The folks at Destructoid didn't like the Microsoft Kinect show.

#1 Posted by MachoFantastico (4860 posts) -
#2 Posted by dantheman1515 (297 posts) -

Sometimes I think these journalists need to actually act their age. Wah, Wah, Wah, I got to see a free show performed by one of the biggest performance groups on Earth. Oh, how terrible. At least the duders found some humor and enjoyment from it. 

This is all just backlash, because they don't want to seem as if they aren't hardcore by liking anything Kinect related.

#3 Posted by damswedon (3200 posts) -

Wah we go to see a free show by cirque du soleil and now were are going to winge about it because we need to prove that we are hardcore.

#4 Posted by Superfriend (1578 posts) -

Honestly, most of the destructoid staff seem to be waaay up their own asses. Jim Sterling´s stuff might be funny to read once in a while, but their constant bitching about everything is really pissing me off. I wouldnt invite a guy like Sterling to this kind of event, unless I want that sort of reaction.

#5 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -

Or Microsoft could have made this thing cool and not completely cornball.

#6 Posted by endaround (2147 posts) -

Imagine that! Jim Sterling wrote something stupid!

#7 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

Yeah whatever. Everyone at Destructoid are fucking asshats.

#8 Edited by ChristianCastillo (1178 posts) -

lol I tried to watch the video with an open mind but then remembered I don't care what the people at Destructoid say, they have no credibility in what they say and just say shiit to get attention.

#9 Edited by Scrumdidlyumptious (1641 posts) -

I enjoyed his rant. Probably because that was my first Jim Sterling experience, so I haven't been as overexposed to him as others have been.

#10 Edited by Rmack (1078 posts) -
"Destructoid didn't like"

OH WORD?!
#11 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

So if they had said "We didn't like it, except the part where it was free" everything would have been alright? 
sure, because if it's free it's got to be amazing! right? 
Fucking tools

#12 Posted by Zero_ (1977 posts) -

Okay I hate Destructoid and Jim Sterling, but I ... kind of... found it.... ARRGGHHH I CAN"T SAY IT

#13 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -

Jim Sterling doesn't like anything. Why should this be any different? 

Personally I put Destructoid on the the same level as Kotaku. I can't understand why anyone visits either of those sites. 

#14 Posted by 71Ranchero (2795 posts) -

Destructoid is the ass end of games journalism and Jim Sterling is the excrement.  

Sorry, just needed to share.

#15 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

Lots of Destructoid hate. Not really surprised. Anyway, the rant was entertaining. But now that they hated Kinect they're assholes who don't like anything? I remember shit tons of Kinect hate/pessimism from these very forums. Are the forums full of asshats? (Wait, don't answer that)

#16 Posted by Hats (360 posts) -

I also hate circus's and the French so I can get behind this Jihad, also people walking into the crowd getting in your face is the worst THE WORST!

#17 Posted by seanvail99 (130 posts) -

Unwatchable.

#18 Posted by Boiglenoight (537 posts) -

Destructoid reaps what it sows: negativity.  Jim Sterling trolls for comments in his writing, especially. 

That said, Kinect looks like a waste of everyone's time at the moment.  Maybe a developer will do something really cool with it.

#19 Posted by schizogony (975 posts) -
@FakePlasticTree said:
" Jim Sterling doesn't like anything. Why should this be any different?  Personally I put Destructoid on the the same level as Kotaku. I can't understand why anyone visits either of those sites.  "
Jim Sterling loved Deadly Premonition enough to call it the best game this gen.
#20 Posted by Red12b (9086 posts) -

Holy shit that guy is HUGE,  
jees, funny but dude, it's just a bloody show...

#21 Posted by FakePlasticTree (449 posts) -
@schizogony said:
" @FakePlasticTree said:
" Jim Sterling doesn't like anything. Why should this be any different?  Personally I put Destructoid on the the same level as Kotaku. I can't understand why anyone visits either of those sites.  "
Jim Sterling loved Deadly Premonition enough to call it the best game this gen. "
Of course he did. He likes to think he is controversial and against the grain. He just comes across as a twat though. 
#22 Posted by Lautaro (448 posts) -

I have no interest in Cirque De Soleil or Kinect, I can DEFINITELY see where these guys are coming from on this. Microsofts smarmy attitude in regards to all this crap has also annoyed me.

#23 Posted by Mono_Listo (430 posts) -

It sounded like the, exhibition(?), would have been interesting.

#24 Posted by Gamer_152 (14099 posts) -

Dale North was by far the worst part of this video. His loud, obnoxious ranting wasn't funny, it just made him look like a jackass, what the hell did he expect from a Microsoft Cirque du Soleil event?

#25 Posted by Bluethunder35 (337 posts) -

Jim Sterling is approaching Gabe Newell territory in regards to weight. 

Yeah, I don't know why Destructoid and Kotaku are popular sites. I guess there are a lot of nerds with no lives away from their PC.

#26 Edited by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

Ryan did say that a lot of the attendees in the press were going to be dumping on the show in the upcoming days. From the sound of it, the show really smacked of showboating, and exageration. Yes, it might have been fun as a show. However, all of the industry people were smart enough to notice the difference between a good show and something with actual content. Ryan and Vinny both repeatedly said the show said nothing about Kinect.

