Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

People realize Kinect is usually optional right?

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

Do people just not watch/listen? Going off of forums/twitter it's as if Mass Effect 3, Gears 3, Halo 4, Halo CE remake, MW3, Tomb Raider, Madden, Minecraft, Fifa, and future soldier were kinect only. /facepalm

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GunslingerPanda

It's more the fact that time is being wasted on kinect development and not good stuff.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By MysteriousBob

Its that Microsoft are pushing it as the be all and end all of video games when really its just a load of shite. Almost their entire conference was based around a device most people on this forum would never buy. Thats why they're pissed. I look forward to Mass Effect 3, but I want to know more about the shooting gameplay and story- not that I can choose menu options by speaking.

Kibblez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Kibblez

As usual, people focus on the negative rather than the positive. I get the disinterest for Kinect, but the vast majority of the "proper" games they shown looked very good indeed. And face it, the "people on this forum" would never buy Kinect regardless of what they put out for it.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By willin

People bitch about anything to every degree. Just let them bitch and moan about it while Microsoft rolls around in the cash.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#6  Edited By citizenkane

@MysteriousBob said:

Almost their entire conference was based around a device most people on this forum would never buy.

I guess someone should have told MS that Giant Bomb is the end all be all of video game business.

PizzaSauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PizzaSauce

It's not the point. The point is that the majority of the show was centered around a device alot of people coulndn't care less about. Hell that Star Wars and Fable gameplay looked absolutely awful and unresponsive. People are complaining because of the wasted potential going in to these games for kinect support that not many people want. I mean have you seriously ever thought whilst playing a game, 'hell it would be so much better if I could control this horse WITH MY HANDS!!!', and scream Lightsaber go at my television.

It's garbage.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By MysteriousBob
    @CitizenKane said:

@MysteriousBob said:

Almost their entire conference was based around a device most people on this forum would never buy.

I guess someone should have told MS that Giant Bomb is the end all be all of video game business.

I'm explaining the reaction on this forum, not everywhere. I guess it can be expanded to "most video game forums". I know Kinect has its market.
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowshi
    Aiming at a casual audience with their expensive console attachment is stupid.  Those people have Wiis and they are fine with it. 

This is all so stupid.  
    Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowshi

If the Kinect didn't exist, we might be playing an awesome Star Wars or Fable game. 

Instead we get on-rails bullshit that will be absolute rubbish with a controller.

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

Sadly they don't, or they choose to ignore it so they can make stupid comments.

imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By imsh_pl

They didn't show even one single exclusive that was neither a sequel nor Kinect based.

elcalavera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By elcalavera

They're too hardcore for Kinect.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By penguindust

Just out of curiosity, I was watching the show on SpikeTV and Pachter said that Microsoft needed to "bring it home to the hardcore" if their presentation was going to be considered successful, so I am wondering if any of the Kinect-enable games appeal to the Giant Bomb game enthusiast?  Were there any games shown today that would cause a avid video game player to pick up Kinect or play using Kinect.  I mean, that's kind of the whole point to this, isn't it?  What good is a feature that everyone turns off or ignores?

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mazik765

Wow, I actually really enjoyed the Microsoft conference until I came back to this website. You guys are fucking downers.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowshi
    @PenguinDust said:
    Just out of curiosity, I was watching the show on SpikeTV and Pachter said that Microsoft needed to "bring it home to the hardcore" if their presentation is going to be considered successful, so I am wondering if any of the Kinect-enable games appeal to the Giant Bomb game enthusiast?  Were there any games shown today that would cause a avid video game player to pick up Kinect or play using Kinect.  I mean, that's kind of the whole point to this, isn't it?  What good is a feature that everyone turns off or ignores?
    The gun-smithing sequence and voice commands in ME3 were pretty cool.  I wouldn't buy a kinect for it, but cool.
    Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By Simplexity

