Finally, devs are doing Kinect + Controllers!

#1 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

I'm reading a preview of this game called Wipeout: In the Zone, but what caught my attention was the fact that while one person is playing through their course, up to 3 other players can take controllers and fly little planes around to try to shoot the Kinect-ing player. 
 
Definitely taking steps in the right direction. All we need is a game that has Kinect on the side and the controller as the main input! Also, Forza 4 is supposed to have head tracking and there's that cool little car-viewing feature where you can walk around the car and check out it's engine, interior, features, etc. 
 
I'm just waiting for some super awesome VR type game where you're actually selecting options from a HUD on the fly, like a mech game or flight combat game. Steel Battalion... I'm looking at you. 
 
I'm not sure if this is something that is currently in Kinect games as of right now. I'm pretty sure this Wipeout game is the first to do it and I'm so glad it works well, according to the preview. It's over at IGN if you're interested: Wipeout: In the Zone

#2 Edited by dudeglove (7846 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

I'm just waiting for some super awesome VR type game where you're actually selecting options from a HUD on the fly, like a mech game or flight combat game. Steel Battalion... I'm looking at you.

The full controller for that thing was, umm.... overkill?

#3 Edited by xyzygy (9988 posts) -

@dudeglove: It definitely was but that was a part of it's charm I guess. And with Kinect you wouldn't need so many buttons as you can just use a HUD interface.

#4 Posted by Vodun (2370 posts) -
@xyzygy
Dude, can you imagine switching things on and off during combat using the Kinect hold-and-wait selection? It's much too imprecise and slow. Maybe some form of gesture based short-cuts but actual selections on the screen are a total hassle with the Kinect.
#5 Edited by dudeglove (7846 posts) -

@xyzygy said:

@dudeglove: It definitely was but that was a part of it's charm I guess. And with Kinect you wouldn't need so many buttons as you can just use a HUD interface. But what is up with that pic?

Like Vodun says, Kinect currently lacks the fidelity (I think that's the word) to actually pull off a Minority Report-esque interface. As cool as it sounds - and it really would be - we just aren't there yet :(

#6 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Wasn't the whole point of kinect is to be controller free?

#7 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -
@Mordukai said:
Wasn't the whole point of kinect is to be controller free?
Yes, for the "casual" crowd. "Hardcore" gamers want something more out of it and using it in succession with controllers sounds like the best way to go. There can still be controller-less games, I just don't see any reason why there also can't also be Kinect + Controller games.
#8 Posted by canucks23 (1087 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
@Mordukai said:
Wasn't the whole point of kinect is to be controller free?
Yes, for the "casual" crowd. "Hardcore" gamers want something more out of it and using it in succession with controllers sounds like the best way to go. There can still be controller-less games, I just don't see any reason why there also can't also be Kinect + Controller games.
As a "hardcore" gamer, I don't want kinect to have anything to do with games i play.
#9 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -
@canucks23 said:
@xyzygy said:
@Mordukai said:
Wasn't the whole point of kinect is to be controller free?
Yes, for the "casual" crowd. "Hardcore" gamers want something more out of it and using it in succession with controllers sounds like the best way to go. There can still be controller-less games, I just don't see any reason why there also can't also be Kinect + Controller games.
As a "hardcore" gamer, I don't want kinect to have anything to do with games i play.
Then don't buy a title with sleight Kinect support. There are still plenty of other games for you to play.  
 
I'm not saying for every single game to have Kinect support.
#10 Posted by Slaker117 (4842 posts) -

Glad someone's doing it. I don't really see how you would make any more full games using the thing alone. Still not convinced it was a good idea in the first place, but it could be used in some cool peripheral ways.

#11 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -
@xyzygy said:
@Mordukai said:
Wasn't the whole point of kinect is to be controller free?
Yes, for the "casual" crowd. "Hardcore" gamers want something more out of it and using it in succession with controllers sounds like the best way to go. There can still be controller-less games, I just don't see any reason why there also can't also be Kinect + Controller games.
But kinect is for "casual" gamers, or for casual gaming experience. The whole project was brought in order to capitalize on the market Nintendo tapped with their Wii. It just seems to me like the whole "hardcore" aspect is just lip service for hardcore gamers. Your "minority report" style of gaming experience sounds great on paper but until they find a cheap way to actually project the image without using expensive TV's and 3d glasses then I don't see kinect (or move for that matter) being more then a novelty item aimed at casual gamers.  
 
 
So Say We All? *winks*
#12 Posted by niamahai (1405 posts) -

ooooh you meant Wipeout the TV show with giant red balls not Wipeout the futuristic racer. 
 
Watch the message board rage when this becomes the new Just Dance.

#13 Posted by xyzygy (9988 posts) -
@Mordukai: *raises hand* So say we all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.