Kinect is giving 5 year olds easy access to porn

#1 Posted by tobygw (664 posts) -

 http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/26282032/detail.html 
 
The proof is all right here people. What is stopping this 5 year old kid who was innocently enjoying his new Kinect from going online on to his computer, stumbling across a website which is making a hacked 360 porn game, steal his mom's credit card, fill out all the proper information, burn game to disk, mod his xbox, then play the game. 
 
If you are a parent who bought your kid the kinect, be sure to watch them at all times while they use it. Who knows what they might be doing! :/

#2 Posted by ArchScabby (5877 posts) -

If I had porn when I was 5 I would be a better man for it.

#3 Posted by Skald (4397 posts) -

Considering the fact that I don't think the news people could even do all that, I think the world is still safe from early access to interactive breast polygons.

Online
#4 Posted by raiz265 (2249 posts) -

wow 
fox

#5 Posted by Skytylz (4074 posts) -

Well, good thing I didn't buy one!

#6 Posted by StaticFalconar (4919 posts) -
@tobygw: The steps taken there is more then it takes for the same 5 year old to just go online and find porn in general, no Kinect needed. 
#7 Edited by Pazy (2683 posts) -
  • "Martina Valverde-KFOX Morning News Reporter"
  • "said Angelica Valverde, of northeast El Paso."
  • "Five-year-old Edwin Valverde"

There are things about this story that i dont accept but it dosent seem right for a a reporter to interview their family about a story they wants to publish.

#8 Posted by Fenrisulfr (151 posts) -

And how is a five year old going to know where to go to find this game, download it after finding some moeny he can use over the internet, burn it to a disc (how many of us even have discs laying around anymore?), find a tutorial on how to mod an Xbox and Kinect, then play the game? 
 
Flawed conclusion is flawed.  It's easier just to get onto Google and type in "porn" with safe search off.  This Kinect thing?  Far too much trouble for a quicky.

#9 Posted by HarlequinRiot (1092 posts) -
The Granfather said:
 "If you notice it's only one hand so I figure the other one is busy," said Martin.Martin said he predicted this when he set up the system."The first thing that came to my mind was someone is going to come out with interactive porn," said Martin. 
   Gramps has a bit too much time on his hands. 
#10 Posted by Gabriel (4131 posts) -

How about instead you buy the move for your 13 year old girl? 
 

#11 Posted by C0V3RT (1393 posts) -

When I read shit like this - the first thing I think is this has to go through at least three or four sets of eyes before it can get published. One of those sets of eyes should know, "this isn't how this shit works." At the very least, someone should fact check. Glad to see I made the right decision not continuing to pursue journalism back when I was in college.

#12 Posted by AjayRaz (12693 posts) -

awesome 

#13 Posted by pyromagnestir (4391 posts) -

What the hell kind of five year old wants to look at porn or even understands what porn is enough to seek it out?
#14 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5885 posts) -

so is google

#15 Edited by EpicSteve (6909 posts) -

How many 5 year olds know what porn is and have the motivation to seek it out? In fact, no 5 year old knows what console mods are and how to access them. WTF. When I was 6 or 7, I might have googled "boobies". That's about it. I wasn't downloading naked Quake mods.

#16 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1834 posts) -
@tobygw said:
http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/26282032/detail.html  The proof is all right here people. What is stopping this 5 year old kid who was innocently enjoying his new Kinect from going online on to his computer, stumbling across a website which is making a hacked 360 porn game, steal his mom's credit card, fill out all the proper information, burn game to disk, mod his xbox, then play the game.  If you are a parent who bought your kid the kinect, be sure to watch them at all times while they use it. Who knows what they might be doing! :/ "

I don't know what is worse the moron who wrote this crap or you for linking it and giving it exposure which is basically what she wants,
#17 Posted by davidwitten22 (1712 posts) -

lol

#18 Posted by tobygw (664 posts) -
@BD_Mr_Bubbles: I don't think that she was looking for this type of exposure. I can guarantee that with her e-mail address being up on that site she will regret it very shortly. That Fox news person who trashed on mass effect for the full frontal nudity is still feeling the consequences. 
#19 Posted by Stephen_Von_Cloud (1537 posts) -

lol I thought you were making a very uninformed and reactionary thread but it turns out it was just the usual Fox video game related news stories.  No surprise there.

