Killzone HD (1) on the ps3 and how it's breaking me.

#1 Posted by CByrne (179 posts) -

So, I was at one of those places where this was in a clearance bin and said, "why not?" If I do get PS4 I would want to play KZ so might as well pick play through the franchise. I was going to play this while listening to a charity podcast over the weekend.

Now, I think I had rented this when it came out on the PS2 probably in 04-05, but never finished it and don't really remember anything about it but the beach/boat scene. I'm not a terrible gamer or play that many games, but this kicked my butt. I don't know if the port is just atrocious or I need to never pick up a controller again.

My Issues:

1. Controls are crazy, R2 is grenade... (quicklook pointed this out)
  2. Fog of war is about 2 feet, I don't remember PS2 fog this much.
  3. Zoom is useless
  4. There is no accuracy. you can keep the cross hairs on a fixed point and maybe 1 round out of clip will hit that spot.
  5. Animations are painfully slow, switching weapons is a 4-5 second action that involves a lot of death.
  6. No check point system what so ever.
  7. Hitboxes are really odd like shooting the arm is more effective than head.
  8. Everyone can absorb lead non stop but you.
  9. NPC's are beyond useless

The fog of war one is the really frustrating, made me break a controller, issue. So there are parts where this guy with a grenade launcher sits out of your view just a slight fog outline. Sure you can rest your sights on his head and fire one shot at a time and not one will hit him and it takes about 12 hits to kill him. One well placed grenade kills you too. This sequence is about 10 minutes into that level as well. So, had to redo it all. This one section took me 51 minutes to beat... At this point I'm like 13 hours invested and I haven't even shut the system off since I don't know if it is saving or not. I have no idea how far I am in. I don't even care about the story because the voice acting is annoying and just bad at this point. I had a lady friend of mine over on Sunday while we were winding down I decided to add some time into this. She was frightened by my anger and frustration as well I almost hit her with a six axis. She put pillows between us in the bed that night...

So, here I am it's a Wednesday at 4 AM and slightly drunk because I needed to drink in order to play this and I have to leave for work in a couple of hours.

Am I the only one that thinks this or tried to play this through?

Why am I forcing the RAGE on myself to beat this game? Guys, I need help...

#2 Edited by TopSteer (634 posts) -

What's crazy about the grenades being on R2? I haven't played Killzone 1 since it came out on PS2. I remember liking it but I probably won't try to play the hd version for the reasons you mention, I doubt it holds up.

#3 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Killzone 1 was not a great game on the PS2 and it's not on the PS3. I played through it on the PS2 a year or so after the PS3 came out.(It was cheap)

I had the same problem. The checkpoint system is just a by-product of age though. It's a 6/10 at best. Don't torture yourself and go straight to Killzone 2 instead.

#4 Posted by Korolev (1694 posts) -

Killzone 1 was a product of over-ambition and is generally regarded as a pretty dismal game by those who played it. I honestly would not bother.

#5 Edited by Jeust (10451 posts) -

@korolev said:

Killzone 1 was a product of over-ambition and is generally regarded as a pretty dismal game by those who played it. I honestly would not bother.

Pretty much! I hated it. The controls were terrible, the grayish and brownish graphics were underwhelming and there scenarios were restritive for the most part.

#6 Posted by Stete (722 posts) -

I bought it for the PS2 for £5 a long time ago, like less than a year it came out. It wasn't even worth that much, game looked amazing for a PS2 title but man the game played like garbage. Quite surprised that the follow up was really good. So ye, Killzone 1 was pretty much nothing more than a proof of concept rather than an actual game.

Speaking of which, do you remember the crazy hype when those first screenshots were released and everybody dubbed it the Halo-killer? Man talking about not even remotely living up to the hype.

#7 Edited by Torrim (327 posts) -

There's more deliberate motion in almost all of the Killzone games. The reloading and aiming mechanics have a certain weight to them that separates the series from Halo and Call of Duty.

