Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Kinect Support

Concept »

Kinect is a camera and depth sensor-based peripheral for the Xbox 360 that allows users to interact with and play games using their whole bodies, rather than using a standard controller.

What's the difference between the Kinect and the Eyetoy?

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By beatlebrainiac

Serious question. I know alot of people like to troll by comparing the two, and I'm not trying to do that. I guess I'm not exactly technically savvy, and I was just wondering if anyone smarter than me could give some technical details on what makes it better/different. Thanks GB community! <>

PS Dance Central looks awesome.

Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Dingofighter

Well the short version is that the Kinect camera is a 3D camera, like the 3DS has, and therefore it can capture depth, AKA judge how far away the player is and such, while the PS Eye camera is just a regular camera. 
    There probably is a lot more to it than that but this is the major difference between the two.

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By thatfrood

Kinect captures 3d images and has fairly sophisticated tech for processing those images. The eye is pretty much just a camera.

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By beatlebrainiac

Ah, that makes sense I guess. So then my next question is, how well will it perform in different environments? I know the EyeToy had alot of trouble getting enough light, and I'm curious if I'm going to have to bring in a bunch of lamps to play the Kinect.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By spaceturtle

Anyone got any examples to how the 3D stuff in the Kinect works. Like, which games have they shown so far which really takes advantage of the fact that the camera picks up on the depth in the "frame". Cause I can't recall having seen any games so far doing that. Not any different than the EyeToy that is.

Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Semition
    @SPACETURTLE said:

" Anyone got any examples to how the 3D stuff in the Kinect works. Like, which games have they shown so far which really takes advantage of the fact that the camera picks up on the depth in the "frame". Cause I can't recall having seen any games so far doing that. Not any different than the EyeToy that is. "

With a 3D camera, Kinect is much better at mapping out body parts and detecting how they are moving.
    Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Clinkz

Kinect actually KINECTS you to the game. That eyetoy is just an eyetoy.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Semition:  
    Yeah, I get that. I was just wondering if there actually were any games taking advantage of this 3D camera stuff. Cause so far from what I've seen from E3 it doesn't seem like any of the announced Kinect games does. Or I'm just not getting how the technology works.
    PS3RG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PS3RG

are you talking about the EYETOY or do you mean the PS EYE?

beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By beatlebrainiac

Thought they were the same thing, to be honest. I guess the PSEye if it's the newer version.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeust
    @SPACETURTLE said:

" @Semition:  Yeah, I get that. I was just wondering if there actually were any games taking advantage of this 3D camera stuff. Cause so far from what I've seen from E3 it doesn't seem like any of the announced Kinect games does. Or I'm just not getting how the technology works. "

People may dismiss it, but as a workout program/game it seems very promising. You never saw this with the Eyetoy, or even Wii Fit.
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Jeust:  
    When she is kicking and punching those cubes I don't really see how the depth of the 3D comes into the picture. You could easily do something like this on the Eyetoy, just way less precise of course. I'm not saying the the Eyetoy is better, or even close to as good as the Kinect technology, I'm just saying, so far they seem to be working the exact same way, only the Kinect is way more precise.
    beatlebrainiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By beatlebrainiac

I actually like alot of the Kinect stuff they've shown, I'm just having a hard time swallowing the bitter pill that is the pricing so far. 60 bucks seems harsh for what alot of these games are offering.

Dany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Dany

Well, their are two cameras, a sensor and a motor on the bottom to move. What I really want to know is what that sensor thing picks up

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeust
    @SPACETURTLE:  

Yeah. That's the thing, in most things, Kinetic is more precise, what gives a much wider range of games. You can have a precise fitness game, and a great workout without leaving the room.  

It was other things like voice commands, that you can see with the hands off controls on the xbox they already implemented and showed on stage. 

But like in most things, it's still in the infant stage. People are just start to explore the tech. 
    SammydesinasNL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SammydesinasNL

Eyetoy isn't Kinect, it's the xbox live vision cam.
    Semition

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Semition
    @SPACETURTLE: The "game" requires you to kick forward. For a 2D camera, kicking right and kicking forward-right looks extremely similar, because its only from one view. With the 3D camera, it's able to detect whether a person is moving forward and backwards and exactly how far.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeust
    @Semition said:

" @SPACETURTLE: The "game" requires you to kick forward. For a 2D camera, kicking right and kicking forward-right looks extremely similar, because its only from one view. With the 3D camera, it's able to detect whether a person is moving forward and backwards and exactly how far. "

And if you see the ground in the presentation there is a delimited square, that is digitalized on screen. 
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By eclipsesis

I think Sony said that they could give the PS eye Kinect functionality with a software update. If i recall correctly 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Jeust
    @eclipsesis said:

" I think Sony said that they could give the PS eye Kinect functionality with a software update. If i recall correctly  "

If they ever do it, you will stand correct, but doesn't look like it, or they would have announced it already. 
    spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By spaceturtle
    @Jeust said:
    " @SPACETURTLE:   Yeah. That's the thing, in most things, Kinetic is more precise, what gives a much wider range of games. You can have a precise fitness game, and a great workout without leaving the room.   It was other things like voice commands, that you can see with the hands off controls on the xbox they already implemented and showed on stage.  But like in most things, it's still in the infant stage. People are just start to explore the tech.  "
    Yeah, it is still early on, you definitely got a point there. No, I'm really excited to see what will come for the Kinect in the future. But right now, the only thing that looks slightly interesting is the Kinect Adventure stuff. Man, that looks like fun. "And the water looks so realistic as well". 

