Surgeons use Kinect to speed up surgeries and maintain sterility

#1 Edited by FrankCanada97 (4039 posts) -

Looks like video game technology is being used in the professional world. Basically, the kinect allows the doctors to view medical images without using a computer. Before, when going to use a computer they had to sterilize their hands after each time. The Kinect saves time with its gesture based implementation. Though, sort of makes me wonder that it took a video-game peripheral to inspire engineers in the medical field.
LINK

#2 Posted by Red12b (9084 posts) -

that's cool, 

#3 Posted by James_ex_machina (905 posts) -

Oh Great... sorry we can't finish your surgery we just got 3 red lights 

LOL

#4 Posted by MikkaQ (10278 posts) -

It makes me wonder if Microsoft is going to be aggressive in defending it's patents when cheaper knock-off kinect style peripherals appear just for professional and enthusiast use. I think one's already in development that was shown at CES, so I dunno. 

But if this really becomes a useful professional tool, microsoft should jump at the opportunity and release an expensive professional grade one with the built-in processor that they took out of the console model. Higher resolution imaging too. So that fine movements can be detected and that technology's true usefulness shines through. Christ it's not like people are doing much with it games-wise, and this new unexpected market is potentially much bigger and more ambitious than anything games have to offer.

#5 Posted by MB (12201 posts) -

It's Minority Report.

#6 Posted by Leptok (942 posts) -

Kinect already helps maintain gamer sterility.

#7 Edited by JJWeatherman (14558 posts) -
@James_ex_machina said:

" Oh Great... sorry we can't finish your surgery we just got 3 red lights   LOL "

LOL indeed. That was pretty good.  xD 

Gives a whole new meaning to Red Light of Death.
#8 Posted by Rattle618 (1463 posts) -
@MB said:
" It's Minority Report. "
Not yet, but it's getting there, holographic 3D tech needs to step up and deliver.
#9 Posted by Wolverine (4281 posts) -
@MB said:
" It's Minority Report. "
It's even better than Minority Report, no stupid glowing blue gloves!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.