Kinect Games all on Rails?

#1 Posted by CaptainCanada (105 posts) -

after seeing all the games and especially the star wars where you move only forward, im just wondering are all the games going to be on rails where you stand and do motion only because im wondering how you could acheive any kind of open worldness or adventure with out controlling a camera and character independently
#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (16170 posts) -

Yeah seemed like it. Especially when they showed Star Wars, which didn't look too bad.

#3 Posted by yinstarrunner (1240 posts) -

You can't achieve any sense of openess, and that's why gaming without any kind of controller is impractical and would probably grow old really, really fast.

#4 Posted by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

The thing is with games with "open worldness or adventure", no-one is going to want to use Kinect over a controller when given the choice. There is no "laughing at yourself" factor playing single player games, so it's not like the flailing will add anything to the game.

I think it makes sense to make all these shitty casual games on rails for Kinect and keep it away from single player and hXc games.

#5 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -

But didn't you hear what the lady in the press conference said. "We can go anywhere!"

#6 Posted by ShiftyMagician (2132 posts) -

The open-worldness you might be thinking about isn't feasibly possible, as that would require you to actually walk around unless they make it so you act like your walking, and turn your body in a way to gesture to the camera that you intend to move either right or left.  But that would be a bit awkward and wouldn't catch on real well it seems.  But for smaller more focused gameplay mechanics, it will do just fine.  Perhaps they should talk more about having a hybrid control scheme like what was talked about briefly in the day -1 bombcast.

#7 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

Kinect/Move are here to compete with the Wii, so casual games will be in order, and they are often on rails.  Though it would be neat to see Rebel Assault...

#8 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2913 posts) -
@Ragdrazi said:
" But didn't you hear what the lady in the press conference said. "We can go anywhere!" "
In Kinect Adventures, you can go anywhere, so long as you go straight ahead.
#9 Posted by BunkerBuster (1042 posts) -

To be fair, these are all launch games. I would bet money that all these games were made in less than a year. Give it a couple months and then we'll know exactly what it's games will be like.

#10 Posted by MaFoLu (1859 posts) -

It could be possible for the player to move ingame by walking in place, like that running demo thingy they showed, and maybe turning by moving your head or something but my guess is that it wouldn't work so well for fast paced games.
Therefore most of the games are on-rails or similar which limits the amount of games that can be made for Kinect (I don't like that name BTW) and I guess that's why we see mostly Eyetoy-like games.

#11 Posted by CaptainCanada (105 posts) -
@mosdl said:
"Kinect/Move are here to compete with the Wii, so casual games will be in order, and they are often on rails.  Though it would be neat to see Rebel Assault... "

this is true however move has the potential to do open world quite easy with its analog nub and dual control ability example: Socom with Kinect i just dont see it it seems like everything will be on rails
#12 Edited by Vitor (2832 posts) -

Point somewhere within the screen and say 'go'?  

JRPGS would work fine with Natal (sorry, Kinect) as would adventure games. Sam and Max anyone? Hell, RTS games would be sweet also (was secretly kinda hoping for an announcement from blizzard as to a Starcraft 2 xbox port with full kinect functionality...). 

Also, Joyride was not on rails. It was just kinda shoddy to make up for that (especially in the aftermath of ModNation).

#13 Posted by CaptainCanada (105 posts) -
@Vitor said:
"Point somewhere within the screen and say 'go'?   JRPGS would work fine with Natal (sorry, Kinect) as would adventure games. Sam and Max anyone? Hell, RTS games would be sweet also (was secretly kinda hoping for an announcement from blizzard as to a Starcraft 2 xbox port with full kinect functionality...).  Also, Joyride was not on rails. It was just kinda shoddy to make up for that (especially in the aftermath of ModNation). "

hmm i dunno i suppose it could work okay for jrpgs but as for joyride there was no indication of her having to gas or break just steer therefore on rails other then boosting it seemed like always going forward, as for the point and say go i would imagine would feel forced and  not very fluent but im not counting it out just giving my impressions in its early stage

#14 Posted by Deathawk (280 posts) -

Doesn't the new Forza use both the controller and Kinect? I imagine if developers really wanted to they could make some kind of bizzare Kinect/controller hybrid. Actually on second thought I'm pretty sure MS might have a problem with a game that required users to use both, as it'd be hard to explain to potential buyers that it requires both.

#15 Posted by Icil (727 posts) -

They really need a one handed controller. We can't just be expected to jump from full on controller to complete lack of controller. There should be a one handed stick with a few odd buttons. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.