Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Molyneux Convinced New Genres to Pop-out of Natal

JackiJinx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 34

#1  Edited By JackiJinx

In an interview with the Creative Director of Microsoft Game Studio Europe's Peter Molyneux about Natal earlier this month, Molyneux apparently laid down some grandiose wagers. Specifically, he says, "One thing that will be created in Natal, and I'll bet money on it...is whole new genres."

It's not that hard to believe when looking over other such gaming pioneers like the Wii, harborer of such unique titles as Wii Fit and Wii Music. Although both games still fall into established categories, it's hardly debatable to say they are not typical sports or music games. The change is to the point where it's hard to call either of them games.

The real question is whether Natal will bring about genres that will cater to more innovation in gun and sword play, or stick to the less game-savvy games the Wii has generated.

What do you think?
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Jayge_

First-Person Fighting Games?

fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By fr0br0

First Person Third Person Shooting Games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52
    deactivated-5ab39e03e3e52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

first person action fighting rpg super robot game?

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By Claude

MMO Adventure Games. I see you and you see me. We talk, listen and interact. Solving the games many elements of immersion. Sex, drugs and rock n' roll.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Claude said:
    " MMO Adventure Games. I see you and you see me. We talk, listen and interact. Solving the games many elements of immersion. Sex, drugs and rock n' roll. "
    Sex with natal =D Just pelvic thrust the screen that'd would actually be an awesome laugh riot.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Al3xand3r

Um, new genre isn't just putting them all in first person... Which you can already do with most of those genres you guys mentioned...

I don't see what he sees for new genres, even Milo is a glorified tamagotchi... Maybe he just doesn't know what genres are out there so well?

I mean, it's Molyneux... You can't count that out, sadly.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

RapeLay 2: Totally Party is gonna be SOOOO lifelike!  Can't wait!

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#9  Edited By Claude
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Um, new genre isn't just putting them all in first person... Which you can already do with most of those genres you guys mentioned...I don't see what he means new genres, even Milo is a glorified tamagotchi... Maybe he just doesn't know what genres are out there all that well?I mean, it's Molyneux... You can't count that out, sadly. "
    Yeah, I was being facetious, because there are so many genres. I think Peter Molyneux is just doing what he does best. Talk and making it sound bigger than it really is.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By End_Boss

Will new genres spawn from advanced motion control technology like Natal? Sure, I think so. What remains to be seen, however, is whether or not any of these new genres will be worth their salt. What I hope to see in the future is not the complete retirement of traditional controls from gaming (as some so ominously predict), nor the passing of the "fad" of motion controls, but some kind of crazy hybrid. I don't know how it would work, but that's not my job.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I could see a cool boxing game develop out of the Natal, that's about it though.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mordukai
    @JackiJinx said:
    It's not that hard to believe when looking over other such gaming pioneers like the Wii, harborer of such unique titles as Wii Fit and Wii Music.

I am going to take this comment as sarcasm. While I think Wii fit is a unique product i by no means consider it a video game. 
    My take about Milo...FIrst Pedo Load Shoot game.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By End_Boss
    @Mordukai said:
    " @JackiJinx said:
    It's not that hard to believe when looking over other such gaming pioneers like the Wii, harborer of such unique titles as Wii Fit and Wii Music.

I am going to take this comment as sarcasm. While I think Wii fit is a unique product i by no means consider it a video game. 
    My take about Milo...FIrst Pedo Load Shoot game.
    "
    Okay, the Milo joke has been made. It wasn't funny when it first came around, it ain't funny now. Let's move on.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Jimbo

Of course there will.  There will end up being conventions in how certain types of Full Body Motion Tracking games are played and created, and those conventions will define new genres.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jayge_
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Um, new genre isn't just putting them all in first person... Which you can already do with most of those genres you guys mentioned...I don't see what he sees for new genres, even Milo is a glorified tamagotchi... Maybe he just doesn't know what genres are out there so well?I mean, it's Molyneux... You can't count that out, sadly. "
    Are third person shooters not a different (admittedly, sub) genre from first-person shooters? Most enthusiasts consider 2d fighting games and 3d fighting games to be worlds apart. You can very easily create an entirely new class of games by switching the camera perspective. Just as easily, you can just be switching the camera perspective (see any western RPG). It's all about the implementation.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Al3xand3r

