Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

Tried Kinect at FanExpo! and other stuff as well...

Avatar image for deactivated-608a5477560df
    deactivated-608a5477560df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

At FanExpo in Toronto this past weekend I had the chance to try out a few things coming out soon to the videogame market. I got to try a few independent games for the PC as well as Halo Reach. More importantly however I tried out Kinect and PlayStation Move.  I was a skeptic when it came to Kinect as a controller is the way to play a game in my mind, but after trying Kinect out for the first time, my thoughts have changed. Despite still looking like a total fool while playing I was having fun playing the few mini games they had. There was very little if any lag when it came to response time and it could follow your movement no matter what you would do. I could really see the appeal this would have at a party where you didn't have to keep switching off controllers and syncing. The Move was also very responsive but to me it just felt like the Wii mote I haven't picked up in about a year and a half. It is a nice looking piece of hardware, I didn't even mind the glowing ball on the end but it just seems out dated and falling behind the competition. Kinect at its price still will cost less than getting the required hardware to have 2 people play a Move game which is always a bonus in my books. Reach was looking very pretty but I'm still not a huge halo fan and may wait to pick it up if at all. (did not pick-up ODST) That weekend I got to browse thousands of comics and check out some intense cosplay as well as see some famous people such as the legendary Stan Lee!  I may link my youtube channel to this blog so once the video I took are up you can check them out!  

Leave you with a question or two! 
    Have you ever tried Kinect, and if so how did you feel about it? 
    and second, 
    Ever been to a Comic-Con like gathering and if so whats you're favourite part about it? ( mines the revealing cosplay as well as the big sponsored booths that hand out free swag!) 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At FanExpo in Toronto this past weekend I had the chance to try out a few things coming out soon to the videogame market. I got to try a few independent games for the PC as well as Halo Reach. More importantly however I tried out Kinect and PlayStation Move.  I was a skeptic when it came to Kinect as a controller is the way to play a game in my mind, but after trying Kinect out for the first time, my thoughts have changed. Despite still looking like a total fool while playing I was having fun playing the few mini games they had. There was very little if any lag when it came to response time and it could follow your movement no matter what you would do. I could really see the appeal this would have at a party where you didn't have to keep switching off controllers and syncing. The Move was also very responsive but to me it just felt like the Wii mote I haven't picked up in about a year and a half. It is a nice looking piece of hardware, I didn't even mind the glowing ball on the end but it just seems out dated and falling behind the competition. Kinect at its price still will cost less than getting the required hardware to have 2 people play a Move game which is always a bonus in my books. Reach was looking very pretty but I'm still not a huge halo fan and may wait to pick it up if at all. (did not pick-up ODST) That weekend I got to browse thousands of comics and check out some intense cosplay as well as see some famous people such as the legendary Stan Lee!  I may link my youtube channel to this blog so once the video I took are up you can check them out!  

Leave you with a question or two! 
    Have you ever tried Kinect, and if so how did you feel about it? 
    and second, 
    Ever been to a Comic-Con like gathering and if so whats you're favourite part about it? ( mines the revealing cosplay as well as the big sponsored booths that hand out free swag!) 

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bionicicide
    @Gellrock said:

" I could really see the appeal this would have at a party where you didn't have to keep switching off controllers and syncing. "

Doesn't the Kinect camera need to identify your body before you begin playing? eg: How long did it take for it?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bionicicide:  Load time was quite fast, basically las fast as any other party game. And by the time it loaded i was ready to go. There was no screen popup that said syncing body or anything so It must be done very fast. You don't even need to stand in a particular way for it to sync. when it started the game is was turned sideways and waving my hands around and it picked me up while waving my hands and looking sideways. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and forgot to mention meeting pure pwnage as well as Victor Lucas!  such an awesome weekend. Looking forward to see what games will come out that aren't party oriented and how they fair with the Kinect support.

FinalCut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#5  Edited By FinalCut

I tried it there as well, though I was thoroughly unimpressed. I found noticeable lag and some bland games, but to each his own. I won't be getting it for a long while, and that's IF ( a pretty big if at that)  they can make it so it works in a smaller space because as of right now it can't work anywhere in my house, not to mention the price, for maybe one game I may only play for an evening. I hope Microsoft can repurpose this technology because it seems more suited for PC use than on a console.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@John117: the games weren't that amazing but they have to get people used to the hardware first as well as the developers. And yes I agree that  I won't get it at the beginning but as soon as some promising use other than minigames comes along then for sure. The idea for looking around in the driver seat to help see around corners and your mirrors is a great feature that i hope they keep up with games in the future.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By mazik765

I tried it out with @Gellrock and I pretty much mirror everything he said. There was very little lag or wait t all for the kinect games to load. I don't think I would ever use it by myself but zooming right past Gellrock at the last minute to beat him in the racing game was pretty awesome :P. The game's are certainly designed for a partyy environment. 

The Move was pretty much the Wii. It was slightly more responsive and the table tennis game we played as quite fun, but in the end it just felt like playing a prettier version of Wii Sports. 

Halo: Reach was great. I'm biased because I'm a big Halo guy but Gellrock will back me up when I say Reach looks gorgeous. I've heard a couple people say that the game looks like a recycled version of the Halo 3 engine (e.g. ODST) but this is just wrong. The game looked stunning throughout the few minutes of firefight I got to play.  It only increased my excitement for this game, which admittedly had been pretty low.

On another note: The GiantBomb crew should send someone to FanExpo 2011! Don't your Canadian fans deserve so love?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.