Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Live Kinect Demonstration

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By zonerover

The Live Kinect demonstration has been over for a while already. For the moment it still says live because TWiT is replaying the Kinect demonstration on a loop until they begin their Live E3 coverage covering the Microsoft press conference, and then from the show floor from 12PM. It begins from (edited:10AM pacific) and continues until G4 starts their coverage.

Below are some basic notes I've written up during the live stream. Some of the details are new but most of it seems like it came from last night.

• You're were watching coverage from a spot for GMA. Becky Worley is doing the demo, with Leo Laporte and Erik Lanagin from TWiT behind the camera.
    • Looks like a female journalist has told Leo that she kept her poncho from last night, meaning that there's more than one missing poncho out there (that homing beacon is coming to get you Jeff).
    •  You can tell that this is for mainstream TV the way they're talking dumb about the product, but I guess that's who they're selling the product to anyway.
    •  Some details - Kinect apparently tracks 48 points on your body to do what it does. They'll have Kinect Sports, Kinect Adventures, Kinectamals, that Star Wars game and others that got mentioned before. No price reveiled yet - perhaps we'll have to wait until later today for more info.
    • You were watching coverage for a spot for GMA. Now Leo Laporte from TWiT is demoing the product.
    •  More details. It has an RGB camera, a depth sensor and a multiarray microphone. Plus, Facebook integration in games (in Kinect Adventures, it'll take EyeToy style pictures while you play and share them with your friends).
    • Quote from Microsoft PR: "It's not just for casual gamers". Right... 
    • More details on Video Conferencing will come later today during the Microsoft keynote. Also, when questioned about what 'RGB Camera' means, it seems like the Microsoft rep stumbles and doesn't know. In other words, it seems as though it has... a color camera.
    Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Wess

I never thought watching people get ready to do a live thing would be so entertaining.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By VIGGO123

Man, I can't get over the fact that people look like idiots while playing motion controlled games.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By zonerover
    @VIGGO123: True, ironically though we've seen people being idiots in front of cameras before. Its called the EyeToy! Just hope Natal is sensitive (AKA Head Tracking) like Ryan was commenting on from the Day -1 Bombcast - otherwise Natal will be a dud.
    jeffgoldblum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By jeffgoldblum

Kinect 2010- You ARE the raft.

VIGGO123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By VIGGO123

Anyone know if this livestream is legal? Looks kinda shady.

EDIT: That chick has got a fake-ass smile!

Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Wess

Who is taping this stream?  I feel like its some dude hiding in a corner who isn't supposed to be there.

Edit: Well, nevermind.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#8  Edited By BeachThunder

All of a sudden I want to buy a Ford and I don't know why =/

Edit: this is really awkward watching this...

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By zonerover
    @VIGGO123: It's legal. Otherwise the GMA folks would kick the filmer out.
    Wess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Wess

I want the dude holding our camera to go over there while she's not looking and start playing the dancing game or something.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @JeffGoldblum said:
    "Kinect 2010- You ARE the raft. "

Sadly this may genuinely be the most endearing endorsement I've heard for the Kinect launch lineup so far.
    BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#12  Edited By BeachThunder

Ok, stopped watching, the whole whispering stuff to the old guy was just too awkward...

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Red12b

Oh god... this is sooo bad... 

I feel bad...inside... 

When she said it's targeted for mom's with yoga, I died a little inside.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By zonerover
    It looks like the rough movement of the body parts is there with the 48-point tracking, but I don't see the 1-1 movement. Without that, Kinect speaks of the original Wiimote.
    Avatar image for scrumdidlyumptious
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too much misinformation to watch... It's making me feel dirty. Well I guess she doesn't know any better.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zonerover
    @Scrumdidlyumptious:  I kinda wish there was more information/hard questions being asked but these aren't gaming journalists. Anyway, watching the actual movement/what actually happens says it all.
    Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Marz

haven't seen leo laporte since he was on the screensavers, thought he had died or something lol.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By zonerover
    @Marz:  The odd thing is that he's been 'on the air' on the TWiT Network for hours a day all these years since The Screensavers ended.
    Wright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wright

oh god....

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Binman88

The woman just reminded me about it's voice activation features. I have a question. What happens if you happen to say one of the recognised phrases while talking to someone in the room while Kinect is running? Does Kinect know the difference between a command and conversation? If I say goodnight to someone leaving the room before I'm finished watching a movie, does Kinect shut down the system prematurely because it thought I was talking to it?

Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Binman88 said:

" The woman just reminded me about it's voice activation features. I have a question. What happens if you happen to say one of the recognised phrases while talking to someone in the room while Kinect is running? Does Kinect know the difference between a command and conversation? If I say goodnight to someone leaving the room before I'm finished watching a movie, does Kinect shut down the system prematurely because it thought I was talking to it? "

I imagine Microsoft would have thought of all that sort of stuff. They probably do have something worked out since that is probably one of the first questions that would come up during the design process, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to release it. Now if only they could think up a way to make a game that uses Kinect in a non gimmicky way.    
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Scrumdidlyumptious said:
    " @Binman88 said:

" The woman just reminded me about it's voice activation features. I have a question. What happens if you happen to say one of the recognised phrases while talking to someone in the room while Kinect is running? Does Kinect know the difference between a command and conversation? If I say goodnight to someone leaving the room before I'm finished watching a movie, does Kinect shut down the system prematurely because it thought I was talking to it? "

I imagine Microsoft would have thought of all that sort of stuff. They probably do have something worked out since that is probably one of the first questions that would come up during the design process, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to release it. Now if only they could think up a way to make a game that uses Kinect in a non gimmicky way.     "
    Isnt that the point..Kinect has all ways been a gimmick? 
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Binman88
    " @Binman88 said:

I imagine Microsoft would have thought of all that sort of stuff. They probably do have something worked out since that is probably one of the first questions that would come up during the design process, otherwise it wouldn't make sense to release it. Now if only they could think up a way to make a game that uses Kinect in a non gimmicky way.     "
    Yeah I'm sure they've thought of it, but I'm trying to think how they would avoid stuff like that without making the voice activation stuff a bit hit and miss. If they require the words to be spoken directly at the hardware for clarity, you could end up spending more time trying to get it to "hear" you than you would have spent pressing a button on a remote. I guess it will become clear how it works over the course of E3.
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Laughing_Man:  True... 

I guess they're going about it the right way, since I wouldn't want Kinect in my "hardcore" games anyway.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

" True...  I guess they're going about it the right way, since I wouldn't want Kinect in my "hardcore" games anyway. "

Correct me if I am wrong. But I am yet to see anything that is pretty much not what the Wii does. Just no controllers. 
    Scrumdidlyumptious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exactly what it is.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zonerover
    @The_Laughing_Man: It's like the EyeToy+

@Binman88:  Voice recognition technology is not perfect, but if you look at the stuff Nuance has done with voice recognition (Dragon Naturally Speaking, Ford Sync), it has definetely come a long way to the point where good software can pick up and understand you okay. Whether of not its excellent, I guess we'll have to wait to find that out.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#28  Edited By get2sammyb

I dunno why people go on about voice recognition like it's something amazingly new feature. Heck - it was in Nintendogs on the Nintendo DS for goodness sake; it was in SingStar. It's nothing new -- it all depends on software as to how it works.

Avatar image for fakeplastictree
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By FakePlasticTree

The more I see of this thing the less interested I become. Then again, I am not the target audience. At least the Move looks like it has some more adult oriented games, but I think that will quickly change too and both of these new control schemes will quickly fill up with shovelware, just like the Wii. But that's what Microsoft and Sony apparently want.  

One thing is for sure...Ubisoft must be absolutely loving this. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Only Kid Rock is more authentic than Kinect.

zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By zonerover
    @FakePlasticTree: I know what's going on today...

Red Steel 3D is coming. It won't be guaranteed for the Wii because it'll be a 360 exclusive. You will be the gun... in 3D.

@zudthespud: Only Red Steel 3D is more authentic than Kid Rock.
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @zonerover said:
    " @FakePlasticTree: I know what's going on today...

Red Steel 3D is coming. It won't be guaranteed for the Wii because it'll be a 360 exclusive. You will be the gun... in 3D.

@zudthespud: Only Red Steel 3D is more authentic than Kid Rock. "
    Lol, I was referring to Ubisoft's Super Animalz Monkeyz Baby Party 37...only on Xbox 360
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By zonerover
    @FakePlasticTree:  Who cares why Ubisoft will be loving it. If it has anything to do with Kinect, no one on Giant Bomb is going to care about it other than to watch Jeff, Vinnie, Brad and Ryan do goofie quick looks on them.
    zonerover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zonerover
    FakePlasticTree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By FakePlasticTree
    @zonerover said:
    " @FakePlasticTree:  Who cares why Ubisoft will be loving it. If it has anything to do with Kinect, no one on Giant Bomb is going to care about it other than to watch Jeff, Vinnie, Brad and Ryan do goofie quick looks on them. "
    I didn't even think of the quick look possibilities.  

VIVA KINETIC!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.