It's a description, not really a genre. They play very similarly. Battlefield Heroes is similar to first person shooters with the same characteristics. Rainbow Six Vegas combines both first and third person cam, Gears of War is third person but has similar elements, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is third person on console, first on PC, even "pure" first person shooters employ third person cam on occasion, like when piloting vehicles, etc... They're similar games, just classified differently on the camera difference alone. And like I said MMOs already allow for first person view so it's up to preference rather than a genre switch. And MMO adventures like someone else said don't need a new interface to be made, as both genres exist already, so they could be combined without Natal... I think they already have actually, Myst Online was it? Etc... So, okay, sometimes a genre may be defined by its camera, somewhat... But still it's not Natal that allows you to finally change the perspective...

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Jeust

Great advice though: "Write in the top of the piece of paper what you want people to feel when they interact with Natal."

And his ideas are convincing, but like the rest, the possibilities are probably more exciting than the reality that is going to be created.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " It's a description, not really a genre. They play very similarly. Battlefield Heroes is similar to first person shooters with the same characteristics. Rainbow Six Vegas combines both first and third person cam, Gears of War is third person but has similar elements, Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter is third person on console, first on PC, even "pure" first person shooters employ third person cam on occasion, like when piloting vehicles, etc... They're similar games, just classified differently on the camera difference alone. And like I said MMOs already allow for first person view so it's up to preference rather than a genre switch. And MMO adventures like someone else said don't need a new interface to be made, as both genres exist already, so they could be combined without Natal... I think they already have actually, Myst Online was it? Etc... So, okay, sometimes a genre may be defined by its camera, somewhat... But still it's not Natal that allows you to finally change the perspective... "
    They're not classified differently on camera alone. If you think so you haven't played enough of them.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Al3xand3r

Well obviously the gameplay changes since the camera is different... but you can have the same fundamentals with only the camera change affecting the gameplay (ie, looking around corners without sticking yourself out or leaning), and everything else COULD be more or less the same, even if it's not in the games we have so far... And games now employ both camera styles as I said, how do you define them differently? And anyway, Natal doesn't suddenly allow first person view in genres you couldn't have it before... Plus everything you quoted aside from the particular shooter distinction which was just an example... In other genres the differenses are even more minor... Ie, first person point & click adventures still are the same item/character/dialogue fests as they are when you can see your character on screen... Etc...

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jayge_
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Well obviously the gameplay changes since the camera is different... but you can have the same fundamentals with only the camera change affecting the gameplay (ie, looking around corners without sticking yourself out or leaning), and everything else COULD be more or less the same, even if it's not in the games we have so far... And games now employ both camera styles as I said, how do you define them differently? And anyway, Natal doesn't suddenly allow first person view in genres you couldn't have it before... Plus everything you quoted aside from the particular shooter distinction which was just an example... "
    Who knows. You don't. I don't. That's the point.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Al3xand3r

Molyneux surre as hell doesn't.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jayge_
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Molyneux surre as hell doesn't. "
    That's why we love him dearly.
    FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#23  Edited By FlipperDesert

Creepy boy sims will be the next big thing, trust me.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By natetodamax
    @FlipperDesert said:
    " Creepy boy sims will be the next big thing, trust me. "
    Haha, yes.
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jayge_
    @sidescroller said:
    " @Jayge said:
    " First-Person Fighting Games? "
    Zeno Clash?But otherwise, YES! "
    I was thinking more of the "you get to punch the fuck out of people yourself" type thing, but Zeno Clash is the closest analogue, yeah.
    lemon360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By lemon360

peter m is the biggest dumbass ive seen in my life omg a fucking monkey could scribble on paper eat it shit it out and THAT would be better than anything peter molester could think of. (sorry i was bored and felt like doing that)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.