Kinect Beta Includes A Dashboard Update, Kinect, And Games

Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Remember those Kinect beta invites Microsoft was supposedly sending to a chosen few prospective participants a week ago? The emails have been proven as genuine, as at least one beta user is already shredding up his NDA and leaking information and showing off a much sleeker, Kinect-enabled dashboard.

Joystiq has some hot screen grabs of the said dashboard, which we assumed was coming with the launch of the Kinect hardware. As a whole, the dash appears to be less bulky, both in-game and out. Its colors are a lot more sensible and refined, too, much like the new, more human-like avatar that Rare has been working on.

But the coolest thing about the beta isn't the new dash. It's the fact that participants are set to receive Kinect devices and three Kinect-enabled games: Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, and Kinect Joy Ride. That's quite a haul, if you ask me and I'm guessing we'll hear a lot more about the device and these titles as Microsoft gets the items into every participants' hands, even though the selection e-mails specifically tell those chosen few things like "DO NOT Talk with the media or press about the beta materials. This includes bloggers, newspaper reporters, and television reporters."

Kinect launches on November 4 in the US. As previously reported, it'll be packed in with copies of Kinect Adventures for $150. There's also a 4GB console bundle that will retail on the same day that includes the Kinect device and a copy of Kinect Adventures for $300.    
#1 Posted by BradNicholson (812 posts) -

Remember those Kinect beta invites Microsoft was supposedly sending to a chosen few prospective participants a week ago? The emails have been proven as genuine, as at least one beta user is already shredding up his NDA and leaking information and showing off a much sleeker, Kinect-enabled dashboard.

Joystiq has some hot screen grabs of the said dashboard, which we assumed was coming with the launch of the Kinect hardware. As a whole, the dash appears to be less bulky, both in-game and out. Its colors are a lot more sensible and refined, too, much like the new, more human-like avatar that Rare has been working on.

But the coolest thing about the beta isn't the new dash. It's the fact that participants are set to receive Kinect devices and three Kinect-enabled games: Kinect Adventures, Kinect Sports, and Kinect Joy Ride. That's quite a haul, if you ask me and I'm guessing we'll hear a lot more about the device and these titles as Microsoft gets the items into every participants' hands, even though the selection e-mails specifically tell those chosen few things like "DO NOT Talk with the media or press about the beta materials. This includes bloggers, newspaper reporters, and television reporters."

Kinect launches on November 4 in the US. As previously reported, it'll be packed in with copies of Kinect Adventures for $150. There's also a 4GB console bundle that will retail on the same day that includes the Kinect device and a copy of Kinect Adventures for $300.    
#2 Posted by Kjp93 (53 posts) -

cool stuff...

#3 Posted by pewpewlazer (56 posts) -

That is some stuff, that's cool...

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5706 posts) -

wow this is what happens when you make random people sign NDAs.

#5 Edited by Jayzilla (2561 posts) -

kinect: for people who don't work 8-10 hour days! mainly for children after school who still have energy to burn!

#6 Posted by daltimond (99 posts) -

The stuff that is within this article has now been deemed cool.

#7 Posted by The_Philosopher (570 posts) -

I'm pretty excited for November 4th. I wonder how Kinect will sell and if it'll actually work as promised.

#8 Posted by WanderingBear (84 posts) -

Damn, I was excepting some creepy super realistic avatar action. 

#9 Posted by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -
@Jayzilla said:
" kinect: for people who don't work 8-10 hour days! mainly for children after school who still have energy to burn! "
Yeah but if it burns off all your kid's energy it kinda is for the parent that works 8-10 hours a day :)
#10 Posted by PufferFiz (1379 posts) -

honestly I think the new dash looks worse. To blocky and plain in my opinion.

#11 Posted by ItsAJackal (149 posts) -

The only way I would have a Kinect in my home is if it was given to me...so let me be in the beta!

