So what's with this game?

DaBazz72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DaBazz72

Is it just me or is this game just straight up worse than Killzone 2 and 3? The graphics are better obviously, but the actual game part seems inferior and some of the scripted moments in this game are just awkward. Don't really remember KZ2 and KZ3 having these problems... Also what the fuck did they do with the cover system? The previous games had a way better cover system that worked more smoothly and you could even lean to the left and right of cover something that seems absent in this game.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By l4wd0g

I hate all of the characters. There is nothing redeemable about them.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

No Caption Provided

mbdoeden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mbdoeden

Goddammit, Jerry.

But seriously, I've been having some fun with campaign but some of the dialogue is awful. Written by a 15 year old who watched too many war movies kind of awful. The characters are all boring stereotypes (with close to zero development) and the plot movements are forced at best.

So far the only redeeming qualities have been; the competent and entertaining multiplayer mode, and it's really fucking pretty.

Berserker976

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Berserker976

I'm loving this game, I honestly can't understand where all the hate is coming from.

Also, no one should be allowed to complain about the characters in this Killzone after the horror that was Rico. I mean come on people, nothing in SF is even close to that level.

Gameplay-wise I'd say this is miles ahead of the previous games. Especially because in most games I tend to use a single strategy even when there are many available, but I've found myself using pretty much all of the weapons, and all of the owl abilities very frequently. I think the owl in particular adds a ton to the game. Not to mention how open the levels are now gives you a good sense of freedom.

I'm not done with the singleplayer so I can't comment on the story, but so far it seems ok, it's holding my interest at least.

All in all I'd say this is my favorite Killzone game.

P.S. It helps that the game looks downright stunning, technically and artistically.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

been hearing a lot of bad reactions, and it's not even anything going along with Resistant Fall of Man. I've been watching some twitch stream and it's somewhat meh reactions from everyone, I honestly think the whole forest section looks wonderful even if it's like chapter 6 or something late.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's boring me to tears

DaBazz72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So yeah the cover system continues to be poor, am I the only person in here that remembers how cool it was in 2 and 3? There was a button dedicated to using cover and it was easily the best cover system in a FPS ever and it also made the game unique. I'm so goddamn disappointed with this game some of the missions are just dull and annoying.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Fredchuckdave

It just kind of seems worse than 2 on the whole, AI is extremely good in 2, melee is great, action is nonstop; everything I've seen in the new Killzone is sort of the antithesis of those, albeit I imagine that the AI is still better than Call of Duty's railshooter AI.

If you want a "launch vs launch" comparison Resistance 1 had a really good singleplayer campaign that continues to be fun to play.

notdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It feels more like a worse version of Syndicate than a Killzone game. 2 was fantastic. Absolutely nailed the atmosphere, the pacing, the action. I can't tell if Shadowfall is a step back, or something else entirely.

sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By sonicrift

Yeah, this is just not as good as KZ 2 or 3. I got lost a lot, and I'm stuck on that falling level right now. The multiplayer doesn't feel as good. I feel like instead of run/sprint, my character walks/runs. It feels slow, and reminds me a little bit of Perfect Dark Zero. I want to insist that I make that comparison only because of game speed, and not because they're both launch games.

The OWL was awesome. It really stung when they took it away. I want to use the OWL in a good game.

I'm hoping they make some changes to the multiplayer to make it feel a little more fun. A little speed increase would help, but I loved claiming ammo depots for me team and destroying others. That's gone.

cb1115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By cb1115

Something about it feels off to me. It looks amazing and the gunplay is good, but it feels pretty by the numbers so far. Killzone 2 had a certain spark about it that they haven't been able to replicate since.