#27 Posted by Jadeskye (4368 posts) -

Very elitist. Unnessesery. I would have liked to have seen it.

#28 Posted by Rhaknar (5939 posts) -

I'm not gonna defend the show, but there seems to be a "im too cool for this casual shit" vibe going on in the press (and forums, but thats expected)

#29 Posted by OllyOxenFree (4980 posts) -

Goddamn Jim Sterling is huuuuuuge.

#30 Posted by bhhawks78 (1207 posts) -

From the bombers description even if I got in free I would have walked out unless it was part of my job like them.  All this shitty motion control and 3d bullshit is making me just laugh and cringe.

Also "Kinect didn't connect" X a million on twitter

#31 Posted by Gaff (1848 posts) -

I shut down the video after I had a good look at Jim's shades. I understand why people didn't like it ("Let's book the most mainstream 'artists' for the most hardcore of journalists! That'll connect  -sorry, Kinect!- to the mainstream audience we're trying to get!") but going for full dismemberment while everyone is already going for the jugular just makes you look like a psychopath: Strangely enough, this holds true for both Microsoft and Destructoid.

#32 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

That was pretty damn funny.

#33 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

Once again, I don't think it is elitist for most of the industry guys to no dig the show. Their job is to report on actual content. The show gave them no information. It was a show and had no substance or new info. If you watch the GB video, the guys got pretty excited about the little video game previews that were shown. Everyone has to realize that video game reviewers are at E3 to do a job first, and have fun second. It's a lot different from what any of us regular joes would do if we could sneak into E3. They see a billion examples of hype with no substance in any given year. Why should this show be judged any differently?

#34 Posted by djaoni (338 posts) -
They're obviously too hardcore playing hardcore games like MW2, Gears of War and Halo.
#35 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -

They never like anything. And the reason they don't like anything is for humor. Except they're not funny and try too hard, so its painful.

#36 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -

From the sounds of the show, it's nothing but a big, showy, ploy to try and convince the mainstream media and audience (who don't actually play games but maybe who's kids do) that "Kinect" is the biggest and most important technological innovation ever.

Would you prefer it if the people in the actual gaming press bought into this dumb song and dance and not try and look past the "show" and look for the real life gaming use and also interpret Microsoft's motivation for having this ridiculous show with Cirque De Soleil which seems to be nothing more than having a flashy and elaborate advertisement for why "Kinect" is the biggest and best thing in the history of forever.

Frankly, I want the gaming press to be skeptical and cynical, and not buying into hype and flashy distractions.

#37 Posted by bhhawks78 (1207 posts) -
@danimal_furry said:
" Once again, I don't think it is elitist for most of the industry guys to no dig the show. Their job is to report on actual content. The show gave them no information. It was a show and had no substance or new info. If you watch the GB video, the guys got pretty excited about the little video game previews that were shown. Everyone has to realize that video game reviewers are at E3 to do a job first, and have fun second. It's a lot different from what any of us regular joes would do if we could sneak into E3. They see a billion examples of hype with no substance in any given year. Why should this show be judged any differently? "
It's how the internet works, Motion controls come and are honestly bad but do very well financially so the internet hates them, then the equivalent of corporate white knights come out and backlash against the 3d/motion backlash.

Happens with everything that makes ton of money in tech.  Avatar/wii/apple makes 9876789876 infinity money, bunch of people go "lol why it sucks/overpriced/etc" backlash to backlash "you just hate the future and what's popular" etc etc every month or so.
#38 Posted by ryanwho (12082 posts) -
@JokerSmilez said:
"   Frankly, I want the gaming press to be skeptical and cynical, and not buying into hype and flashy distractions. "
I'm sure you'd love them to do that about the games you're interested in. They won't, lucky you, so you never have to face how hypocritical you are. 
#39 Posted by TheKing (844 posts) -

Remember when Destructoid was relevant? God damn, that seems like forever ago now!

#40 Posted by JokerSmilez (1293 posts) -
@ryanwho said:
" @JokerSmilez said:
"   Frankly, I want the gaming press to be skeptical and cynical, and not buying into hype and flashy distractions. "
I'm sure you'd love them to do that about the games you're interested in. They won't, lucky you, so you never have to face how hypocritical you are.  "
How am I hypocritical?
#41 Posted by 71Ranchero (2795 posts) -
@TheKing said:
" Remember when Destructoid was relevant? God damn, that seems like forever ago now! "
oops. That must have been that time I blinked. 
#42 Posted by danimal_furry (1453 posts) -

I think Jeff hit it on the nose when he said the whole thing sounded like some boardroom thought this whole thing was an awesome idea. Since it wasn't in Vegas where they would drag everyone to a show, they brought the Vegas performance to LA. And the name of the device, Kinect, doesn't exactly sound like it was thought of by a developer. Lastly, if a developer was going to market this device, they would have had more actual real usage. Instead, it got a broadway production type showcase, with a focus on family time and not gamers.

#43 Posted by Slurpelve (616 posts) -

I hate the name "Kinect",I would rather have the name "Project Natal" its way better.

#44 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Jim Sterling is a dumbass.

#45 Posted by ProfessorEss (7469 posts) -

Ugh, I can't remember the last time I was able to get to the end of a Destructoid video.

Irritating. I cannot understand how people find them humorous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.