Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

No voice control in europe?

KimParnage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By KimParnage

So i bought Kinect today, and i can not, for the life of me, get voice control to work! 
    a warning came up and said that my country did not support voice control, but does that mean i can't just use the english control phrases? 

I'm from denmark by the way.. 

Has anyone else had this problem? and if yes, where are you from? and if no, how the hell do i get it to work?

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By jimbo_n
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Dingofighter

Really? Well, that sucks.  Wasn't really thinking about buying Kinect, but still, if they couldn't be bothered to implement voice control for every language, I don't see why they felt the need to remove even the english voice control. 
    I mean, it's not like we swedes don't know english, so...

Avatar image for theseductivemoose
    TheSeductiveMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheSeductiveMoose
    @MaFoLu said:

" Really? Well, that sucks.  Wasn't really thinking about buying Kinect, but still, if they couldn't be bothered to implement voice control for every language, I don't see why they felt the need to remove even the english voice control. I mean, it's not like we swedes don't know english, so... "

Yea, I don't think I would have used Swedish even if it was an option. I have a feeling it would've sounded too ridicoulus.
    Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Anund

So stupid... Why disable English voice control? Baffling.

Tiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Tiz

So will they ever enable it in unsupported countries? I'm guessing Finnish will never be supported, so why can't we just use the English recognition now if it is ever going to be enabled? Nice to know that we still pay more fore less features..
    The whole thing about disabling it everywhere because of accents is just BS. They can never cover all accents from every supported area anyway. There are lots of people living in the supported areas that have moved over from abroad and speak with very thick accents. Many people living outside supported areas can speak the supported languages just as well, or even with those same accents.

They are probably trying to avoid complaints and such, but why not just have it off on default and the option to choose to use some of the implemented languages if the user so desires?

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @Tiz said:
    " So will they ever enable it in unsupported countries? "
    They're saying mainland Europe won't get it until Spring 2011.
    Tiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Tiz
    @Gamer_152 said:
    " @Tiz said:
    " So will they ever enable it in unsupported countries? "
    They're saying mainland Europe won't get it until Spring 2011. "
    Yea, but is that only France, Germany, etc. and in those languages? Or all countries and English language support for the countries where there will obviously not be any support with their own language (such as Finland)?
    jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jimbo_n

I cannot imagine them leaving out countries completely. Us scandinavians just might have to use English which is perfecly fine. Before I knew about this whole problem I didnt even try talking in Swedish. So I assumed it didnt work when it didnt recognize English.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SomeJerk

I can understand some languages not getting any support because [enter lots of linguist and computer-science research and documents here] but keeping a whole continent from using any English at all? That's a-holery and d-baggery unless there's a rational explanation for it. We pay more, we get less for Live, we pay more, we get less out of Kinect. Let's make our European voices heard once more - we are Sony's largest market, that was the first strike.

My phone can recognize my Swedish accent asking for a search of Kurzweil K2600 hardware specifications, Kinect damn well ought to be able to take "Xbox, play!" from any European.

Even you, Niko Bellic.

Raymayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Raymayne

No offence but it's probably because you have weird ass accents so it will take a while to get that up and running for mainland Europe.

jimbo_n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jimbo_n

I can only really speak for myself but I'm constantly mistaken for an american when speaking english with americans.  
    Also as somejerk pointed out it only needs to pick up Xbox Play and short commands like that and theres is not really much room for accent in that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.