#12 Posted by ProfessorEss (7361 posts) -
@PufferFiz said:
" honestly I think the new dash looks worse. To blocky and plain in my opinion. "
Didn't you hear?
Squared is the new rounded.
#13 Posted by Junpei (756 posts) -

you know, it would have been hilarious to see a blade-like system return for the dashboard for flicking through tabs

#14 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -

I hope these people are careful in showing off this stuff.

#15 Posted by cikame (1000 posts) -

I prefer the avatars as they are now, they just need more interactivity.

#16 Posted by Bollard (5528 posts) -

So... The Avatars look the same and the dash looks worse. Sweet.  

(still wish I had gotten an email - and free Kinect - though :/ )

#17 Posted by Piranesi (452 posts) -

The first rule of Beta Materials ...
#18 Posted by Meteora (5787 posts) -
@Damien said:
" I hope these people are careful in showing off this stuff. "
Nope. Not at all. You can even see the guy's Gamertag. I have a feeling this guy's account is going to get banned from Xbox Live soon, or even worse.
#19 Posted by Milkman (16779 posts) -

Is there any kind of requirements for the beta testing or is this just going out to random people? Because that seems a little dangerous.

#20 Posted by DharmaBum (1049 posts) -

Microsoft has no aesthetic talent whatsoever. (referring to the dashboard)

#21 Edited by HoboZero (187 posts) -

It is total folly for me to think MS may allow us to set the default start row to My Xbox?  Or disable some of the unused rows (I could care less about video and music marketplace in Canada)?  The dashboard on my paid console with paid service is like 90% ads. 

Anyone know if the Destination Arcade or some other similar service has replaced the Games library area?  Or if they streamlined it at all? 

Is Destination Arcade still around - it only came out in the US, would have been neat to see a Quick Look so we'd know what we missed ;)

#22 Posted by Marino (4693 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Is there any kind of requirements for the beta testing or is this just going out to random people? Because that seems a little dangerous. "
They sent out emails first for people to apply if they were interested.  Of those people, some got selected.
Staff Online
#23 Posted by mancide (145 posts) -
@Milkman said:
" Is there any kind of requirements for the beta testing or is this just going out to random people? Because that seems a little dangerous. "
You had to sign up on their connect site, and apparently if you were in any of the previous dashboard previews you got sent an invitation.@Meteora said:
" @Damien said:
Nope. Not at all. You can even see the guy's Gamertag. I have a feeling this guy's account is going to get banned from Xbox Live soon, or even worse. "
I think he is gone, at least that is what I was reading on the forums last night.
#24 Posted by Hyper_Bunny_Meow (189 posts) -

Hmm dash upgrade could be interesting but I really don't care about kinect unfortunatly. Be nice if the dash could be more personalised to get rid of sections I have no interest in.
#25 Posted by Damien (1384 posts) -
@mancide said:
" @Meteora said:
" @Damien said:
Nope. Not at all. You can even see the guy's Gamertag. I have a feeling this guy's account is going to get banned from Xbox Live soon, or even worse. "
I think he is gone, at least that is what I was reading on the forums last night. "
Well, Live can always use one less stupid person.
#26 Posted by StingX2 (18 posts) -

I'm actually happy I love I'm not included, I love my party chat more than writing an article >_>

#27 Posted by Franstone (1120 posts) -

What kind of dick makes a video breaking an NDA of a new GUI based on sensing movement and uses a controller?
#28 Posted by _SubZero_ (49 posts) -

4gb xbox seems like a waste.

#29 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

I at least hope the Netflix queue is still layered. Only being able to see 4 or so movie boxes at a time is ridiculously low. I might as well use the terrible Netflix browser on my PS3 or Wii.

Other than that, /shrug. I wonder if the in-game "guide" has also been updated.

#30 Posted by PatrickCrider (25 posts) -

Lucky!!!

#31 Posted by StarOceaner (23 posts) -

Kinect is going to fail as bad as the Eye Toy and have just as many, if not more, games for children than the Wii.

#32 Posted by riversswe (14 posts) -

I'm not interested in any of those games, i hope they bundle some "real" games with Kinect in the future.

#33 Posted by CDUBBE (17 posts) -

Still not impressed by Kinect. Maybe it's just not my thing though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.