Killzone wasn't the best of games when it came out but it certainly had potential. Luckly, I felt it was realized in Killzone 2. Either drop playing a game you don't care for and move on or tough through it for achievements, I guess, because the sequels are much better games.

Whether they are great, though, is more of a matter of personal taste. I loved Killzone 2's campaign more than Killzone 3, but then again Killzone 3 still holds the record for the most I've played a online FPS multiplayer.

#8 Edited by PolygonSlayer (419 posts) -

Killzone 1 was just about alright as far as I remember. It had its fair share of issues, but I do seem to remember liking at least parts of it back in the day :)

#9 Posted by RetroMetal (188 posts) -

"Halo Killer"!

lol

#10 Posted by BlackLagoon (1371 posts) -

I played through it 4 times to get the platinum trophy, and I'm not a particularly great FPS player. (Though I did admittedly use the one hit kill cheat code when playing on hard.)

Anyway, I'm curious, do you know where you are in the story? Oh, and it does save your progress, but only between levels.

#11 Posted by Quarters (1624 posts) -

The HD remaster of Killzone is leaps and bounds better than the PS2 version, primarily due to framerate. And it has its issues(I too used the one hit kill code while playing), but I actually really enjoy the game. I like how crazy weighty all the gun stuff is.

#12 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (724 posts) -

So we're just glossing over the bit where the OP nearly beat his girlfriend with a controller because of a video game? Cool...

#13 Posted by believer258 (11563 posts) -

You should probably have skipped the first game and jumped straight to the second.

#14 Posted by Aetheldod (3495 posts) -

Man you suck .... its not a hard game by any means , I personally did like it a lot and knew that it had limitations due to the hardware , stop being a sissy and man/woman up and beat it >:(

#15 Edited by me3639 (1711 posts) -

I played through it 4 times to get the platinum trophy, and I'm not a particularly great FPS player. (Though I did admittedly use the one hit kill cheat code when playing on hard.)

Anyway, I'm curious, do you know where you are in the story? Oh, and it does save your progress, but only between levels.

I did too. I found switching perspective was pretty ambitious for the day. Also, maybe it was just me, but i always felt there was a sort of hidden RPG system under the hood when it came to weapons, health and abilities for each character. After playing really wish more games would integrate that type of design more often. Almost like Mass Effect(if i could switch between players), or currently like GTA. An interesting sci fi world that has yet to be fully realized from a writing perspective.

#16 Posted by GERALTITUDE (2859 posts) -

This sounds exactly as I expected.

#17 Edited by CByrne (179 posts) -

@dekkadekkadekka said:

So we're just glossing over the bit where the OP nearly beat his girlfriend with a controller because of a video game? Cool...

I guess my wording is poor. I would not do such a thing. I generally fling the ps3 controller straight up when I'm mad throw my arms out and it lands on the couch next to me. In this case she was leaning on me on her tablet, so I had to try to smack the controller in mid flight from landing on her. The controller hit the floor pretty hard and it hasn't turned on again. I'll demonstrate in this HD render here.

@blacklagoon said:

I'm not even doing it for trophies, just it's wasteful to not beat a game. Umm, the only thing I remember was the helgast guy on the space ship was all "I'm going to take them out myself if I have, do your job. *typical drama sentence here*." Thanks for the save info, should probably turn the PS3 off. the TV area is noticeably warmer.
@aetheldod said:

Man you suck .... its not a hard game by any means , I personally did like it a lot and knew that it had limitations due to the hardware , stop being a sissy and man/woman up and beat it >:(

I'm really not that bad at games, granted I generally play on the PC, but this thing has kicked my ass. Next I'm going to start blaming my tv and what not, lol.
I think I'm going to grab a six pack of fat tire and knock this out tonight. I have to, I need too. I guess I'm a masochist.

#18 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4137 posts) -

#19 Edited by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

Killzone 1 was clunky and not that fun to play when it released, I'm not surprised that playing it ten years later isn't very enjoyable for you.

#20 Edited by CByrne (179 posts) -

@blu3v3nom07: I watched that and it doesn't even scratch the surface on displaying how this game is.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.