@Semition said:
    " @SPACETURTLE: The "game" requires you to kick forward. For a 2D camera, kicking right and kicking forward-right looks extremely similar, because its only from one view. With the 3D camera, it's able to detect whether a person is moving forward and backwards and exactly how far. "
    I guess your right. You do have to kick forward to reach that cube / box. I just really want to see it in some real action you know. To see how good that tech really is. 

@eclipsesis said:
    " I think Sony said that they could give the PS eye Kinect functionality with a software update. If i recall correctly  "
    I'm not saying this is bullshit. But it sure sounds like it. Cause giving a 2D camera 3D functionality is crazy.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @eclipsesis said:
    I doubt it.  If that were true, Microsoft could have just done a software update with the live vision cam.  There were some shitty games on XBLA that used the vision cam to play. 
    lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By lego_my_eggo

the eyetoy or playstation eye can only see in 2d, kinect can see in 3d. with a 2d camera you can still pull off some of the things kinect can do, but it would be very hard for it to make a 3d interpretation of you by just measuring your body parts. it could track you like it dose move by measuring you and adjusting the depth by how big our small you get, but if could easily lose track in a low lit room or with the same color clothes etc. you would have to put on colored gloves and shoes for it to track you and im sure even then it would mess up.

with the technology they use in kinect it can easily track a punch or kick no matter how you do it, and it has less of a chance or losing track in a low lit room, or because of the clothes you wear. in terms of games it seams you can play it more naturally then you did the eyetoy, you can punch at the screen rather then off to the side because your not limited to a 2d plane.

i personally have not seen a game that has made me think there is no way that this game could not done on an eyetoy like device, but this thing just came out. the tech to make it better is there we just need the one game to show people this is how you use it.

eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By eclipsesis
    @SPACETURTLE:

@MAN_FLANNEL:

I myself, don't think its that likely, but you know how rumors are. But for arguments sake, i have a work colleague who works at a university in Mancheaster in video design, making software for digital cameras and HD cameras used to film movies; and after watching the E3 coverage he said himself that a lot of that technology can be emulated with software.

and here is a link, stating some added functionality to the PS eye  http://www.destructoid.com/sony-s-new-pseye-features-taste-like-project-natal-140083.phtml

J0rb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#25  Edited By J0rb

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/06/19/kinect-how-it-works-from-the-company-behind-the-tech/ 

Basically the Kinect camera has some tech/processors on board that can recognize limbs and human shapes.  The Eyetoy is a basically a USB webcam from what I understand.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
    @eclipsesis said:
    which they couldn't.
    Let alone that eyetoy is how old? its basically still using the same tech in the ps2 eye toy, the kinect camera is far more up to date and advance capable of catching higher quality info, and it has 2 lenses I do believe.
    there is no way you could software update the eyetoy and have it do the same thing with just 1 lense and specially with the difference in quality capturing between the units.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jeust
    @SPACETURTLE said:

" @Jeust said:

" @SPACETURTLE:   Yeah. That's the thing, in most things, Kinetic is more precise, what gives a much wider range of games. You can have a precise fitness game, and a great workout without leaving the room.   It was other things like voice commands, that you can see with the hands off controls on the xbox they already implemented and showed on stage.  But like in most things, it's still in the infant stage. People are just start to explore the tech.  "
    Yeah, it is still early on, you definitely got a point there. No, I'm really excited to see what will come for the Kinect in the future. But right now, the only thing that looks slightly interesting is the Kinect Adventure stuff. Man, that looks like fun. "And the water looks so realistic as well". 

@Semition said:
    I guess your right. You do have to kick forward to reach that cube / box. I just really want to see it in some real action you know. To see how good that tech really is. 

@eclipsesis said:
    I'm not saying this is bullshit. But it sure sounds like it. Cause giving a 2D camera 3D functionality is crazy. "
    Probably with a software update it would never work as well as with Kinetic, but it could interpret 3D movement, as a 3D position is composed by 3D points, vectors and their interpretation, and Kinetic is heavily software based, but it most definitely doesn't have the same level of complexity.  
    eclipsesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By eclipsesis
    @WilliamRLBaker:

A bit defensive. Anyways all hardware can be simulated/emulated at some point, the software just needs to catch up.

If you check out my later post i say that i don't think its that possible, but a friend of mine who his a professional in his field, said it could be emulated, and i take his word over yours buddy. he did however mention that because the PS eye is not built like that, it would need a fixed reference point to which it could use to measure the depth of the person on the 3D platform.

What i think is good about Kinect is that it isn't just a camera like everyone states it is but is a combination of lots of technologies which come together to make the Kinect experience, its these other technologies which the PS eye couldn't emulate, this is however very broadly speaking. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.