Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Thinking of buying Kinect

restragularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By restragularman

So, I've thought about getting the Kinect, for interest in the technology rather than any of the games that are out. If anything, I'd be getting Dance Central, and Kinectimals looks interesting as well (if not a total ripoff). But I wonder, I've got less than five feet from the front of my TV stand to my couch, how well could the Kinect work if they want six feet. Anybody test this out yet? Give it a shot, someone!

restragularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By restragularman

So, I've thought about getting the Kinect, for interest in the technology rather than any of the games that are out. If anything, I'd be getting Dance Central, and Kinectimals looks interesting as well (if not a total ripoff). But I wonder, I've got less than five feet from the front of my TV stand to my couch, how well could the Kinect work if they want six feet. Anybody test this out yet? Give it a shot, someone!

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By toowalrus

I've heard there's not a lot of wiggle room when it comes to space, but I haven't tried it yet, so I can't be sure.

I am down with the technology though, I think it's amazing. It's just the games that are stopping me from buying one right now, not a single one interests me.

I wish they would update older games to take advantage of the jump-in jump-out capabilities of the Kinect, though. Like if I could be sitting on my couch playing Dead Rising of Fable, and my buddy sits down next to me with a controller, it could automatically recognize him, log him in and pop him up in the screen with me, or in a game like Halo, which could automatically transition into split-screen.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3  Edited By rjaylee
    @restragularman: Watch all the quick looks on the new Kinect games.

They've consistently found that the 6 feet is a bare minimum that is absolutely required. There's not much compromise if you don't have that kind of space for many of the games.
    abdo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By abdo

Don't do it man. At least wait until the price falls, or until it gets better games. One or two games don't really justify such a huge investment.

takua108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By takua108

Yeah I was thinking about getting one too (after installing the dashboard update, seeing the new "Kinect Settings" panel and being like "gah, I must have this technology what with to access this"), but then I realized 

1. My dorm room, while relatively spacious, is far too small for what Kinect requires
    2. $150-200 what
    ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By ProfessorEss

I dunno, even if you could get it working, I'm not convinced it would be particularly fun to play in a "minimum space" type of situation.

It's a shame that there's no way to know for sure how it will work in your room without shelling out the cash.

restragularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By restragularman
    @heatDrive88:  I watched most (if not all) of the quick looks, and didn't notice them talking about a specific distance. But this is a good point.
    restragularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By restragularman
    @TooWalrus:   
    Two things: 
    1) Could you try it when you next get the chance (I'm assuming you own it)? It'd be good information for the community, as well as myself. 
    2) From a developer's standpoint, there is no possibility of older games getting Kinect support like you're thinking. Firstly, adding a feature like automatic split-screen might very well require a complete overhaul of their multilayer and display code. Second, you'd have to make sure the Kinect could reliably notice your friend, as it could be a very large inconvenience for a friend (or lack thereof) popped in and out of your game. Finally, there's commercially no reason to support the addition of Kinect features in older games, as the added features would sell negligible copies of the game.
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By bigsmoke77

I have Kinect and to play the games you need at least 6 feet and I play around 7 feet for dance central and kinect adventures.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By toowalrus
    @restragularman Ok, maybe I should have said "for future games" instead of for older games. It's really the idea of jump-in jump-out I think could still be useful in non-motion based games, even if it's not feasible to implement into older games.
    restragularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By restragularman

@bigsmoke77: Thanks for the info!

JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By JoeyIA

The 6' - 8' you need for Kinect doesn't have to be horizontal, the higher you place the sensor the closer you can be to the TV. 

No Caption Provided
    StrikeALight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By StrikeALight

If you could somehow maximize your living space to get Kinect to work, then maybe it would be worth the investment. I've decided to wait a couple more months until the hardware proves itself to be more than a mini-games peripheral.

Dance Central does look fun, though.

restragularman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By restragularman
    @JoeyIA:  I friggn' love that picture!
    JoeyIA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By JoeyIA
    @restragularman: :D
    ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ninjakiller

NO.................................DON'T DO IT. 

Lanceuppercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By Lanceuppercut
    @JoeyIA: That's what I did with mine, I mounted it on a shelf about two foot above the TV works great and looks pretty cool to boot.
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bigsmoke77
    @restragularman:  I do have the sensor below my TV and I just tried putting it on the top of my cabinet which was about 4.2 feet above the ground and then i measured 4.5 feet away from the TV and played poker face in dance central and it was just able to pick me out but the top box that shows you was red, i.e. it was telling you to back up and during a part of the song it told me to back up. you would not be able to play kinect adventures two player for sure and other games such as dance central you might be able to get away with it, can you move your couch? lol
    osuzoo08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By osuzoo08

if you can get it up high like in that pic. I have mine resting on top on my  center speaker for my surround sound. my tv is wall mounted so its the best place for it. 

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Rattle618

Im really tempted to get one too, but like everyone said already, there just arent any games worth the investment yet...

sarahsdad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 21

#21  Edited By sarahsdad
    @bigsmoke77: When you had the sensor lower down, was it telling you to be much further back than the 4.5 feet you were able to do with Kinect above the TV?
    bigsmoke77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By bigsmoke77

Oh yeah, you needed to be like 6-7 feet back

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.