#20 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8734 posts) -

So does the internet.
 
Hell there's sex ads in the newspapers, watch out!

#21 Posted by The_Laughing_Man (13807 posts) -
@tobygw said:
"  http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/26282032/detail.html  The proof is all right here people. What is stopping this 5 year old kid who was innocently enjoying his new Kinect from going online on to his computer, stumbling across a website which is making a hacked 360 porn game, steal his mom's credit card, fill out all the proper information, burn game to disk, mod his xbox, then play the game.  If you are a parent who bought your kid the kinect, be sure to watch them at all times while they use it. Who knows what they might be doing! :/ "
Thread made a wile ago dude. 
#22 Posted by BD_Mr_Bubbles (1834 posts) -

@tobygw said:

" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: I don't think that she was looking for this type of exposure. I can guarantee that with her e-mail address being up on that site she will regret it very shortly. That Fox news person who trashed on mass effect for the full frontal nudity is still feeling the consequences.  "


That is kind of my point, she may just be an affiliate for fox but i'm sure she was well aware of how that went down and as far as I know she can't be hurt by this like the other dumbass because she has nothing to lose unlike the idiot with the book, that said she can just delete emails,  (unlike book reviews) i'm sure shes ready for whatever backlash comes and just did this just to stir up the BS.

#23 Posted by ShadowKnight508 (693 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" How many 5 year olds know what porn is and have the motivation to seek it out? In fact, no 5 year old knows what console mods are and how to access them. WTF. When I was 6 or 7, I might have googled "boobies". That's about it. I wasn't downloading naked Quake mods. "
This. I don't think that a 5 year old could comprehend enough to look it up even if he knew what it was.
#24 Posted by ch13696 (4760 posts) -

I...what...oh god...I.... 
 
Someone help me out here...

#25 Posted by the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG (4313 posts) -

ya as soon as i saw the vids for project natal i knew that these problems wouldve been inevitable....  oh well i doubt things arent gonna be much different concerning the ps3 and possibly the wii

#26 Posted by MikkaQ (10296 posts) -

Google's much easier, but I didn't figure that out until I was twelve. Before during my childhood I had to wear stilts and a long coat to look old enough to buy porn.

#27 Posted by Meteora (5844 posts) -

Oh hey look... its Fox news again. 
 
Move along people.

#28 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2909 posts) -

This whole article is just really poorly written. Why the fuck is every paragraph one sentance long?
 
Oh yeah, because otherwise it would be even more obvious just how tiny and insignificant this story is. "Our star reporter interviewed one family about a game which has already been condemned by the owner of the platform, has no confirmed date of release, and will very likely not be available for purchase on any legitimate channel, ever. But it's about sex and new technology and oh won't someone please think of the children!"

#29 Posted by RTSlord (1231 posts) -
@tobygw said:
"  http://www.kfoxtv.com/news/26282032/detail.html  The proof is all right here people. What is stopping this 5 year old kid who was innocently enjoying his new Kinect from going online on to his computer, stumbling across a website which is making a hacked 360 porn game, steal his mom's credit card, fill out all the proper information, burn game to disk, mod his xbox, then play the game.  If you are a parent who bought your kid the kinect, be sure to watch them at all times while they use it. Who knows what they might be doing! :/ "
Yes fox, because every 5 year old not only wants to do that but is capable of doing that....sigh, another case of the media flipping out over video games
#30 Posted by yyZiggurat (1053 posts) -
"But I bought this thing so I wouldn't have to watch my kid, FUCK"
 
 
@StaticFalconar said:
" @tobygw: The steps taken there is more then it takes for the same 5 year old to just go online and find porn in general, no Kinect needed.  "

#31 Posted by scarace360 (4813 posts) -
@AjayRaz said:
" awesome  "
im with you on this this is what kinect was made for and if they dont release shit like that for it it will fail. Porn means you sell more units.
#32 Posted by McDom (84 posts) -

 'It's unknown when the game will actually be available online, if ever or how much it will be sold for'
 
Great reporting. Really top drawer.

