Microsoft Drops Kinect Price to $109.99

  • 114 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -

If our recent Quick Look of the sequel to Double Fine Happy Action Theater got you wondering “hey, maybe I should pick up a Kinect,” Microsoft has conveniently dropped the price for you.

The company announced today the official price has moved from $149.99 to $109.99, an appreciable $40 shift.

This change only applies to North America, Latin Ameria, and Asia Pacific regions, though. In Europe and Japan, Kinect remains at its current price.

#1 Posted by patrickklepek (5581 posts) -

If our recent Quick Look of the sequel to Double Fine Happy Action Theater got you wondering “hey, maybe I should pick up a Kinect,” Microsoft has conveniently dropped the price for you.

The company announced today the official price has moved from $149.99 to $109.99, an appreciable $40 shift.

This change only applies to North America, Latin Ameria, and Asia Pacific regions, though. In Europe and Japan, Kinect remains at its current price.

#2 Posted by ritenthebredbox (12 posts) -

Cheap!

#3 Posted by Brendan (7844 posts) -

Interesting news, but I'm still not getting it. There just isn't enough game for me to be interested in investing for.

#4 Edited by YOUNGLINK (552 posts) -

Ummm, still too much.

#5 Posted by HadesTimes (812 posts) -

Seems expensive for the three or four OK games for it.

#6 Posted by Fallen189 (5034 posts) -

Not doing it in Europe. Typical

#7 Posted by ICantBeStopped (413 posts) -

Man, can't you guys put up some content already? It's the middle of the week, FFS. All these news stories are interesting, where's the Quick Looks?

#8 Posted by RJPelonia (863 posts) -

My waiting has payed off.

It's time.

#9 Posted by AxleBro (798 posts) -

100 more and i'll consider buying this trash.

#10 Posted by nERVEcenter (183 posts) -

Oh lordy, I saw that price and my heart jumped. Is that really the significantly discounted MSRP now?

Talk about misguided.

#11 Posted by Marz (5658 posts) -

Think i'll still pass on it.

#12 Posted by teh_destroyer (3569 posts) -

I will wait for it to drop another $50.

#13 Posted by Aetheldod (3630 posts) -

Tad $109.99 too expensive for me ... pass

#14 Posted by beefbearsupreme (3 posts) -

Still unsure if it's worth it as a gaming peripheral. I really enjoy having it for the video apps, but there really aren't any killer IPs available. Loved The Gunstringer, and Happy Action Theater. But it really isn't worth the price of admission.

#15 Posted by LangarN (131 posts) -

Whoa,$109.99 is still crazy much

#16 Posted by Vexxan (4623 posts) -

Of course this deal doesn't apply to Europe.

#17 Posted by EvilKatarn (465 posts) -

Yeah, because it was the price holding me back, not the awesome library of games that thing has.

#18 Posted by ThePrologue (10 posts) -

Still doesn't matter considering my room is too small.

#19 Posted by RE_Player1 (7563 posts) -

Still $109.99 too much. Not buying this piece of junk so I can be a guinea pig for Microsoft. They released this thing way too early, like the 360 itself, and it barely works. I bought the Playstation Move and Wii day 1 and while they are both collecting dust at least they worked and I had fun with some of the software.

#20 Posted by Deathpooky (1421 posts) -

Considering I have no idea if I can get it to work in my living room, there's no way I'm buying it till it drops to the point where I'm willing to potentially throw that money away. I'd love to try to play DFHAT or Dance Central with friends, but I'm not spending $100 on a box of frustration and poor controls because my room isn't enormous.

Go down to $30-40 and we'll talk. I waste that much money on things far too often.

#21 Posted by benjaamin (3 posts) -

Look man, best I can give you for it is 10 bucks.

#22 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

Still not worth it for me considering i still haven't seen anything that makes me want a kinect.

#23 Posted by ProfessorEss (7450 posts) -

If you have a decent sized living room and think you would get as much out of Dance Central as I've gotten out of Dance Central I'd say go for it. 
 
Otherwise, I would suggest that you continue to pass.

#24 Posted by Shuborno (938 posts) -

So it now costs roughly the amount it should have cost when it originally came out.

This announcement should have been paired with some sort of announcement about cool new upcoming Kinect games coming out.

Of course there aren't any cool new Kinect games coming out.

#25 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3429 posts) -

I just wanted to echo every other comment on here and say whatever.

Drop it another hun bitches! Then I'll think about buying it. Turning it on and using it is a whole other story.

#26 Posted by mlarrabee (2993 posts) -

I've no respect for Kinect as a gaming controller, but it's one of only a few consumer products that will usher the future. Real-time skeletal tracking and 3D analysis is going to revolutionize the way humans and robots interface with the world, and the Kinect is the most prevalent consumer-grade version, and it's available in retail stores!

#27 Posted by cloudnineboya (831 posts) -

Does it come with a free toaster?

#28 Posted by Quarters (1750 posts) -

Cool. Still not happening.

#29 Posted by carlfoster91 (100 posts) -

I'll give them $14.99 and not a cent more. $15? Fuck you!

#30 Posted by GnomeonFire (769 posts) -

This thing actually costed more before? damn.

#31 Posted by SpunkyHePanda (1700 posts) -

Weird price.

#32 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

I may buy it now. Been meaning to try it out.

