Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Natal was on Jimmy Fallon tonight

Reynolds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Reynolds

And it actually looked pretty cool.  They played the dodgeball block smashing game, which looked the same as we've all seen already.  But they also played Burnout Paradise and Natal was able to see if the gas was being pushed, so it wasn't just moving at a constant speed, acceleration was possible!  I'm not necessarily interested in owning this, but it's definitely pretty cool.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By ez123

Yeah, it was cool and everyone seemed to be into it.  Kudo could have sounded like less of a salesman.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By m1k3

I still noticed it glitched out a little when jimmy stepped in during the ball demo. He swung at it and missed, and his arms and body kinda flailed around. John Krasinski was laughing in the background, and it looked like it was more about the glitch than jimmy missing the ball

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Cheapoz
    @Reynolds said:
    " And it actually looked pretty cool.  They played the dodgeball block smashing game, which looked the same as we've all seen already.  But they also played Burnout Paradise and Natal was able to see if the gas was being pushed, so it wasn't just moving at a constant speed, acceleration was possible!  I'm not necessarily interested in owning this, but it's definitely pretty cool. "
    It's not *exactly* acceleration. Apparently it's only set currently to register straight up on/off. So it's all gas, or or all brake.

The thing I can't stand about people talking about Natal is that it could replace controllers. It's neat they can show it working with a real game like Paradise. But I'm more excited about NEW games running on Natal. Not trying to replace the experience I have an enjoy with a new one.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#5  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Cheapoz said:
    "
    @Reynolds said:
    " And it actually looked pretty cool.  They played the dodgeball block smashing game, which looked the same as we've all seen already.  But they also played Burnout Paradise and Natal was able to see if the gas was being pushed, so it wasn't just moving at a constant speed, acceleration was possible!  I'm not necessarily interested in owning this, but it's definitely pretty cool. "
    It's not *exactly* acceleration. Apparently it's only set currently to register straight up on/off. So it's all gas, or or all brake.

The thing I can't stand about people talking about Natal is that it could replace controllers. It's neat they can show it working with a real game like Paradise. But I'm more excited about NEW games running on Natal. Not trying to replace the experience I have an enjoy with a new one.
    "
    Yeah... agreed. But maybe if a developer put a lot of time into patching their game to fully take advantage of Natal it could be cool. Probably a bad idea as it could waste too much time but just a thought.
    kraznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By kraznor

I loved how ridiculously psyched Jimmy Fallon was. He was just bouncing around like a kid in a candy store. Really great to see this on a major talk show.

thenexus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By thenexus
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZ5J4yXA5sM

Video of it for people.

Important Notes: The Jump suits were a gimmick done by the show not Microsoft (Talk of it not working without them apperently not true) & the dude wears glasses due to an eye problem he has with regard to light apparently

That thing is early days and it is easy to do forward and backwards with a step. It is all code I think from here on in with some tech tweaks. If it is that sensitive I doubt it will be hard to know how foward your foot is?
    Change gear should be straight forward.

If the tech is that responsive it is just a matter of coding the software to be accurate. I think when it is out and games come you will have some that work really well and others which are crap and it will be just down to developers. As they get the hang of it better and better games will come. This has been the case for the wii, (red steel anyone) and I am sure Sony will see the same, some crap some great.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.