#33 Posted by pwnasaurus (1298 posts) -

anybody else notice how awesome the grandfather is? smart dude. and kinda funny.

#34 Posted by ChristianCastillo (1186 posts) -

hmmm How about the fact that he's 5 fucking years old! lmao

#35 Posted by RichardLOlson (1904 posts) -

Sign me up.  This is laughable and something that would be great at parties.  I don't see a problem with this game.  As far as kids playing it, sure its gonna happen.  Parents need to be supervising what there kids do.  If the parent is letting there kids play this game, then the parent is obviously a retard and doesn't need to be having kids in the first place.

#36 Posted by Gamer_152 (14303 posts) -

The ignorance, it burns!

Moderator
#37 Posted by Droop (1926 posts) -

5 year old to hack a Kinect and his 360 and download a porn game? Sure.

#38 Posted by Scooper (7920 posts) -
@EpicSteve said:
" How many 5 year olds know what porn is and have the motivation to seek it out? In fact, no 5 year old knows what console mods are and how to access them. WTF. When I was 6 or 7, I might have googled "boobies". That's about it. I wasn't downloading naked Quake mods. "
You've led a sheltered life hahaha. 
 
Nahh. This is just vegetables reporting fallacies to other vegetables that eat it up day after day. Don't worry about the article or anyone that's reading it because whoever is reading that and taking it seriously obviously doesn't have a brain.
#39 Posted by buft (3409 posts) -
@Gabriel said:
" How about instead you buy the move for your 13 year old girl? 
 
"
Lol that must be a photoshop, right?
#40 Posted by Jack268 (3368 posts) -
#41 Posted by wwfundertaker (1477 posts) -

The bigger issue is, how does a 5 year old know what porn is.

#42 Posted by GoofyGoober (941 posts) -

Its Fox news....End of story.

#43 Posted by hwy_61 (1034 posts) -
@raiz265 said:
" wow fox "
#44 Posted by dyong (334 posts) -

Hey, if a 5 year old can mod a console, get a credit card, and buy a kinect supported porn game, he deserves to play the damn game.

#45 Posted by beej (1675 posts) -
@BD_Mr_Bubbles said:
"

@tobygw said:

" @BD_Mr_Bubbles: I don't think that she was looking for this type of exposure. I can guarantee that with her e-mail address being up on that site she will regret it very shortly. That Fox news person who trashed on mass effect for the full frontal nudity is still feeling the consequences.  "


That is kind of my point, she may just be an affiliate for fox but i'm sure she was well aware of how that went down and as far as I know she can't be hurt by this like the other dumbass because she has nothing to lose unlike the idiot with the book, that said she can just delete emails,  (unlike book reviews) i'm sure shes ready for whatever backlash comes and just did this just to stir up the BS.

"
Yet we can, and should, point out innacuracies where they exist. Sure this will lead to some press on the issue but at the same time it's much better to respond to something than simply ignore it. Especially if we consider that everyone going to that article through this link knowns better, his actions aren't really generating any positive press for the issue. It seems like the viewpoint you espouse would have us ignore all false claims because to respond to them is to give them publicity. 
#46 Posted by ryanwho (12012 posts) -

They're gonna rub their string bean raw.

#47 Posted by Subjugation (4827 posts) -
@Gabriel: Haha. I knew they had something else in mind when they made those Move controllers.
#48 Posted by cstrang (2362 posts) -

Move along, folks, just video game alarmists at it again.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.