Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

What the Kinect takes away from video games + Omegle The Review.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

Edited By turboman

IT'S LIKE IT'S TWO BLOGS IN ONE BLOG.

Serious Business:

(quick note: this is all from an outsiders perspective. I have not played with a Kinect yet, just have seen it do it's thing)  

Kinect seems like a weird thing to put out in the first place, and after watching all of the games being demonstrated yesterday on Giant Bomb's live feed, I really have no clue why Microsoft would even attempt to put it out (other than to cash in on the whole "FUTURE OF GAMING" market that Nintendo has a hold of). Yes, it's a really cool piece of hardware. When Jeff and Ryan got it to boot up for the first time and the Kinect automatically was able to identify them just by looking at them, I had the same feeling that they had, which was "Wow, this is cool as hell". But after a while, game by game you were able to see that this piece of hardware isn't going to go anywhere in the gaming world. 

I've thought a bit about why it won't, and the idea that I keep on thinking about is that Kinect removes a key element from gaming. Without any controller in your hand, you lose the ability to explore environments effectively. Exploration is one of the key elements of video games that separates it from other sources of entertainment. With this gone, the only thing the Kinect has to offer is niche games(Dance Central) or on-rails adventures, which can be amazingly well produced, but in the long run it will become a crutch that developers have to make games within. 

Above is one of the announcement trailers for Kinect, and I've talked about how awful it looked before. The main idea behind my argument in the past was that it looked like you would just swing your arms around for about 10 seconds, magically "whoosh" up about 50 feet, rinse and repeat. You're not exploring an area, you're being limited to a little box in a game that looks like it has no sense of controls. (I know that it's just concept footage, but you get my point hopefully). 

I tend to not give a shit about things like this, but after what has been presented yesterday and what I've read, Kinect just seems like a waste of money and time for Microsoft. I wish people the best of luck to Microsoft and the developers spending money for this thing, but I'm going to play real games... with controllers. 

Not So Serious Business:

OMEGLE THE REVIEW: KINECT EDITION 

I'm tired of all these "Game Journalists" reviewing the Kinect and calling it a piece of crap. Their opinions do not matter, what matters is the opinions of the common consumers... which is I why go to Omegle for all of my gaming reviews.     

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By turboman

IT'S LIKE IT'S TWO BLOGS IN ONE BLOG.

Serious Business:

(quick note: this is all from an outsiders perspective. I have not played with a Kinect yet, just have seen it do it's thing)  

Kinect seems like a weird thing to put out in the first place, and after watching all of the games being demonstrated yesterday on Giant Bomb's live feed, I really have no clue why Microsoft would even attempt to put it out (other than to cash in on the whole "FUTURE OF GAMING" market that Nintendo has a hold of). Yes, it's a really cool piece of hardware. When Jeff and Ryan got it to boot up for the first time and the Kinect automatically was able to identify them just by looking at them, I had the same feeling that they had, which was "Wow, this is cool as hell". But after a while, game by game you were able to see that this piece of hardware isn't going to go anywhere in the gaming world. 

I've thought a bit about why it won't, and the idea that I keep on thinking about is that Kinect removes a key element from gaming. Without any controller in your hand, you lose the ability to explore environments effectively. Exploration is one of the key elements of video games that separates it from other sources of entertainment. With this gone, the only thing the Kinect has to offer is niche games(Dance Central) or on-rails adventures, which can be amazingly well produced, but in the long run it will become a crutch that developers have to make games within. 

Above is one of the announcement trailers for Kinect, and I've talked about how awful it looked before. The main idea behind my argument in the past was that it looked like you would just swing your arms around for about 10 seconds, magically "whoosh" up about 50 feet, rinse and repeat. You're not exploring an area, you're being limited to a little box in a game that looks like it has no sense of controls. (I know that it's just concept footage, but you get my point hopefully). 

I tend to not give a shit about things like this, but after what has been presented yesterday and what I've read, Kinect just seems like a waste of money and time for Microsoft. I wish people the best of luck to Microsoft and the developers spending money for this thing, but I'm going to play real games... with controllers. 

Not So Serious Business:

OMEGLE THE REVIEW: KINECT EDITION 

I'm tired of all these "Game Journalists" reviewing the Kinect and calling it a piece of crap. Their opinions do not matter, what matters is the opinions of the common consumers... which is I why go to Omegle for all of my gaming reviews.     

GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By GregariousGreg

I've always thought they could make a decent kinect game if the game had you use both the controller and kinect 

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman

Christ there's some freaky ass people on Omegle. I think my favorite was smoking mustache man. He was a thinker. 

