Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

So I bought this awesome microphone... Kinect was it?

Grelik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Grelik

It has this weird camera attachment that apparently can track the movement of my hands and stuff... Don't know what's up with that, but its cool.

No but seriously... Anyone else noticing that much of the time the Kinect is mentioned and how it makes "core" games better, it's normally just voice commands? Even most of the Kinect UI stuff they're showing off is nothing more than voice commands. In particular a funny moment was when Geoff Keighley interviewed the Microsoft guy who was talking about how Kinect makes the Mass Effect 3 experience better, Geoff asks "Couldn't that just be done with a microphone though?" and the guy gets all butt hurt "Well, I GUESS." and continued to be ever so slightly sour the rest of the interview.

I'm not sure, but until they can find a way to make a good game that isn't on rails and allow you to somehow control the movement of your character effectively, I'm pretty sure you just bought yourself an expensive microphone.

Thoughts?

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By samfo

head tracking in forza - all the sports games it's been announced for, ghost recon...

do you actually have any examples apart from mass effect?

Wolverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine

@SamFo said:

head tracking in forza - all the sports games it's been announced for, ghost recon...

do you actually have any examples apart from mass effect?

I think the motion aspect of ghost recon actually looks harder than just using a controller. I enjoy my KInect because I can pause whatever I'm watching on Netflix with my voice so I can make a sandwich, but I find it useless for video games.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By GuyIncognito

Xbox, stop acting like a six year old console.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By Brendan

Motion controls will never be that comprehensive for most games, while gamepads will. Think of all the small things the fingers do at once, coordinating correctly to play a game. No one is ever going to make a motion control scheme that makes it effective and compelling to coordinate the whole body in such a way as too make a game with absolutely nothing taken away from the experience.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.