2, but i cannot complain about the controls in kz3. They are tight, and easy to use. The heavy controls in KZ2 were great and different, but i understand why they changed them. "
    Yeah, the way they re-did the Tactician Class is pimp now. It's like their own little battle for the bigger picture and no longer a giant clusterfuck of crazy shit going down in a 3 meter circle of death. I loved Tactician in KZ2, but it's waaaaay better in 3. 

as for the controls: 
    also agree here, I miss the heavy feel but im totally sold on the new controls. They still favour people that play more tactically than blindly running and gunning everywhere.
    twillfast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By twillfast

Hey guys, I downloaded the beta but totally missed playing it, so I have a question. 
    I've seen a video of a slide-to-cover kind of move. Is it in the MP game? I'm guessing, like in KZ2, there's still no cover, but that move would still be pretty cool to use, just to get out of situations or knock guys over or something.
    So, anyone seen it, anyone did it?

I'm looking forward to burning through some late evenings to achieve General rank!

memo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By memo

the character movement feels lighter than KZ2 but it still has weight and I am really liking it. It still has weight and it makes it stand out from other shooter IMO. Hope it sells well and a lot of ppl will play it.

teh_pwnzorer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By teh_pwnzorer
    @AuthenticM said:
    " I think Guerrila has struck the perfect balance between the weighty feel of Killzone 2 and the snappy aim of standard shooters like Bad Company and Modern Warfare. I've spoken to some KZ2 purists who are all up in arms about the change, but I think it's the best. It's also possible to aim by holding L1 this time around, unlike the R3 toggle of KZ2.  Thoughts? "
    Here's my crazy idea:  Pseudo-realistic shooters could have a delayed aim, in the following sense: you could have a reticule for where you intend to aim and another reticule (or the iron sight) where the gun is actually aiming. 
    shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By shadows_kill
    @LordXavierBritish said:
    " I've actually never played a Killzone game before now, but this shit feels nice.  There's like a methodical feel to the shooting, it's fucking refreshing. "
    I got a feeling you'd love Killzone 2's controls then. Also its probably down to $20 by now too!
    Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AuthenticM said:
    " I think Guerrila has struck the perfect balance between the weighty feel of Killzone 2 and the snappy aim of standard shooters like Bad Company and Modern Warfare. I've spoken to some KZ2 purists who are all up in arms about the change, but I think it's the best. It's also possible to aim by holding L1 this time around, unlike the R3 toggle of KZ2.  Thoughts? "
    I fucking hate having things mapped to R3 that aren't absolutely essential/make sense. Having to click R3 to sprint/aim is a pain because it cause the reticle to move and in a reactionary based game like KZ it's a total hassle.
    Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Feels almost exactly like Bad Company 2. I like it.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By spankingaddict

I think it improved from KZ2. Which i didn't find it to be that bad in the first place...

metalmoog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By metalmoog

I too am loving the new controls. Feels a lot snappier and more responsive to KZ2, but the guns still feel like they have weight to them. I definitely think they feel a lot like Battlefield now, which I think is a huge plus. Very happy with what I've seen so far of the multiplayer, having only been playing the one map. I've already pre-ordered this and am super excited for the campaign and all of the other online maps.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.