They found a way to make lightsabers uncool

#1 Posted by Lydian_Sel (2501 posts) -

Couldn't help but think this as I saw the demo at the press conference. It seemed as if there was significant delay between the action and animation, not to mention odd synchronisation issues between the character's motions and how they affected enemies. Overall I thought it looked absolutely terrible, but then again I was severely distracted by the dumb grin on the kid demoing the game.

Anybody think it was good? I'd love to hear why.

#2 Posted by QKT (251 posts) -

i though it was a pile of crap. jaunty, and sluggish. 

play fighting with your friend would be more fun.

#3 Posted by guiseppe (2842 posts) -

Looked terrible indeed. And incredibly boring as well. Also, if I'm going to pretend that I have a lightsaber in my hand, I want to hold something.

#4 Posted by WoodenPlatypus (1356 posts) -
@QKT said:
i though it was a pile of crap. jaunty, and sluggish.  play fighting with your friend would be more fun.

This.
#5 Posted by LostRebel (111 posts) -

Got a video? I have to see this.

#6 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Force Unleashed already did this.  Any game where a lightsaber isn't a 1-hit kill on a stormtrooper is garbage. 
#7 Posted by John_Lawlz (110 posts) -

My response after viewing: THIS HOW YOU DO ME STAR WARS?!!?

#8 Posted by N7 (3667 posts) -

Who the fuck want to play!?

#9 Posted by sixghost (1679 posts) -

In a press conference full of janky-ass looking Kinect games, this took pole position as the shittiest of the bunch.

Swipe arm to float over to enemy Too Human style.

#10 Posted by CheapPoison (742 posts) -

A NEW way..

#11 Posted by Alexander (1724 posts) -

"Lightsaber on!"

#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I don't think we can necessarily take that presentation as being representative of the final product, but the thing I did notice was that the guy doing the demo seemed to be making slow, sweeping motions so that he wasn't moving too fast for the Kinect. If there was a delay in the gameplay then it certainly wouldn't be the only Kinect game shown with that problem, which is a little worrying.

Moderator Online
#13 Posted by Vexxan (4614 posts) -

It looks really bad and "LIGHTSABER ON" was just horrible.

#14 Posted by KarateLincoln (53 posts) -

you should turn it on with a fistbump

#15 Posted by MisterChief (832 posts) -

I muted the stream during the Kinect segment.

#16 Posted by Redbullet685 (6085 posts) -
@Alexander said:
"Lightsaber on!"
That part was sooo stupid.
#17 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

I have a feeling it's going to be very repetitive.

#18 Posted by Twiggy199 (508 posts) -

dude was just swinging his arms jumping and leaning, dumb ass game.... 

@LostRebel
: watch the Microsoft press conference don't be lazy.

#19 Posted by aidros (246 posts) -

very janky. disappointed. Kinect HAS to do better or its gonna sink!

#20 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -

Kinect shot first.

#21 Posted by KaosAngel (13764 posts) -

LIGHTSABER ON

#22 Posted by PrivateIronTFU (3874 posts) -

My favorite part was the HALF-SECOND LAG!

#23 Posted by TheWyotee93 (180 posts) -

I always cringe whenever I see a motion control demo not work properly and having to struggle with the controls. It was so painful to watch the "demoer" try to lift that tank thing with the force
#24 Posted by Kovie (206 posts) -
@YoungFrey said:
Force Unleashed already did this.  Any game where a lightsaber isn't a 1-hit kill on a stormtrooper is garbage. 
I agree with this completely.
#25 Posted by GuyIncognito (445 posts) -
@TheWyotee93 said:
I always cringe whenever I see a motion control demo not work properly and having to struggle with the controls. It was so painful to watch the "demoer" try to lift that tank thing with the force
I'm excited about the motion control stuff.  It's usually unintentionally hilarious.  I'm watching the Kinect conference right now.
#26 Edited by GoofyGoober (933 posts) -

Game looked awful, son.

