Wii-hash?

Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

So the Microsoft press conference left me scratching my head. Between what appears to me to be the indoctrination of children at a young age to love virtual animals as much as real ones, and the uncanny almost copy-cat like presentation of the Kinect as Wii for your 360, I am at a loss for words. Why wasn't this thing aimed at the people who have supprted MS's consoles for the last 10 years? Are we really interested in paying $100-150 for Kinect and $50-60 for what amount to Wii games in look and feel? I for one, am not.  

I may seem delusional here, but this is what I took away from the Kinectimals presentation(the one with the too-cute-for-words child actor and the tiger): Children that are at the age that they are aiming this at, have not developed enough emotionally to differentiate a virtual pet from a real one. They will give the same amount of affection to something that isn't real, and I think this is exactly what microsoft wants. They want these children dependent on their systems. Scares me to no end really.

#1 Posted by Jayzilla (2555 posts) -

So the Microsoft press conference left me scratching my head. Between what appears to me to be the indoctrination of children at a young age to love virtual animals as much as real ones, and the uncanny almost copy-cat like presentation of the Kinect as Wii for your 360, I am at a loss for words. Why wasn't this thing aimed at the people who have supprted MS's consoles for the last 10 years? Are we really interested in paying $100-150 for Kinect and $50-60 for what amount to Wii games in look and feel? I for one, am not.  

I may seem delusional here, but this is what I took away from the Kinectimals presentation(the one with the too-cute-for-words child actor and the tiger): Children that are at the age that they are aiming this at, have not developed enough emotionally to differentiate a virtual pet from a real one. They will give the same amount of affection to something that isn't real, and I think this is exactly what microsoft wants. They want these children dependent on their systems. Scares me to no end really.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.