I'm going to continue playing real games... with controllers, too. Mostly because I can't afford a Kinect though.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By turboman
    @FizzleNizzleBear: yeah, but  I don't know how you would combine those two in a game at the same time without making it seem forced.
    Bobdaman18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Bobdaman18

Nice post.  I agree that it will probably only offer some nice niche gaming experiences.  I really want dance central but i cant imagine anything else that could be released on kinect that i'd care about.  Also, that omegle review was amazing, i'd like to see more like that.
    ZoomyRamen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By ZoomyRamen

Now that all the reviews are out, I don't know whether Microsoft will be pleased or not, sure its been well reviewed and competent but most agree it's not that game changer and it won't remove the controller any time soon. For my money, I'd rather have the PSmove over kinect. 

P.s Mustache man was epic.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HS21

You need to get back on Omegle for as long as it takes to find pondering mustache man again. I must know his thoughts on the Kinect.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By turboman
    @HS21: I think it was clear that it was too hard of a question for him to answer... he stealthifully snuck his hand to his mouse just to hit the next button. 

I don't think he was a big fan of Kinectimals.
    W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

I think the moustacheod gentleman  stole my soul.

HS21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HS21
    @TurboMan: I can kinda see why. You should have introduced him to horse.
    GregariousGreg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By GregariousGreg
    @TurboMan: I would point out that you could say that most motion stuff feels forced
    turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turboman
    @FizzleNizzleBear: touche
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jimbo

This is why I wanna see how much use can be made of Kinect in conjunction with a pad.  Is the headtracking accurate enough to reasonably mimic what TrackIR can achieve in something like Arma 2?  If so, that's potentially a pretty big step forward for FPS gaming.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By TwoOneFive

you're implying the critics aren't human at all and we shouldn't trust their opinions on anything. 

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turboman
    @Jimbo: I doubt it can be that deadly accurate without you having to wear those crazy glasses. Maybe enough to get a general sense of direction like the Forza demo showed off, but not enough that you wanna act like your forehead controls the crosshairs 

that's just me guessing.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Claude

It doesn't seem to be going well. I want Move, and a PS3, but as the holidays approach, I'm not seeing much about Move. Kinect just launched and yet, I still don't see any big holiday releases other than the launch titles. Even the Wii is slowing down. Maybe my motion fanboy ways is starting to fall behind the times. Next year, yeah, next year.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By HandsomeDead

It's basically my problem with the Wiimote taken to the ultimate level: No buttons limits what a person can do to interact with the world and even if you were to replace the button presses with gestures, you're literally changing nothing, just replacing one scheme with another in a way that is unlikely to effect the game itself.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By turboman
    @Claude: For the Move, I can see that wizard game being cool.. that's more I can say than the Kinect atleast 

C'mon Claude, I thought you loved your God Damned Wii.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By Claude
    zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zityz

I watched that entire Stream yesterday on the Kinect. From what I watched, none of that seams to make it worth the purchase. I'd rather wait until more games come out or until it get updates or something because some of that stuff seams to be very unresponsive, not to mention slower than actually pressing a couple buttons. 

I do not think its worth a purchase. Even with Dance Central doesn't seam like its worth $200 for a Kinect, an adventure game you can blow through in maybe a couple hours and a game that has only 32 songs.  

However, it does have potential. Seeing that Adrenaline Misfits gets me hopping there will be a new SSX tricky or Snowboard Kids.

zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By zityz

I watched that entire Stream yesterday on the Kinect. From what I watched, none of that seams to make it worth the purchase. I'd rather wait until more games come out or until it get updates or something because some of that stuff seams to be very unresponsive, not to mention slower than actually pressing a couple buttons. 

I do not think its worth a purchase. Even with Dance Central doesn't seam like its worth $200 for a Kinect, an adventure game you can blow through in maybe a couple hours and a game that has only 32 songs.  

However, it does have potential. Seeing that Adrenaline Misfits gets me hopping there will be a new SSX tricky or Snowboard Kids.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By monetarydread

As someone who drank the kool-aid and bought a Kinect I can say that it is a gimmick. Unfortunately for the haters though, this gimmick is not only fun, it demo's extremely well (when it is set up right).  Everyone in my family, and inner-circle of friends went ape-shit over this toy and I know that my parents and my friend Justin already picked up copies because of my demoing it to them.

Now, most self-labeled hardcore gamers will cringe at this mention, but, why do you feel entitled to everything? Why can't something just not be for you? Maybe, it is the fact that I am nearly thirty years old and have a significant other, but the fun we have had with this system in one day has already payed for itself. 

I think the real future for Kinect lies in Non-Games. Take Your Shape, this isn't trying to replace games, it's trying to replace workout DVD's and it proves that in the future this tech could replace a personal trainer. Then there is Dance Central, it's a lot more fun than anything the Wii offers in the casual crowd, plus it is teaching you a real world skill that you can take out of the game. The successful applications that these two titles show off, are the future for Kinect, not gaming.

Then again, maybe I am just not hard-core enough for gaming anymore. I have spent more time on iPhone and flash games, that I can play while watching TV, than 360 and PS3 games in the past year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.