#27 Posted by ImperiousRix (2963 posts) -

Yep.  I thought it was funniest when he attempted to pick up the Separatist tank, and then proceeded to drop it.  Then had to clumsily pick it up again and throw aside.  This was one of the bigger disappointments simply because, although I didn't expect the game to be uber impressive, I at least expected it to be just a neat little side show to be able to wield a lightsaber. 

My complete thoughts on all the Kinect nonsense are summed up in this video. 

#28 Posted by LiquidPrince (16175 posts) -

I repeat "ugh... Kinect."

#29 Posted by Carnin (40 posts) -

you have found a way to make light saber uncool

#30 Posted by Zereta (1370 posts) -

I;ve got a friend who was at E3 and played with this. He said the press conference demo really misrepresented the game. The demo he played, while it was the same demo, was much more responsive and felt kinda fun. Told me to watch out for it.

#31 Posted by S0ndor (2716 posts) -
@Zereta said:
I;ve got a friend who was at E3 and played with this. He said the press conference demo really misrepresented the game. The demo he played, while it was the same demo, was much more responsive and felt kinda fun. Told me to watch out for it.
I'm guessing he played it for a couple of minutes. Imagine wildly flailing about for hours and hours, all the while never having any control over your character's movements.
#32 Posted by Zereta (1370 posts) -
@S0ndor said:
@Zereta said:
I'm guessing he played it for a couple of minutes. Imagine wildly flailing about for hours and hours, all the while never having any control over your character's movements.
Definitely something he mentioned. He said it was fun for the 7 minutes + he had with it but can't imagine doing it for like 6 hours of gameplay.  

Fuck, if they make us do that for 6 hours, shit.
#33 Posted by lawlerballer (204 posts) -

lightsaber on

#34 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'm surprised that nobody has brought up the fact that press conference demos are never interactive. They tape that shit beforehand and then have somebody mimic the movements. If it looks janky, then blame the guy trying to sync up to the video.

#35 Posted by Crash_Happy (737 posts) -

I'm sure that at some point someone got all excited about developing a star wars game for kinect because it would allow you to actually wield a light saber, forgetting that anyone into that would likely want to actually hold something.

To be fair you apparently don't have to say 'lightsaber on'.

#36 Posted by fox01313 (5089 posts) -

I think that the Star Wars universe would be much more entertaining with shouting 'lightsaber on' to get it to work,  especially if anyone can say it to turn them on (ie. some space advertisment asking people if they are tired of keeping their lightsaber on their belt & have the damn thing go off slicing through anything nearby, someone asking the jedi if they have their lightsaber nearby & they say it resulting in it cutting a hole in the ship,  ect.). I'd get back into enjoying Star Wars at that moment.

#37 Edited by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -

Didn't millions of geeks make lightsabers uncool 30 years ago? haha 

EDIT: And yeah, that demo looked like horseshit.

#38 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

The Kinect SW game looks terrible.

But lightsabers have been made uncool by any game that uses them as nothing but glowsticks. If you're going to use lightsabers, you need to do them properly. The Jedi Knight games were able to have one hit kills with lightsabers and there was no problem with the difficulty.

#39 Posted by MideonNViscera (2252 posts) -
@fox01313 said:
I think that the Star Wars universe would be much more entertaining with shouting 'lightsaber on' to get it to work,  especially if anyone can say it to turn them on (ie. some space advertisment asking people if they are tired of keeping their lightsaber on their belt & have the damn thing go off slicing through anything nearby, someone asking the jedi if they have their lightsaber nearby & they say it resulting in it cutting a hole in the ship,  ect.). I'd get back into enjoying Star Wars at that moment.
hahahaha That would rock.
#40 Posted by itspizza (446 posts) -

Idk if anyone else noticed how lame it was that it took place on Bespin, but during the prequel era. All that star wars has going for it now is references to the original trilogy. And I like star wars.

#41 Posted by zudthespud (3284 posts) -

If they had managed to get the star wars kid for that demo it would have been perfect. I guess he doesn't look like the star wars kid now...

Now I sit and think about it, Kessler looks a bit like the star wars kid. When this game comes out they should make him do a quick look.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.