Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Project Natal - Debunked

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gOVj_I5npA

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By buzz_clik

Uhhh... how is this video debunking it, exactly?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Snail
      For the lazy peeps.
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4  Edited By grilledcheez
    I_smell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By I_smell

God that's pretty desperate.

Lard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lard

Oh I'm not trying to bash it really, I just thought it was an interesting comparison.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @I_smell said:
    " God that's pretty desperate. "
    it wasn't desperate, it was an interesting comparison. 
    But we all know Natal is capable of much more. 
    The problem is- nobody really cared about those games after playing them once or twice. Just like all of the Natal games will be. 
    The only use of Natal (which is rumored to cost about $200) will be the basic stuff like it recognizing you when you turn it on and automatically logging you on XBL. And navigating menus with hands- which probably will be cool for about ten minutes and then you will want to use the controller again. 
    I'm awaiting more info on NATAL, but untill then, in all honesty the ball on stick that Sony showed off seemed way more interesting to me, a gamer, than Natal. 
    JokersWild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JokersWild
    "For the lazy peeps" thanks, they both do have the same basic concept but Natal seems way more advanced, utilized in more games (like burn out, skate), not just trivial games but only time will tell. Also XD at  "I sure like whacking balls"
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By Linkyshinks

Meh, we have a winner here.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By PercyChuggs

Everything has already been done before. Wii motion control? Go to any Wal Mart toy department and you'll find TV fishing games that did that 5 years ago.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @TwoOneFive said:
    "
    @I_smell said:
    " God that's pretty desperate. "
    it wasn't desperate, it was an interesting comparison. 
    But we all know Natal is capable of much more. 
    The problem is- nobody really cared about those games after playing them once or twice. Just like all of the Natal games will be. 
    The only use of Natal (which is rumored to cost about $200) will be the basic stuff like it recognizing you when you turn it on and automatically logging you on XBL. And navigating menus with hands- which probably will be cool for about ten minutes and then you will want to use the controller again. 
    I'm awaiting more info on NATAL, but untill then, in all honesty the ball on stick that Sony showed off seemed way more interesting to me, a gamer, than Natal. 
    "
    um...and project natal is capable of the ball and stick to a far better degree with eyetoy would be.
    rybodeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rybodeus

I personally like the article on IGN where they looked at project Natal, and saw how all the features it offered could be used in actual games. Some of the examples were turning your head to see behind you in a racing game, using facial recognition in games like mass effect to alter dialog option depending on your mood, and having your group thats onstage in rockband perfectly mimic the actions of those playing. The articles called "Post-E3 2009: The Benefits of Natal". I didn't want to post a link incase Giant Bomb frowns on that sort of thing.

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Wolverine

Yeah it is really capable of so much. It bothers me a lot when people compare it to the eye toy. This is far past that.

KikiWolfkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KikiWolfkill

Has everyone seen this one?

Seems to work pretty well... As long as you are wearing a bright red jumpsuit anyway...

Sorry bout the double....
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b45500a95f79
    deactivated-5b45500a95f79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it's debunked.  It common knowledge that the demo at e3 was controlled by engineers back stage.  Look up on kotaku for a recent interview with one of the lead designers, he says computers aren't even capable of doing that level of detection yet.  So he is excited by the challenge of making it work.  It's still an experiment that doesn't work yet.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By iam3green

pretty interesting, it's what people do,  they steal other people's ideas. they either make it better or it's just the same thing with a different name. they seem like the same thing.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By C0V3RT

Fact: Everything is an imitation of something except done better.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#19  Edited By TobyD81

That's not a debunking. They showed that both Eye Toy and Natal have cameras in them. The thing in Eyedentify isn't facial recognition, at least, not any further than recognizing that a face came into the camera's view. Natal aims to recognize and remember individual faces (we'll see if it actually works.) The body-capture stuff that was presented in the Eyetoy concept videos was actually being done live with Natal (again, we'll see how well that works when Natal is actually available.) And the rest was Natal's own concept video. The message I got from this is that Natal is actually capable of some of the things that Eyetoy hoped to achieve on PS2. That's good that the next generation of camera controls is an improvement over the previous generation.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.