Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Freeing my Kinect

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

I've finally gotten around to setting up some PC hacks to free my Kinect from the shackles of everyday Xbox-life. Props to eroticfishcake for supplying me the link to a nice starting point for all of this. If anyone else is interested, here's that link:  http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page

In order to set this all up, you need to have some form of compiler. I happen to have Microsoft's Visual Studio since I've previously taken classes that required it. Most of the instructions give examples for Visual Studio, so it's probably the easiest program to use. All other programs and files--of which there are many--are available through links on the installation instructions page. I did the set up to use in Windows, which actually seems more complicated than the setup for other operating systems, but I wasn't about to go try and find my Ubuntu install disc. Anyway, the process involves a bit of DOS work, a lot of file downloading and copying various files, pointing programs to the downloaded files, then compiling everything and testing. It's not super difficult to figure out if you're into computers; it just takes some time to feel everything out. If you're not that type of person, you should probably stay away. I decided to make a couple of videos showing off the very basic tech-demo programs that are given to you after setting everything up. There are three tests, and I have very little idea what any of them are actually meant to do. Well OK, I do know what one of them does. 

(Pro-tip: The volume on these is low. You may need to crank it up a bit.)

Tests 1 & 2: 

Test 3:

There you have it. Those are just a few very basic tech-demoy tests, but I hope to take this further as I learn more about all of this stuff. There's a list of potential project ideas on the above-linked site that sound like all kinds of crazy. Things like: a virtual keyboard, 3D object scanning, 3D drum kit, a sign language interpreter, and all kinds of other crazy projects. Most of those may never be completed, but it's cool thinking about them. I'd bet that once Microsoft releases some official tools for this thing, people are going to go crazy. 

As little as I have at the moment, it still feels like an accomplishment. I'll be sure to write a "part two" to this if I ever am able to implement some truly awesome stuff. 

No Caption Provided
    <3 
    --JJWeatherman
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I've finally gotten around to setting up some PC hacks to free my Kinect from the shackles of everyday Xbox-life. Props to eroticfishcake for supplying me the link to a nice starting point for all of this. If anyone else is interested, here's that link:  http://openkinect.org/wiki/Main_Page

In order to set this all up, you need to have some form of compiler. I happen to have Microsoft's Visual Studio since I've previously taken classes that required it. Most of the instructions give examples for Visual Studio, so it's probably the easiest program to use. All other programs and files--of which there are many--are available through links on the installation instructions page. I did the set up to use in Windows, which actually seems more complicated than the setup for other operating systems, but I wasn't about to go try and find my Ubuntu install disc. Anyway, the process involves a bit of DOS work, a lot of file downloading and copying various files, pointing programs to the downloaded files, then compiling everything and testing. It's not super difficult to figure out if you're into computers; it just takes some time to feel everything out. If you're not that type of person, you should probably stay away. I decided to make a couple of videos showing off the very basic tech-demo programs that are given to you after setting everything up. There are three tests, and I have very little idea what any of them are actually meant to do. Well OK, I do know what one of them does. 

(Pro-tip: The volume on these is low. You may need to crank it up a bit.)

Tests 1 & 2: 

Test 3:

There you have it. Those are just a few very basic tech-demoy tests, but I hope to take this further as I learn more about all of this stuff. There's a list of potential project ideas on the above-linked site that sound like all kinds of crazy. Things like: a virtual keyboard, 3D object scanning, 3D drum kit, a sign language interpreter, and all kinds of other crazy projects. Most of those may never be completed, but it's cool thinking about them. I'd bet that once Microsoft releases some official tools for this thing, people are going to go crazy. 

As little as I have at the moment, it still feels like an accomplishment. I'll be sure to write a "part two" to this if I ever am able to implement some truly awesome stuff. 

No Caption Provided
    <3 
    --JJWeatherman
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

WHAT are those splotches of color dancing across the floor?! Kinect hacks are way over my head, but I hope you figure out how to do some cool shit, and let us know.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TooWalrus said:
    " WHAT are those splotches of color dancing across the floor?! Kinect hacks are way over my head, but I hope you figure out how to do some cool shit, and let us know. "
    I have no idea what the splotches are all about. I'll definitely make more videos if I'm able to do some cooler stuff though.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By Claude

It would be cool if you could hack the Wii Remote and Kinect and somehow use them together. I'm not sure what it would be used for, but I would like to see it.

Yanngc33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By Yanngc33
    @JJWeatherman: havre you seen the hack done by that european guy where he manages to use the kinect as some sort of 3D space navigator ? All this stuff is way over may head 
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Yanngc33 said:
    " @JJWeatherman: havre you seen the hack done by that european guy where he manages to use the kinect as some sort of 3D space navigator ? All this stuff is way over may head  "
    I haven't. Sounds awesome. I just watched a video of the Kinect showing you your skeleton though: 

That's pretty damn creepy, yet so cool. If only it could look through your skin and see your actual skeleton. :P
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Claude

I love this hack. The guy uses two Kinects, pretty cool.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Claude said:
    " I love this hack. The guy uses two Kinects, pretty cool.

"
    Ha, that's crazy. Imagine stitching together four Kinect images from the four corners of a room. You'd have a perfect 360 degree gaming room. 
    wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By wefwefasdf
    @JJWeatherman: That skeleton video is really creepy. When setting all that up, is it easy to brick the Kinect or is that basically impossible?
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @SpikeSpiegel said:
    " @JJWeatherman: That skeleton video is really creepy. When setting all that up, is it easy to brick the Kinect or is that basically impossible? "
    I don't think that's really an issue. I could be wrong, but it seems like the Kinect device is just being used as intended. You're not modifying any kind of internal software or doing anything physically to the Kinect itself.
    FCKSNAP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By FCKSNAP

Jeez, that's pretty cool.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By xyzygy

So when Microsoft releases that firmware update to the Kinect that doubles the resolution, do you think these hacks would become more effective? More so, those hacks that let you view the 3D area

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @xyzygy said:
    " So when Microsoft releases that firmware update to the Kinect that doubles the resolution, do you think these hacks would become more effective? More so, those hacks that let you view the 3D area "
    I suppose so. I don't know exactly how that will end up working though. I wonder if the resolution bump will carry over seamlessly to a computer, or if it'll be limited to Xbox use in some way.

It seems to me that people could already increase the resolution if they wanted to get into some in-depth hacking. You're not modifying hardware afterall. I haven't been able to find anything about that yet.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Cool stuff, man! I love the Cast Away picture you threw in there.

Haha, you're such a tease! I thought you unintentionally revealed yourself with your reflection on the computer screen, then I realized that was Brandon Roy, haha. That skeleton mod was pretty cool, though I wish we could have seen more than just the spine. Preferrably you know... some bones that actually MOVE.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @TheGreatGuero: You will never see my face! Muah ha ha ha ha! Actually, I've uploaded a bunch of pictures of myself in the past. :P 

And yeah, I have a feeling that skeleton program isn't quite ready for prime time. What they have so far seems promising though. 

I had a dream last night that I was able to get a virtual piano program running. Now I must actually do that.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Sing us a song, you're the piano man!

Yeah... you know you were thinking about Rock Band. That keyboard has INFECTED YOUR MIND.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By Red12b
    Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Red12b
    @Claude: that vid is pretty damn impressive. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.