I wouldn't mind Kinect if the stuff it brings actually improve the game, as it stands it does not.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed
    @Meowshi said:
    @PenguinDust said:
    Just out of curiosity, I was watching the show on SpikeTV and Pachter said that Microsoft needed to "bring it home to the hardcore" if their presentation is going to be considered successful, so I am wondering if any of the Kinect-enable games appeal to the Giant Bomb game enthusiast?  Were there any games shown today that would cause a avid video game player to pick up Kinect or play using Kinect.  I mean, that's kind of the whole point to this, isn't it?  What good is a feature that everyone turns off or ignores?
    The gun-smithing sequence and voice commands in ME3 were pretty cool.  I wouldn't buy a kinect for it, but cool.
    I was thinking the direct opposite, who ever clapped during the gun smith stuff should be ashamed of them selves. But thats just my humble opinion.
    smackcalvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By smackcalvin

Kinect™ the next 3D™. RIP

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kristov_romanov

@mazik765 said:

Wow, I actually really enjoyed the Microsoft conference until I came back to this website. You guys are fucking downers.

I agree. I thought it was great. ME3 looks awesome and has subtle Kinect integration.

Halo 4, it's a new series of games from a partially new studio, but I am keen to see what this new trilogy holds.

I liked that it was a rapid-fire press briefing, not dwelling on anything for more than a minute or two.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Meowshi said:
    @PenguinDust said:
    I agree. Those two parts surprised me, but it's not enough to make me go buy Kinect.
    Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Lunar_Aura

I know Kinect is usually optional. I'm pissed that the Xbox 360 is something I own and is not giving me exclusive games catered to my tastes.

I whine and complain because I am a manchild. There, I said it. Happy? Unlike a child, my tempter tantrums usually are in the form of something called "voting with my wallet" and I know I am not alone.

babblinmule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24  Edited By babblinmule
    @mazik765 said:
    Same, I really do dislike my fellow hardcore gamers sometimes.
    YoungFrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By YoungFrey

I don't really worry that those developers are "wasting" time on Kinetic.  I would guess that Microsoft paid all of them some money to pay for that effort.  So ideally it won't detract from what they would have done without it.  Business doesn't really work that way, but it's better than saying "This must have Kinect.  End Transmission."  Kinect desperately needs to be interesting to gamers, and giving great companies a reason to develop for it sounds like a good way to get something gamers like.   

hexx462

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By hexx462

Like it or not a shit load of Kinects were sold. They now have to grasp onto the hardcore gamer with the product or it will suffer the fate of the Wii (huge install base, poor software sales). So nothing from this press conference is shocking at all. I really doubt this will make a huge mark on the overall quality of games that the average Giant Bomb user enjoys as it all seems to be bells and whistles. Other than Halo and Gears (and to some extent Fable) Microsoft doesn't have a whole lot of "must-have" exclusives for the 360 in the first place.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By Coombs

If you are a gamer (which all of us are) and you have a girlfriend/wife or kids then you should have a Kinect, 
    I know all I want out of my Kinect is menu controls and mini-games, Expecting anything else from a motion sensor is just stupid. 
    For those who don't have girlfriends/wives/kids, Go outside and get a life, Then use videogames to fill the downtime....  Not ALL the time 

And it seems there are MANY gamers with a girlfriend/wife/kids or just a ridiculous amount of "casual" gamers out there 
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12697975 

Kinect and all other motion devices are aimed at the "casual" and kids markets, And for good reason. 
    My son (who's 3) loves Kinect (Kinectimals ect) and my girlfriend loves it for the workout stuff (Zumba ect) 
    For me its just a mini-game / menu control device, And I can't see it ever being anything more until they create a effective VR visor to compliment it.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The point is: What's the fkin point? Kinect adds nothing to the experience.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By MrKlorox

Such people have no imagination, or just refuse to activate theirs. Fuckem. They're AI anyway.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By iamjohn

Well maybe if this Kinect stuff actually seemed worthwhile or like it added something of value to the games, people would like it. What's worthwhile about the Kinect support in Mass Effect or Ghost Recon?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.