No Force Flailing in 2011, As Microsoft Delays Kinect Star Wars

Posted by patrickklepek (4129 posts) -

"Lightsaber on!" jokes aside, Kinect Star Wars should be really cool. The Star Wars universe was friggin' made for a near-magical technology like Kinect, making the lukewarm impressions from E3 and Gamescom all the more disheartening.

It appears Microsoft and Terminal Reality have come to realize the game could use some more work, too, telling OXM (and then confirmed by me) that Kinect Star Wars will no longer be released this year.

"Microsoft and LucasArts have elected to move the launch of Kinect Star Wars beyond holiday 2011 to ensure the full potential of this title is realized," said the company in a statement. "We will communicate additional timing information at a later date."

Perhaps more distressing, the R2D2-themed Xbox 360 has also been delayed.

[insert Star Wars joke about a million voices dying out or something]

Staff
#1 Posted by patrickklepek (4129 posts) -

"Lightsaber on!" jokes aside, Kinect Star Wars should be really cool. The Star Wars universe was friggin' made for a near-magical technology like Kinect, making the lukewarm impressions from E3 and Gamescom all the more disheartening.

It appears Microsoft and Terminal Reality have come to realize the game could use some more work, too, telling OXM (and then confirmed by me) that Kinect Star Wars will no longer be released this year.

"Microsoft and LucasArts have elected to move the launch of Kinect Star Wars beyond holiday 2011 to ensure the full potential of this title is realized," said the company in a statement. "We will communicate additional timing information at a later date."

Perhaps more distressing, the R2D2-themed Xbox 360 has also been delayed.

Staff
#2 Edited by Nyro (79 posts) -

I'm afraid, in your anger you delayed her. 
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. 

#3 Posted by aztecjester (27 posts) -

That sucks...

#4 Posted by Bollard (5453 posts) -
@Nyro said:
NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Well done sir.
#5 Posted by Etaber (160 posts) -

LIGHTSABER ON!

#6 Posted by Jeffk38uk (715 posts) -

Only a good thing really if they are delaying it to make it better. We'll have to see if it justifies it's delay next year.

#7 Posted by drowsap (681 posts) -

@Nyro said:

I'm afraid, in your anger you delayed her. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

you win the internet today lol

#8 Posted by bkbroiler (1621 posts) -

How many game reporters died to bring us this information?

#9 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2907 posts) -

We all know this is going to be a terrible mess or never come out, right? Like that Harry Potter Kinect thing?

#10 Posted by FuzMel (33 posts) -

Ooooh the Jedi are gonna feel this one...

#11 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2093 posts) -

This Christmas, Darth Vader will not feel your presents...

#12 Posted by Vexxan (4620 posts) -

Lightsaber...off?

#13 Posted by b33 (413 posts) -
@Vegsen said:

Lightsaber...off?

Lightsaber ON!
#14 Posted by RE_Player1 (7558 posts) -

So other than Dance Central 2 what games are coming for Kinect this year?

#15 Posted by JeanLuc (3579 posts) -

I came to this article hoping that the comments would be filled with Star Wars jokes. You did not disappoint me giant bomb community.

#16 Posted by Phatmac (5725 posts) -

LIGHTSABER OFF! 

#17 Posted by TurboMan (7515 posts) -
#18 Posted by drumpsycho89 (505 posts) -

cuz its totaly still broken maybe??? E3 demo was baaaad man!

#19 Posted by JamesKond (232 posts) -

Game didn't look finished, so good on them.

#20 Posted by endaround (2144 posts) -

@RE_Player92: Gunstringer featuring faux reviews by Alex Navarro!

#21 Posted by Kyodra (139 posts) -

I felt a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced...

No wait, maybe more like two or three voices.

#22 Posted by Keeng (999 posts) -
@TurboMan said:
LOL
#23 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

@Etaber said:

LIGHTSABER ON!

@Vegsen said:

Lightsaber...off?

@b33 said:

Lightsaber ON!

@Phatmac said:

LIGHTSABER OFF!

Keep your voices down! My lightsaber's over here spazzing out and now my dog won't stop barking at it!

#24 Posted by Yanngc33 (4496 posts) -

This deserves a Vador force choke

#25 Posted by metalsnakezero (2294 posts) -

Delaying this title isn't really going to make it any better.

#26 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

The only R2-D2 related hardware I want is that projector somebody built into the model of a to scale R2-D2.

#27 Posted by RTSlord (1200 posts) -

"Delay ON"

#28 Posted by Roger778 (957 posts) -

Well, I don't own a Kinect, so it doesn't affect me, but I'm still disappointed it's not coming out this fall. 

My suggestion to LucasArts, is to redesign the game, make it with standard X-Box controls, and also allow an optional Kinect Interface.  I believe that would really be more accesible to gamers.
#29 Posted by President_Barackbar (3455 posts) -

I would, if I actually thought anyone but little kids cared about the game.
#30 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (358 posts) -

If they take this time to make it the first GOOD game for kinect that let's you move around on not-rails then it's game of the year...but all they're doing is adding voice commands... 

LIGHTSABAH ON!

#31 Posted by Evilsbane (4598 posts) -

@Nyro said:

I'm afraid, in your anger you delayed her. NNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Well for such a short article (Of which the ending joke was funny) the first comment is a hum dinger as well bravo good sir, Bravo.

#32 Posted by Akyho (1602 posts) -

When the person demoing the game who would have spent a few hours makeing sure it dosnt screw up. makes all the exact same mistakes (AT Tank lack lusterly drops when moveing it) as first time demoers getting to try it out. Then there is some issues....aside from it not looking at all fun with floaty and slow responses.

#33 Posted by White (1341 posts) -
@MrKlorox said:

@Etaber said:

LIGHTSABER ON!

@Vegsen said:

Lightsaber...off?

@b33 said:

Lightsaber ON!

@Phatmac said:

LIGHTSABER OFF!

Keep your voices down! My lightsaber's over here spazzing out and now my dog won't stop barking at it!

"Set phasers to kill!"

Wait...
#34 Posted by vinsanityv22 (1064 posts) -

Meh. It'll suck no matter how long they work on it. Namely because it doesn't seem designed around the Kinect; they're just shoehorning actions people supposedly want to do onto the damn device. Who wants to have no lightsaber in their hands but then swing around like a moron pretending it's there? The only way a Kinect Star Wars could work is if it was all about force pushing people around. But did they ever once consider making a game about a Jedi who DOESN'T use a lightsaber? Nope. They don't know what they're doing.

The R2 Xbox was nice though. But I'd only get it if I didn't have to get it with an Kinect, game or any of that stuff. Have to be watching trade-ins closely to nab one of those babies. Whenever it comes out.

#35 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -

I'm glad to see there going to spend more time working on it. What I've seen of that game does not look appealing at all. Maybe, they'll make it a bit more than a cliche hack n' slash.

#36 Posted by Summoboomo (142 posts) -
@White said:
@MrKlorox said:

@Etaber said:

LIGHTSABER ON!

@Vegsen said:

Lightsaber...off?

@b33 said:

Lightsaber ON!

@Phatmac said:

LIGHTSABER OFF!

"Set phasers to kill!" ..  Wait...
You broke it, Jim.
#37 Edited by MeatSim (10835 posts) -

The game continues to look awful but that R2D2 360 still looks sick.

#38 Posted by Heartagram (1182 posts) -

@drowsap said:

@Nyro said:

you win the internet today lol

#39 Posted by avengerdalton (8 posts) -

@Meatsim: Agreed.

I'm actually glad it's delayed so I have more time to save up for the console bundle.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.