Also, has anyone else experienced any stuttering in the single player? Just making sure my PS4 isn't about to catch fire or anything.

ttocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

Killzone 2 was the best in the series by far so it's going to be difficult for them to top that. With that said though, I think they are onto something with the type of game they created. The added color palette itself is a nice touch. One thing though - the guns don't feel as heavy as they did before. I kind of liked that.

cloudymusic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played a KZ game before, so I can't compare it to past entries, but I'm enjoying it quite a bit, especially the multiplayer. Maybe ignorance is bliss? I will definitely agree about the dialogue and scripted sequences being lame, though. I haven't liked any of the QTEs so far either.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like it as much as I like KillZone2, but that doesn't mean I hate it. It's good but if not for shiny new graphics I would be tired of it by now.

wallee321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game looks and sounds wonderful; I like the hard sci-fi setting, both the space station chapters were cool when you could just stop and look at them. The HUD / UI in this game is terrible everything is too small and hard to read. I've changed the gamma setting to 95 and still sometimes have trouble reading the second part of my ammo. The enemy AI is all that great, does the same things all game long; never any, "oh shit, I wasn't expecting that," moments. I like the owl, I've used it a lot. Ever since they mentioned the player character being short in the quick look, that has bothered me. When I read some of the different reviews and saw them mention the non-shooting mechanics being clumsy and under-cooked, I thought it couldn't be THAT bad, but I was wrong. In general that platforming jumping is bad and awkward, but nothing too terrible, until chapter 8. It took me about 40 minutes to finish that broken ass sequence; I was relieved once I finished it and saw a checkpoint, so I closed the game. I come back the next day and it makes me do the whole thing over again!?! Stupid checkpoint system, it only took me about 10 minutes, but still.

I'm almost done with chapter 9, so I'll finish the game, but this game absolutely doesn't grab me in any way, instead after getting killed I feel like I need to take a break from the game and go play something else like Resogun or NFS:Rivals.

I'm not sure after I beat the game I will try the multi-player to see if its worth keeping around, or if I should just trade it in towards getting BF4 Premium. I like objective based game matches over deathmatches, and I know that is what Killzone's main draw is, but BF4 also seems like it will scratch the same itch.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I try to stay positive, but it's really doing nothing for me. Just finished the space station mentioned in Jeff's review and it's not really exciting or as tactical as I was led to believe.

I'll probably stick to Battlefield for multiplayer so yeah... glad I got this one for free.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well Killzone 2 was better (SP and MP) than Killzone 3 so it wouldn't be a surprise. I haven't played the singleplayer yet but Shadow Fall's MP hasn't been fun imo. The maps are bad and I haven't really liked the weapons I've used.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The game looks and sounds wonderful; I like the hard sci-fi setting, both the space station chapters were cool when you could just stop and look at them. The HUD / UI in this game is terrible everything is too small and hard to read. I've changed the gamma setting to 95 and still sometimes have trouble reading the second part of my ammo. The enemy AI is all that great, does the same things all game long; never any, "oh shit, I wasn't expecting that," moments. I like the owl, I've used it a lot. Ever since they mentioned the player character being short in the quick look, that has bothered me. When I read some of the different reviews and saw them mention the non-shooting mechanics being clumsy and under-cooked, I thought it couldn't be THAT bad, but I was wrong. In general that platforming jumping is bad and awkward, but nothing too terrible, until chapter 8. It took me about 40 minutes to finish that broken ass sequence; I was relieved once I finished it and saw a checkpoint, so I closed the game. I come back the next day and it makes me do the whole thing over again!?! Stupid checkpoint system, it only took me about 10 minutes, but still.

God chapter 8 was the worst level I've played in a long time. I had this big article ready to post about it but it just made me look like I'm a whiny little cry baby and didn't want to post it. Both the freefall part and the part where you sneak past the drones is all bad.

Still overall I really am enjoying the game and its been moderately smooth sailing since chapter 8.

Avatar image for deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac
    deactivated-64cd222f5c6ac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the last third of the game was terrible. It felt like it was constantly putting me in "Secure this area" mission every room. The MP i tried a few matches but I constantly got pushed into the spawn area...so I stopped playing.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I did not like it. I couldn't wait to finish it, and rushed through the last few chapters. I thought it was a pretty poorly put together game. Yes it looks fantastic, but its a crap game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.