Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

What if Natal worked with props?

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

Edited By Stahlbrand

Okay, I've haven't been sold on Natal yet.  I'm intrigued by the possibilities, but given what little we've heard, I am not optimistic overall.

One thing occurred to me today, looking at the image on the front page of a wii-mote SMG that looks like a CZ 75 machine pistol....  What if Natal could scan and track props?  Is waving a plastic gun at the screen less lame than waving your fingers around?  I would say; yes, by a hair.

But if the promo videos and demos they've shown are to be believed at face value, there is no reason that it couldn't.  Perhaps the orange tip on plastic guns sold in North America could come to some good (besides, you know, not getting kids shot by trigger happy cops as often).  Maybe a few small reflective stickers on any long object (metre stick, plastic sword, cardboard tube) could create a Natal-traceable sword.

If you think about that in the context of a game like Force Unleashed where hand gesturing for force lightning and waving around a cardboard tube (or Force FX over-priced plastic light sabre) could actually be kind of neat.  Still not sure how you make a compelling game without traditional controller inputs for walking and jumping, but I'll hope the guys paid to solve such problems can come up with a solution.

Anyway, if they show something like this next week, I'm giving myself a hearty pat on the back.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Stahlbrand

Okay, I've haven't been sold on Natal yet.  I'm intrigued by the possibilities, but given what little we've heard, I am not optimistic overall.

One thing occurred to me today, looking at the image on the front page of a wii-mote SMG that looks like a CZ 75 machine pistol....  What if Natal could scan and track props?  Is waving a plastic gun at the screen less lame than waving your fingers around?  I would say; yes, by a hair.

But if the promo videos and demos they've shown are to be believed at face value, there is no reason that it couldn't.  Perhaps the orange tip on plastic guns sold in North America could come to some good (besides, you know, not getting kids shot by trigger happy cops as often).  Maybe a few small reflective stickers on any long object (metre stick, plastic sword, cardboard tube) could create a Natal-traceable sword.

If you think about that in the context of a game like Force Unleashed where hand gesturing for force lightning and waving around a cardboard tube (or Force FX over-priced plastic light sabre) could actually be kind of neat.  Still not sure how you make a compelling game without traditional controller inputs for walking and jumping, but I'll hope the guys paid to solve such problems can come up with a solution.

Anyway, if they show something like this next week, I'm giving myself a hearty pat on the back.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This is something they demonstrated with Milo, scanning in an object that the game could then recognise.
    The demonstrations even went as far to be able to determine what colour shirt users were using, so it's certainly possible.

People have been using complaints against Natal, such as a racing game would be tiring because you'd have to hold your hands out while holding nothing, but there'd be no reason you couldn't pick up something simple like the Wii Mario Kart wheel and use that to steer.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Stahlbrand

@WinterSnowblind

Yeah, thats what I was thinking.  I just wonder if a Natal game will ever instruct the player to 'find something sword-like' as opposed to 'wave your hands like you're holding a sword'. 

I guess we'll learn more soon anyways.  If developers don't find interesting ways to use this new hardware that is categorically different from what we view as Wii-waggle, it will be dead in the water.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Of course there'll be that kind of stuff with Natal.  Perhaps some games will even come with accessories themselves, so you don't have to provide one yourself.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By jakob187

If Natal works with props, then I guess we'll have a new addition to the dildo page.

Stahlbrand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stahlbrand

Dildo-based Natal games would, I imagine, have a hard time making it through cert, to say nothing of the ESRB.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By c1337us
    @jakob187 said:
    " If Natal works with props, then I guess we'll have a new addition to the dildo page. "
    I will give new meaning to the term button mashing.
    George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By George_Hukas
    @FluxWaveZ said:
    " Of course there'll be that kind of stuff with Natal.  Perhaps some games will even come with accessories themselves, so you don't have to provide one yourself. "

I would totally buy a game if it came with a gun.. like Lethal Enforcers HD Remix or something

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.