#33 Posted by MonkeyKing1969 (2895 posts) -

Really anyone buying this, I would hope, is thinking less about games and more about just having the camera, microphone , and using it for the XBL dashboard. Yet, for $109 that is still a bit expensive.

There is no doubt that some sort of camera and mic is helpful, but I think Sony just has a better package for that with the PS Eye. If you want to video-chat or use the microphone for online games that $39.95 price of the PS Eye is okay.

#34 Posted by ajamafalous (12039 posts) -

I think I'll wait for when Kinect 2 hits $49. By then hopefully there's more than one interesting game for it and the hardware actually works.

#35 Posted by Tesla (1932 posts) -

Kinect bundled with Happy Action Theater sequel for $60 would get me to buy.

#36 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

That's still too much money at this point. I would really only consider it for maybe $40 or $50.

#37 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

Never. It would be a bit dumb to invest in it this late in the console's lifespan. Just wait for Kinect 2 or whatever it will be on the next Xbox.

#38 Posted by Bravestar (381 posts) -

so we in europe have to pay more anyway, even MS points are more expensive(because they treat dollar and euro 1:1) and then we don't even get the pricecut. well, still not as bad as sony I guess.

#39 Posted by phrali (646 posts) -

i would not accept this for free even if it came with free interior designer to rearrange and paint my living room

#40 Posted by Little_Socrates (5683 posts) -

Yeah, okay, I might throw down for this.

#41 Posted by ddensel (388 posts) -

Why would I pay money for something that doesn't even work?

It's time for people to stop pretending this thing works properly. Even during the 25% of the time you can get the Kinect working, you're still standing up to play bad minigames with no tactile feedback. If Microsoft pushes Kinect any further rather than focusing on great 1st party games, I'm going to jump ship to Sony.

#42 Posted by mariussmit (245 posts) -

How well did the Kinect features for Mass Effect 3 end up working? (Not a rhetorical question) If more games integrate Kinect in that way, and it actually works, I might consider getting it.

#43 Posted by Galiant (2193 posts) -

Doesn't make it any less useless!

#44 Posted by thatdutchguy (1273 posts) -

Still way too much.

#45 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

Hasn't Amazon been selling it at $100 for a while now?

Online
#46 Posted by blacklab (1570 posts) -

Latin Ameria is my favorite of the Amerias.

#47 Posted by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@ddensel said:

Why would I pay money for something that doesn't even work?

It's time for people to stop pretending this thing works properly. Even during the 25% of the time you can get the Kinect working, you're still standing up to play bad minigames with no tactile feedback. If Microsoft pushes Kinect any further rather than focusing on great 1st party games, I'm going to jump ship to Sony.

It does work, what are you talking about? If you have the proper space and lighting (pretty much everyone with a proper entertainment room/basement) and play one of those games that are playing to the strengths of Kinect (arguably only dance/rhytm, rail shooters, sports en fitness and the happy action theatre) it is really a lot of fun and definately worth the hundred something dollars.

I realize the Kinect is situational but it does actually work.

#48 Posted by CircleNine (381 posts) -

Surprised they didn't go for a $50 drop for making that under $100 price tag. Still doesn't really have enough good games to justify $110 though.

#49 Posted by LiquidPrince (16016 posts) -

@jozzy said:

@ddensel said:

Why would I pay money for something that doesn't even work?

It's time for people to stop pretending this thing works properly. Even during the 25% of the time you can get the Kinect working, you're still standing up to play bad minigames with no tactile feedback. If Microsoft pushes Kinect any further rather than focusing on great 1st party games, I'm going to jump ship to Sony.

It does work, what are you talking about? If you have the proper space and lighting (pretty much everyone with a proper entertainment room/basement) and play one of those games that are playing to the strengths of Kinect (arguably only dance/rhytm, rail shooters, sports en fitness and the happy action theatre) it is really a lot of fun and definately worth the hundred something dollars.

I realize the Kinect is situational but it does actually work.

That's bullshit... It barely works even in optimal positions. How many quick looks of Kinect games have we seen just on Giantbomb that barely work, even though Giantbomb is in one of the best studios a Kinect owner can dream of having, with wide open spaces and great lighting.

#50 Edited by jozzy (2042 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

@jozzy said:

@ddensel said:

Why would I pay money for something that doesn't even work?

It's time for people to stop pretending this thing works properly. Even during the 25% of the time you can get the Kinect working, you're still standing up to play bad minigames with no tactile feedback. If Microsoft pushes Kinect any further rather than focusing on great 1st party games, I'm going to jump ship to Sony.

It does work, what are you talking about? If you have the proper space and lighting (pretty much everyone with a proper entertainment room/basement) and play one of those games that are playing to the strengths of Kinect (arguably only dance/rhytm, rail shooters, sports en fitness and the happy action theatre) it is really a lot of fun and definately worth the hundred something dollars.

I realize the Kinect is situational but it does actually work.

That's bullshit... It barely works even in optimal positions. How many quick looks of Kinect games have we seen just on Giantbomb that barely work, even though Giantbomb is in one of the best studios a Kinect owner can dream of having, with wide open spaces and great lighting.

It's not bullshit! I have one and it works, do you have one?

I don't know what the problem is at the Giantbomb studio.

EDIT: and of course there are a ton of really bad Kinect games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.